1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay guys: Are you more comfortable around women?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheMailman, Sep 12, 2013.

1. TheMailman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As the title said: are you guys more comfortable around women than other men? And why?
    Any experiences on the subject you'd care to share?

With me, this is a definite yes. Most of my friends are girls, and I'm much easier/less awkward around them. They also seem to be a lot easier around gay men, I've noticed (and experienced), even when the person isn't out yet.

I'd just thought to share a rather pleasant experience I had today, which made me think about all this:
    It was sports period, but it had luckily rained, so we didn't have to do anything like soccer, or rugby, which I suck at (we do our spots on the rugby field, you see. It's open aired.). So the other boys had all taken a ball one of them pulled out of his bag, and went to kick it in the car park. All the girls had taken shelter from the wind in the cafeteria, and I noticed amongst them my friend S. I decided to join her there, and in no time I was chatting away with all the girls at the table. They treated me as they would a girl, I suppose. Sharing photo's of guys they like, and laughing at how ridiculous men can be. Other subjects like the up-coming Spring Ball also cropped up. Even when talking about rather personal stuff, no-one seemed to notice I was a man after a while. This made me very happy, not having to, for a short period of time, have my ears bombarded by "duuuuuuude, nice score on that hot chick, dur hur", and talking to people (apart from my afore-mentioned girl friends) who seemed to have more tender feelings. No-one there knew I was gay, though, but if they had asked, I would have told the truth. In fact I almost wish they had. :bang:

Not all men are like that though (like my crush), but generally straight men are, well...you know what I mean. :icon_wink

2. JessicaWolfess

More comfotable around other guys :slight_smile:

3. LinkLarkin

I definitely was when I was in primary school. In fact, I'm pretty sure some of my classmates suspected I was gay from that many years before I worked it out. Since then I've been pretty equally comfortable with girls and guys though. I certainly wouldn't fit in with the jocks that you've been describing, but perhaps I've just been lucky enough to attend a high school where not all guys are like that. And at college and university, I've almost exclusively been friends with nerds so...

But yeah, I think I probably have similar numbers of guy and girl friends at the moment.

4. Nick07

definitely not :slight_smile:

5. Anomie

Anomie Guest

This question has so many variables.

If the group is all women(more than 2-3), then no.
    If the group is all straight men and homophobic, then yes.
    If the group is all gay men or accepting men, then no.
    If the group is mixed and the males are peacocking, then yes.
    If the group is mixed and lgbt or accepting, then no.

For me it comes down to the conversations and if I can anticipate what might be said. I've been in groups of all women and I don't enjoy myself at all. If its just one or two girl friends then I'm usually fine.

I don't like group settings where any of the people are trying to show off or have to 1up someone or pick on others. Or when a friend acts totally different towards me because others are around. I'm the one that calls people out and tells them to stfu because no one is interested in that. I also will just leave or never involve myself in any social setting that makes me uncomfortable or upset.

TLDR: No, I prefer the company of my male friends.:thumbsup:

6. leer

I dont mind really .

7. TheMailman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Huh, guess I'm the only one (like I'm not used to that:lol:slight_smile:. I do prefer the company of male friends, but most males in my school are the jock stereotype. I find females are generally nicer to talk to, if only because of the afore-mentioned reason. The only other males I can easily talk with is my best friend and gay crush.

8. ScatteredEarth

I guess it's just as equal as my attractions now that i think of it. Hmm things are starting to come together lol

9. Formality

I think it's more about the personality of the people. I hate the straight guy/douchebag/low iq kinda type, but really I don't have trouble talking to those who are less like that, those who don't feel a need to constantly assert themselves like many of these guys I mentioned earlier do. Then again I do kinda get along a lot better with girls. But there are those kind of girls I just can't stand as well, like the overly pretentious "pretty" girls, if you know what I mean.

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Mixed bag. I mean, granted, most of my close friends are female. Tends to be because either I knew them before I came out or we're fellow writers. Frankly, tends to be a female majority in the writing field (at least as far as critique group representation goes).

Not as comfortable around straight men. I dunno, unless they're an ally (or happen to be trans*), not much to go off of. Other queer men- get along just fine, easier than I tend to do lately with women.

11. 461 467

I'm not comfortable around women at all. I prefer to be around men.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Looking back over time, I'd have to say I'm more comfortable around men. When I was a kid, I played (not like that) with other boys from school and in the neighborhood. I opened up to having women friends late in high school and in early college when I was having a rough time upstairs. I then went back to having a larger share of male friends. Many of the women I was friends with are no longer friends, except for a few who are sincere friends, don't trespass boundaries, and are respectful. The rest faded, because there was sometimes a mean spirited exchanges, a conflict of interests, or because they got married and our lives pulled us apart. It's a lot easier for me to hang around guys. My only suggestion is don't befriend a guy you're also attracted to. I've never done it.

13. Mist3rI

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    id say im more comfortable around guys, girls are something else

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This thread is interesting in a way. Some gay guys, who are, for lack of a better descriptor, Kinsey 6s, even in their teens or 20s, have already established patterns of having almost exclusively male friends or exclusively female friends. I've often wondered why that is.

15. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always have been. Men, or at least str8 men, intimidate the HELL out of me...using the men's restroom is the most terrifying experience ever, so basically unless there's a family bathroom, I just hold it :\

I just get along better with girls in general. Especially gay girls, OMG why do more people not realize that gay boy + gay girl = friendship made in heaven? Same community, same interests, and ZERO sexual attraction on either end :grin:

Soo, yeaah, almost all my friends are girls. The only boy friend I would want in my life would be a BOYfriend, and grrr I want that baad, haha. I would have gay guy friends, tho, probably if I knew more but then it might get awkward for the same reasons str8 people don't have a lot of opposite sex friends..

#15 chercheur, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  16. Bolin

I suppose I'm more comfortable around women, just based on the sole fact that I tend to get along with them better and make friends with them easier. But that being said, my relationships with men last much longer than they do with women and I'm much often more emotionally invested. I think my relationships with my family (which is mostly comprised of women) probably affected my relationships with non-family female friends.

I should also mention that in general, I'm extremely awkward around anybody, regardless of gender. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Van

Van

I've always felt more comfortable around girls. I feel weird around guys. :dry: I just get along better with girls.

18. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I donĀ“t know what to do with or say to girls, unless they are into cars and act like a guy, basicly.
    So, more comfortable around other men.

19. Data

Data Guest

Well, yes and no. I am usually more comfortable around women, but I don't understand them and sometimes I don't want to deal with the drama.

I am also comfortable around guys that aren't my type. There's no attraction and no shyness. If the guy is my type and cute, I turn into a shy, clumsy mess.

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think women appreciate some of my humor more than men do. More men like it than women, but some women get it better than some men. I do it around both though.