1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it weird for an only kid to be gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

I am an only child but I am gay, but then people have these theories that more kids you have the probability of gayness goes up.

But thats not true for me.

2. ScatteredEarth

Apparently it has something to do with the mother growing some sort of immunity after so many kids that the female trait becomes more dominant. I'm no expert lol but it would explain why my brother acts like a little girl sometimes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Anomie

Anomie Guest

I am an only child too. I don't know if its really weird or not.

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I´m an only child.

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I read is that when a woman is pregnant with a boy, her body sees the male fetus as a foreign object and begins to develop antibodies against it, as well as shooting estrogen at it to try and feminize the fetus. This would explain why statistically, each successive boy a woman has, the higher chance he has of being gay.

Another theory that's out there is that every fetus, male or female, starts out female, even though you have the "Y" chromosome. At a certain stage in pregnancy, the mother's body releases testosterone to make the fetus, and especially its brain, masculine.

If the body doesn't release enough testosterone to reach the brain and the part of the brain that controls sexuality and sexual attraction, then the boy might be gay.

I honestly think there may be a genetic factor involved. I'm the first of two, and I'm gay, and my brother is incredibly feminine. Three of my maternal grandmother's seven children are LGBT, and three of the grandchildren (myself included) are LGBT. It could actually be as high as 7-10 of the grandchildren, as some show signs of it but aren't out of the closet. On my dad's side, one of my cousins might be gay, but it's a big "might."

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My half sister (same dad, different mother) is lesbian, and I'm my mom's first child and bi. My younger brother is apparently straight. So in my family at least we completely flout that pattern. :S

7. Ohhai

Why would it be weird?! :s xx

8. ScatteredEarth

Essentially what i was going for. I'm just so tired and didn't feel like typing too much on this phone that i didn't say the right words. I was referring to that animation on the subject

9. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, it goes for my boyfriends´situation. His oldest brother is straight, the next was bi and my boyfriend is gay.
    But I don´t think there is much evidence to support the theories.

10. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm the first-born child, however my mom had an abortion before I was born. So I wasn't the first one in the womb. Perhaps that also applies to you?

The other possibility is that the amount of antibodies directed at you was abnormally high.

11. ScatteredEarth

I had to laugh because out of the three children my mother had, my sister is right handed, I'm left handed and my brother is ambidextrous. My sister has my dad's personality, i have my mom's and my brother is a clear mix of both. My sister is blue eyed, I'm brown eyed and my brother is green eyed. Like wtf.. it couldn't have gotten split better. Lol and who knows maybe my brother will be gay :astonished:

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know. I've seen straight and gay only children, and I have no clue as to what the genesis of it is.

As for this more male children theory, I'm not biting. I've seen families with 7 boys, all straight, and families with 3 or 4 boys, and all gay.

One birth order situation I've seen is when there's a long string of sisters and then finally a boy, or a long string of brothers and then finally a girl. I've seen that the last child's overall style is a little less typical of their gender, but I've also seen all sexual preferences among the last born in these sequences.

13. AmityRanch

The idea is simply that there's a higher chance of it occurring.
    It's never been guaranteed that the youngest child will be gay.
    No scientist has ever made that claim.

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, is it an idea, or have they come up with scientific stats on this happening? I think that, for childbearing women who have certain hormonal makeups, this is possible, and for women who don't, then it won't happen. So, I sort of believe that it happens in some families, but not across the board.

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely right, it's more a tendency than a certainty, but the effect is statistically significant. Nevertheless, it is a very weak predictor.

I am first-born, with three sisters...go figure.

16. LinkLarkin

I'm the second born but the first boy so unfortunately the successive pregnancy theory doesn't apply to me.

I do think it's an intriguing and very plausible theory, but I also think there's tons of stuff to do with epigenetics that hasn't made it in there, as well as naturally low testosterone levels in some women. And presumably women who tried that hard to fight off their male foetus would also be at a higher risk of pre-eclampsia? Plus successive pregnancy theory alone can't explain lesbians/transmen etc.

Going off topic. My point is that I'm the first boy and I'm gay.

17. AmityRanch

No. It's a theory.
    I like how you took my usage of the word 'idea' that seriously.

Using 'idea' in the context I used it in was simply a figure of speech.
    Nothing more, nothing less.

In this situation, stats are irrelevant.
    Even if only 1-1000 younger brothers were straight, you still wouldn't use that statistic to disprove the theory (which is why your original argument against it, failed).
    Having an older brother simply increases the chance of homosexuality by a third.

That clearly doesn't guarantee they'll be gay, it just makes it more likely.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-173878/Boys-big-brothers-likely-gay.html
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/45962.php

Here's a couple links for you.

#17 AmityRanch, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  18. Wells

Wells Guest

I'm my mums only child...

19. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I'm not an only child, but all I have is one younger sister, and I'm gay....which is supposed to be relatively improbable according to the male birth order theory. (Meanwhile my father was the youngest of 3 sons, and he is straight).

Also that theory doesn't explain the existence of lesbians at all. There would have to be an equivalent process to explain them, but it would make little sense for a mother's female body to somehow 'masculinize' a female fetus inside her.

20. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I'm not an only child, I was a first born and I'm a queer transguy. So I don't know how weird that is.