1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metrosexuals

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I laughed the first time I heard this term. I pictured a stylish guy going off to an $80 haircut in Manhattan. I have my own idea of this, but then I hear more reports of what others think it is, and it sort of differs from what I think. What's your opinion on what metrosexual means?

2. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    80$ for a haircut in manhattan is avrage

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's what I was afraid of. And that's why I don't live there. LOL.

4. Data

Data Guest

To me, a Metro guy is straight, but cares about his appearence very much. He dresses in clothes that could make him appear gay. Straight guys throw on a T-shirt and sweatjacket, and Metro guys put on a turtleneck sweater and a sweater vest. :/ Does that make sense? That's what it means to me. Almost like the fashion/style aspect of a gay guy transplanted into a straight guy's body. Everyone's different though. I'm gay, and I look completely straight. So when you say "Metrosexual" that's what I think about.

5. Night

Night Guest

A metrosexual to me is a straight guy who takes excessive care of his looks - every little thing about his style is on purpose (nothing's accidental) and he wears expensive, flashy clothing in the newest and trendiest styles.

He also has the personality of a walnut.

6. LinkLarkin

I've always thought that a meterosexual was a straight guy with stereotypically gay characteristics. Sense of fashion, lots of female friends, uses moisturiser, spends too long in front of the mirror, goes to "trendy" clubs...

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always thought of it as a feminine guy with the high voice and body shape who's actually straight.

8. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Metrosexuals can be annoying because it makes it harder to tell who is gay and who is straight. This can be difficult especially in Europe or in trendy urban areas of the U.S., where metrosexuals seem to flourish.

Though the term is pretty silly, since there is nothing sexual about dressing in fashionable clothes and taking care of one's appearance.

But of course I fully support the right of any man to be as stereotypically 'feminine' as he wants, even if he isn't sexually interested in other men. Although it is harder for metrosexuals to find partners, since people will think they are gay and straight women usually want masculine men as lovers. Which is why I am glad I am just plain old gay and can dress and act as I please without any fear of being called "gay" or being rejected by women for being too 'metro'.

9. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Parts of it were funny. The 2 guys in the tub with stuff on their face was a compromising position. Yikes.

So, it looks like it's a straight guy, by definition. I thought it could veer away from straight. If it's straight, I would imagine metrosexuals to be somewhat uncommon. Could being cultured, but not accessorized, also be considered metro, or is it entirely driven by external manifestations?

11. Data

Data Guest

Ya know, I'd almost be tempted to say the "swag" straight guys are approaching metrosexuality.

If metros are straight guys who care about their looks and almost look gay due to their fashion and style choices, the swag guys fall into that category.

Some kind of baseball cap or beanie
    Long hair usually "skater cut"
    V neck shirt or tank top
    Usually a belt buckle that's visible
    Skinny jeans that are black tan or grey
    Converse or vans
    Maybe gauges or piercings

That's almost a good fit for metro. You care that you look "swagger (or some shit IDK)" and you appear gay to the outside observer.

^BTW these friggen guys throw me for a loop all the damn time. ALL THE TIME!

12. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Hmm, idk, I don't think that description really fits the traditional image of a metrosexual. Metrosexuals are more likely to be fancily dressed up in like designer labels and have a more European look to them.

Though maybe the definition has expanded to include a variety of different types of metrosexuals in recent years.

13. Data

Data Guest

I agree in a way, which is why I'm tempted to say so, but not fully convinced to say so. The guys that I petsonally know of who dress like this (even though it's not really flattering of a style) care about their appearence a LOT. They spend lots of time doing their hair with clay or gel and they match their clothes. I don't even match my clothes.

It's tough (labels) because you can almost split a hair into individual atoms. I just recently learned about "otters" and "pups" and "muscle twinks" and I thought it was crazy to get THAT precise with labels.

I like labels to a degree because it is easy to throw out a label and convey the general idea of what you are. Here though, is a good example of how exponential splitting of sub-groups causes the label system to fail.

What then do you call the swagger guys? I've only ever heard them called "swag fags" but I hate that. They aren't gay and it's used in a derrogatory way. Not something I like.

14. Naren

And here I am, being a square, seeing "metrosexual" and thinking

"Wow, that Marta bus looks pretty hot today"

15. ScatteredEarth

Grr they throw my gaydar off :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Then again.. I did see a subway train the other day and nearly lost it. That thing was fuckin sexxyyyyy