1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not that type of reaction..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by this is me, Sep 12, 2013.

1. this is me

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    so, I have came out to 11 people so far, and I hadn't had anyone disapprove of my being gay...but today I did get that reaction...I was told it was just a phase and that whatever im going through could be treated....well....theres the life of a lesbian..... :/

2. RoguesWolfe

Cool that you basically got the same reactions as me with the people I've told, but there's always going to be those few people who don't quite understand. Aye just ignore em, be you, and who you are only matters to you. ^-^.

3. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. That sucks. Sorry 'bout that. My first reaction to the first non-gay person I told was her trying to find out WHY I was gay and how to cure me. She made me feel so small and worthless. I got similar reactions to other people I told, tho some were REALLY awesome and nice about it.

It really DOES suck, but you know, you know who you are and that's all that really matters. Everyone else's opinion is just coming from their own ignorance. They have no idea what it's like to walk in your shoes, only you do, and until they do, they don't get the option of having their opinion matter.

4. RoguesWolfe

^-^ Yup I agree!

5. Sully

I dread this! If someone in my family says something like 'oh it's just because you've never had a girlfriend'. I'm liable to snap! My response will probably be along the lines of 'I'VE NEVER HAD A GIRLFRIEND BECAUSE I'M GAY!', with a number of colourful expletives added in :wink:

6. Mysz

"It's just a phase" is one of the most frustrating reasons disbelievers give.

7. 2112

Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, lesbians aren't taken as seriously as gay guys and those reactions seem to be more common :confused:. But, as far as I can tell, lesbians also seem to get a little less actual hate. But maybe that's just what I see as a gay guy.

8. penguin machine

Girls have that hurdle of "Maybe she's just a s***." To cross and it really makes me sad. For some reason, our society sees two men being involved as a serious deviation from the norm but two women as a regular nightly form of fun. Society has a lot to learn.

9. this is me

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    that just made my day....

10. ScatteredEarth

My mother tried telling me it was a phase, but I got really uppity and she revoked her statement. I know what her intentions were but she pissed me off and I almost yelled at her in the middle of a springs. Things are going much better now though ^_^ After that hurdle I was able to come out to what was it.. 4 people?