1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Willow and Tara--The Best of Times

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MeskElil, May 25, 2008.

1. MeskElil

For anyone who has seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
    What is your favorite Willow-Tara moment?

Mine is, for some inexplicable reason, that one little kiss as the two are going up the stairs at the Bronze a couple episodes before Tara breaks up with Willow...it's just so matter-of-fact and sweet.

What's yours?

2. BadAndy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like when they hold hands and shove that vending machine in front of the door in Hush!

I also like when Willow brings Tara's brain back from Glory.

But when Willow went to avenge Tara's brain scramble from Glory when she went all floaty and black eyed was my favorite part..even though it's not technically a Willow/Tara moment...But I like when she used her magic on Glory :icon_bigg

(I'm a Buffy nerd btw...)

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think my favourite was the first time they kissed, which was during the episode where Buffy's mum Joyce died. It was just such an appropriate time and such a... real moment. I'm rewatching Season 5 right now with a friend and kinda dreading and anticipating that episode equally.

4. Tim

Tim

THe only scenes I remember are the scenes when Tara is attacked by Glory (with her hands in the head thing...) and then her being shot :frowning2: I tend to forget sweet scenes with scenes of death... >_<

5. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh I was so furious when she was shot! It made me glad to see the next episode where Willow kicked ass!

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was a whole lot of flack about that when it happened, given that Willow and Tara were the show's (and one of TV's) only functional, relatively happy same-sex couples and it happened just after they reunited. Joss Whedon, the show's creator, went on and on about how the story "wasn't about what people wanted but what they needed" so now me and my friend mock him by saying the cancellation of Firefly wasn't what he wanted but it's what he needed.

Frankly I think it was just bad writing, especially the way it happened. Now Buffy's mother's death? That was well done. Tara's death was incredibly gratuitous and stupid. They just wanted some excuse for Willow to go off the deep end but then a good portion of season 6 was garbage that way, like the whole "magic as an analogy for drug addiction" angle.

7. MeskElil

Yeah, i think most of season six was garbage, and I refused to watch any more after "Seeing Red" (where Tara died). I mean, that might seem a little immature of me, but Willow and Tara were my favorite couple in the entire series (even topping Willow and Oz, and they were pretty good.)
    I'm glad that Joss got a lot of flak for that. It really was an awful way for Tara to die--and bad timing, too. But there were signs throughout season six...I'm disappointed, though.
    I found this AWESOME video on youtube that's a compilation of Willow and Tara images to the song "My Immortal" by Evanescence (if that's how you spell it). http://youtube.com/watch?v=bcg5EHRlWtA
    It's just so beautiful, and anyone who's a Willow-and-Tara fan will love it, I think.
    Yay, youtube!
    And I agree--their first on-screen kiss after Joyce died was their best...in fact I have a picture of it in my profile :grin: . It was brilliant. But Joss got a lot of flak for that, too, because "Oh my god! Lesbians kissing onscreen?! That's not right!"
    :rolleyes: Closed-minded idiots...

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to respect him for their first kiss, because he fought hard apparently to make sure it happened that way, as the most natural thing in the world, and not to be a straight-boy's-dream-come-true moment.

9. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I absolutely loved the Willow-Tara storyline (now I know why!) and think it was very well-written...apart from the bit where Tara was shot, which I really did not expect! When it happened I was taken entirely by surprise and jumped up and started to shout at the screen...

But sadly I can't really remember too many moments...I remember when Oz came back, and then when Willow was talking to Buffy, but Buffy didn't get that Willow and Tara were together, and then you see it click in Buffy's head, and she's like "Oh...*Oh*". I found that rather funny.

I thought it lovely the way that Willow would nurse Tara whilst her mind had been taken by Glory. But mainly I remember when they got together (and of course *that* spell - clearly trying to get round the censors!), and when Tara died.

What I really liked about that storyline was that it WASN'T about being gay, or coming out, or homophobia, or anything like that: they were just in love, and that was it.

10. Tim

Tim

Yea, and buffy's reaction to finding out willow was a lesbian was just so real, you know what I mean?

Here's a tidbit not related to Willow/Tara... did you guys know Anya was supposed to be killed off way earlier then the finale, but the actress kept moving in her "death scene" so they had to write her as a main character? XD

11. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I may be looking in the wrong places but I haven't seen any TV gay couples as perfect as Willow and Tara. What I loved about it was, as ccdd said, there wasn't a big thing about them being gay or coming out, they were a perfectly ordinary and natural couple, neither was a token gay character

I wasn't too happy with the initial development of their relationship, it did seem to only simmer away in the background for most of series 4, with only those cheeky spell scenes as an indication that more was going on. It was sad that the show took so long to show their first kiss, but it was perfectly placed in the episode where Joyce died.

Despite my reluctance for Willow to move on from Oz, Willow & Tara were a great couple. I have to agree killing off Tara was horrible. Joss Whedon does have a tendency to kill off great characters that he loves and we love just for the sake of it. I didn't like how Willow got together with Kennedy in series 7

Favourite moment - either their first on-screen kiss, or when Tara gets her mind back after Willow reverses the Glory brainsucking thing, which was a sweet moment. If I was a lesbian I'm sure I'd love the end of "Under Your Spell" in the musical.

I'm not sure but I think that's a joke. That's in 'The Gift' where Buffy dies, Anya moves while she's in Xander's arms. It may be true, I don't know if it's specified in the script that she's survived so it is possible. However, Anya was never meant to be a main character, she was only supposed to be the villain in one episode at first but they just kept bringing her back

If we're going for tidbits of information, I heard Joss intended to resurrect Tara at the end of series 7, giving her and Willow a happy ending, but Amber Benson who played Tara didn't want to return as it meant she'd have to play "The First Evil" earlier in the series and she didn't want to make Tara evil.

12. BadAndy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really liked "Under Your Spell" in the musical too. I can't believe I forgot about that.

In regards to Anya...She was my favorite character and part of me died with her. Joss should have killed off Giles or Dawn instead! :tears:

13. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dawn was very superfluous after Season 5, yes. And annoying, although that was more the writers' fault than Michelle Trachtenberg's.

Anya was killed because the actress requested to be written out, which was weird given that Buffy was ending. Guess she didn't want to be asked to guest star on Angel?

But the way Anya died was just so lame given how great her character was. But then nearly 99% of Season 7 was an abomination, so I tend to pretend Buffy ended with the musical ep, which was insanely good.

14. Leigh

Leigh Guest

i quite agree. i only kept watching it for SPIKE <3<3<3<3

my fave willow/tara storyline moment was the bit when they were walking down the corridor at school, and willow says something about how she colour codes her notes, although some people think thats weird.cant remember the details cus i havent watched it in ages, but i just remember how sweet it was.

i also loved willows coming out to buffy. "oz likes tara??!".... "no...not oz"

:icon_bigg

15. MeskElil

yeah, i refused to watch any more episodes after tara died. i heard that season seven was a complete waste of time--i'm glad i didn't stick with it :slight_smile:
    i don't really like anya so much...she's a funny character at times, but it's a little...forced at other times. i mean, the writing for her. it was so sad when she walked down the aisle at her not-wedding in Hell's Bells, though...i cried, and I never cry during BtVS.
    and I'm mad at Joss for cutting off Tara's song in the musical! it was SO pretty...and he cut it off mid-word. i mean, it was funny, but it ruined the song, sort of.
    but the musical episode was surprisingly REALLY good, i have to say.
    my favorite character in the ENTIRE series is Tara, though. at first i didn't know why (now i do :slight_smile: ). Oz was pretty good, though...Willow's got good taste.

#15 MeskElil, May 27, 2008
    Last edited: May 27, 2008