1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advantages of being gay

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, Sep 13, 2013.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    One big advantage is having more privacy. No one can tell who I have crush on because people expect me to like guys. It is also amusing to hear people talk about guys they think I like. No one has ever commented about the girls I like.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Self-awareness. I don't know for sure (haven't researched of course) but I imagine straight people generally don't do as much introspection. With hetero as the "default" they don't have to look at themselves so carefully before coming to a conclusion.

3. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Equal footing. With straight relationships, there's always this need for partners to assume certain roles, and I feel like that inhibits intimacy. Whereas, gay relationships, tho some choose to assume male/female roles, as a general rule they're more equal and I feel like this makes the connections more special, in a way.

4. Ridiculous

Adversity encourages growth.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apart from the benefits of not having the chance of accidental children and no restricting gender roles involved, gay people have to look into ourselves and discover who we are. It has made me look at injustice, which is fine in most straight people's minds, and I realised by looking into myself and how we face unfair and ridiculous opposition, that many others do too. Being gay is an eye-opener in many cases, and in mine, it has definitely meant that I'm not bound by conventional hypocrisy.

6. yidnah87

In my case, replace the word 'gay' with 'bi':

-Can like the same sex, but can still blend in with the straight crowd
    -More 'options' when it comes to relationships
    -Not grossed out or phobic of people of either sex
    -Can relate (to some extent) with both the gay and straight communities. Greater ability to ally with gays for equal rights despite very possibly maintaining a 'straight' relationship.

7. biggayguy

Being honest with myself and others
    Can wear fabulous things
    Go to the best parties
    Have a personal stake in fighting for equal rights

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, did you nail it here. I am sort of ashamed for using this "camouflage" trait to lie low in straight crowds, but it does come in useful and really, if anyone asked me directly my orientation, I'd tell the truth.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some good points here. I also agree with the "to some extent" because I know both gay and straight folks who don't reciprocate in kind. I say this because there have been a few gay and lesbian people I've met who I've really liked as people, for what's in their heads and for having other things in common, and who I wanted to be on friendly terms with, yet they didn't let me get closer and they were not involved with anyone. It's weird how adults can play so many stupid games and be somewhat childish. Age truly is just a number.

My friend who came up with all these acronyms and names with me came up with good observations too. He once said: "If you're a decent looking guy, you can 'do' 10 guys in a week and 1 girl in 10 weeks." I thought that was funny, thinking about the indiscriminate nature of that kind of promiscuity. I suppose it's doable, but I think that one could 'do' more than 1 girl in 10 weeks. He just needed to make the algebra work!

10. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After hours of passionate gay sex, you can - amidst the frantic rush of redressing - just grab clothes without worry of grabbing a blouse rather than your own shirt.

And gay jokes are way funnier. So I'd count that as an advantage.

11. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you tell an airline you are gay,they will put you in the front,to be near the steward..

(he is also gay)

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And in this frantic rush, you might just find that you've put your t-shirt on backwards.

---------- Post added 13th Sep 2013 at 11:28 PM ----------

Meh, I'm not so sure. That's a free upgrade to first class in most cases. Also, a matronly woman with seniority can be the steward or purser.

13. I can't get a girl pregnant (gold star gay here!). Even though teen pregnancies are extremely low at my school, being gold star gay eliminates my chances of impregnating a girl. Also, I get to know who my friends REALLY are.

14. Ohhai

I think nothing makes you grow as a person more than when you genuinely have to accept that you are LGBTQ.

15. lukeluvznicki13

I didn't know advantages existed o.e

16. oddlife35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I discovered that I actually do have a heart. (And, yeah, it can get broken.)

Also the sense that I am undercover. Straight people usually assume I'm straight, but it seems like gay people are more sensitive, so I feel like part of the X-Men. At least I'm part of something cool.

17. Ohhai

Of course there are, you just have to be in the right mindset to see it xx

18. ScatteredEarth

Well, do people question your sexuality? No? Bam advantage right there. I love my natural camouflage :3

19. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We are fabulous.

20. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I never condone creating more disparity between the different sexualities. Instead of looking for advantages to being gay and so on, we should acknowledge the fact that straight/gay/bi/whatever you identify as... we're all just people. Rivalries tend to burgeon between different groups and the fact this sort of thing is advocated in different societies all over the world troubles me. Yes, it is in some ways due to our inherently tribalistic nature, but nevertheless. I hate how when I'm with a couple of guys and a couple of girls and we're all having a debate, I feel pressured to side with the guys even though I might disagree with them.

I'm sidetracking here though; all I'm saying is I think that all people, regardless of their sexualities, should just embrace each other. Throughout human history, homophobia has been rampant and in many parts of the world today atrocious acts are still being committed. But things are getting better and to start divides between heterosexuals and non-heteros is unhealthy and unproductive.