1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMV lines

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, Sep 13, 2013.

1. I'm going to the DMV tomorrow to get my driver's handbook to study for my permit test. I got to wonder, is it the stereotypical long lines at the DMV or the lines are fairly short? I wanna be prepared.

2. Getting a handbook shouldn't be that bad... in fact, lots of Driver's Handbooks were free and available when I was younger. Places like the public library (Bruggemeyer) had them near the entrances (also available in Spanish!) for free... hahaha. If you're just getting the book, maybe they have them lying around on some brochure/book stands. Waiting in line for the handbook sounds absurd to me.

The lines at Montebello are indeed as long and bad as you can expect.

Also, isn't the DMV closed weekends?

It looks like you can download them now
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/pubs.htm

#2 phospholipase, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2013
  3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lines entirely depend on what office it is. The one in my fairly small suburban area isn't bad at all.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The California DMV has a really neat tool on their website where you can see, updated every minute, what the current wait time is at every branch in the system. It is, in fact, closed Saturday and Sunday.

There are about 5 offices within about a 20 minute drive for me, and I've found a time variation of 10 minute wait at one branch to 90 minutes at another one... and it isn't always the same one that has a low wait time. So I always check the website and go to whichever one has the shortest total time (combination of wait time + my driving time to get there.)

However, in your case, you won't have to wait at all if you're only getting a rules and regulations handbook. I think they have those sitting out along the counters.

5. 461 467

If you are only going in for the driver's handbook, then you don't need to wait in line. Just walk in and pick one up from the table where they have literature.

6. ScatteredEarth

Ugh, I should've gotten my permit last year, but I'm still without my birth cert.. Fml -.- I just want to be able to go to the store without having to wait on someone.

7. Yeah, my parents completely forgot the DMV is closed on the weekends because they haven't gone to the DMV in a long time. What about the El Monte DMV lines? Are they long?

---------- Post added 14th Sep 2013 at 08:56 AM ----------

Oh, where do I find that?

8. justjade

I haven't had good experiences with DMV's. They just always seem to be packed when I really need something done, which seriously pisses me off. But like others have said, it just depends.

9. Data

Data Guest

I hate the dmv. Crying babies, coughing people, the dinging of bells. Yuck. I hate it. The lines really depend on what you're doing and when you go. Are you sure you can't get the book online?

10. I can get the book online on the California DMV website, but I want to be able to take it anywhere.

11. Data

Data Guest

When I got my motorcycle license, I printed the entire Arizona Motorcycle Manual at my school. :grin: I said it was part of my research for a project. It was 100 pages or so.

If you CAN I'd do that. Otherwise, grab and go!

12. Blurred Horizon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When I went to the DMV to take my test, it was not a long wait (20 minutes tops from the time I entered to the time I sat down at the computer). Of course I went at 10 in the morning, but yeah. It shouldn't be long.

13. ROFL I CAN do that, but at my school, I'd have to pay about 10 cents for every page I print out. That means I have to print out $10.60 worth of a 106-page handbook.

14. Tim

Tim

If you navigate to your city's DMV page, it will have it on it. Like right now, mine says "The XXX office is closed."