1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often do you talk to or text your boyfriend/girlfriend?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rolando4, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Rolando4

This is especially aimed at people in long-distance relationships, but is open to everyone. I'm just wondering because I personally want to text my boyfriend/girlfriend all day, with maybe 20-30ish minute interval at most in between our texts. But is that asking too much? Do most people just text every now and then and just talk or Skype at night? Sorry, I know it's a weird question, but I'm really curious c:

2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, what do you say? Is it meaningful?

Personally it would drive me crazy and I would turn off the phone, cause it would feel like you are checking my moves and I don´t get the chance to do my own stuff, like my WORK which I have to concentrate on and find more important during the day than variaties of "I like you" and questions bombarded at me.

I would rather just Skype at night when I have time and am in the right mood to have a good talk.

My boyfriend lives in and we just have quality time when I´m at home. We don´t phone or text during the day unless it´s important.

3. George

I very recently started my first relationship (and it is a long-distance one). We text each other several times back and forth during the day, but the main texting happens in the evening when we are both done with class/work. I actually like the occasional texts during the day, even if they are simple ones along the lines of "Thinking about you <3". It's very sweet and it puts a smile on my face.

Every person is different, and so there is no rule for relationships in general. I'm just happy to have found a guy that loves to be affectionate like that. :slight_smile:

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    But the question: "Is that asking too much?" sounds a bit like he demands that from a partner too. But I might be wrong.

If your partner thinks it´s too much, it is. If he loves it, he loves it and will respond. Simple as that.

But you can´t use "but hey it´s normal!" if you get an argument about the frequency.

Your normal might not be his normal and you will have to figure something out that works for both of you.

5. leer

will text & talk with my BF on my lunch if he was free as we both work so maybe in the evening .I have recently moved to my own place so I live closer to him now . I wold say something if he began ringing me all the time at work .

6. ScatteredEarth

I tried to talk whenever I could really.

7. robclem21

Will usually talk briefly over lunch just to catch up quick and then we talk every night when we don't hang out.

My bf doesn't have a cell phone and it has been interesting. For the most part it has been alright. It gives me a chance to focus on other things when we aren't together or he is out, and I don't feel like he is being overbearing with wondering what is going on with me. After all, I am at work all day and there are only so many answers to whats up.

I do however miss the occasional "i miss you" or "i love you" or "thinking about you" when I am having a rough day because those seem to really push me through it sometimes. To be doing that all day every day though would just make me annoyed and really unproductive.

Normal is different in every relationships, maybe he doesn't mind getting the texts, but if you start getting upset if he doesn't respond for a few hours thats when I can see a problem starting. Don't be all over him to constantly be giving you attention and you will be fine. He has a life too and things that need to get done so he can make time for you.

8. Night

Night Guest

My ex used to text me all the fucking time, when we was at school and I was at work - then when he was done school and when he was home and when he was eating dinner and when he was laying down and when he was about to go to bed and sometimes in the middle of the night.

I fucking hated it, it was excessively clingy behaviour especially because our conversations had no meaning. They were him bitching about shit and saying "you're the best <3" and me going "uh-huh ok ok yeah ok". It would be different if our conversations had some sort of weight, but all he wanted to do was complain and then tell me how great I am.

It's all different for everyone, but I personally can't stand texting all the time.

9. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

i'd do it as much as he wanted to if i had one :slight_smile:

10. Kidd

Kidd Guest

We live together now, so I see him every morning and every night, obviously, and then while we're both at work in the evenings we'll usually be on Facebook chatting every now and then. Plus I have a three hour break between my morning shift and my evening shift, so we usually see each other then too. I'd say if we go more than an hour or two without saying something to one another, we'll get back in touch.

Before that though..I'd say we'd just send texts and stuff back and forth sporadically throughout the day. Certainly not every 20 minutes, but every couple of hours.

11. AAASAS

I dont have a cell phone so I only can call or e-mail my boyfriend. I care more about hanging out than keeping in touch because I just prefer to be with people. I try to see my boyfriend a couple times during the work week and we spend majority of weekends together, so I don't see a problem with not texting, we see eachother a lot more than most gay couples get too, he lives in the next town over so driving isn't a problem.

I would find it harder to date someone without a car than a cellphone. Communication isn't needed if you see eachother enough.

I also feel involved enough in my boyfriend's life that constant texting really isn't needed. As well I was never a big cell phone person and am not into social media all that much so I prefer real conversations anyways.

Texting usually is void of substance, and is only useful to me when wanting to plan something at a time you can't talk.

I also find it rude for people who are hanging out with me to be constantly on their cell phones, so I wouldn't work well with someone attached to their phone. It is a material thing, and not having one doesn't mean you can't communicate. I am 100% OPEN with my boyfriend about everything, I call him and complain about my shitty little problems, and I think the fact we can't text has brought us closer, because all our conversations have to be in real time with real vocals. You get to know someone better when you can hear the tone of their voice, and understand them better. If my boyfriend only texted I wouldn't be fully aware of his intentions all the time like I am with talking.

Also I am not super clingy; only when we are together can I be a bit overbearing cause I like to touch him and annoy him, so he can do whatever he wants when he is not me. I will find out about his day later, and don't need to know that he "Just went to Tim Hortons for a coffee" the exact moment he does. Personally alone time from your loved one makes the relationship healthier in my opinion. You both respect eachother as individuals and don't expect the other one to be consumed with you.

I would find it a complete turn off if my boyfriend wanted to text me every 20 minutes, I like to listen and create music for hours at a time and that would get in the way of that. Also just spending time reading on the internet would be interrupted if there was a text every 20 minutes. I also take my dog out, and go out with friends often so constant communication would take away from that partially. I mean a text every couple hourss would be fine but 20 minutes I would feel suffocated.

12. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes we talk or text a bit throughout the day, but it isn't unusual to go a day or two without communicating. Personally, I like it this way - our texts aren't usually particularly meaningful or anything anyway. But I feel like it bothers him sometimes. Probably something we should talk about.

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We skype prettty much all the time :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. bazinga91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    we talk all the time... I go away to school so we have to go sometimes up to a month w.o seeing each other which is really difficult so texting and talking on the phone makes it a bit easier. Talking to her just makes me feel like everything is going to be ok.. but personally I feel that it depends on the relationship, some couples may talk more via text/phone/Skype more than others, and you also have to take into consideration their living situation whether they are long distance, living together, etc.. constant communication may not be something everyone wants, others like to talk all the time it really just depends on the couple

15. Rolando4

Haha, I'm definitely going to try to text him less... I don't want to come off as clingy and obsessed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

16. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

All throughout the day? I'd feel so suffocated, lol. When I was in a relationship we IMed each other for an hour every night. We also saw each other at school 5x a week, though.

17. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Not very often throughout the week... she's typically extremely busy with University, while I'm busy with school and work. We'll typically text throughout the evening, and Skype or call at night for about an hour before going to sleep.

I spend every weekend at her dorms, so it makes up for the absence during the week. Though it's good that we have our own things and separate lives which makes our relationship healthier, and weekends a lot more fun :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

18. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I text my boyfriend a few times a day...

...is what I'd say IF I HAD ONE.

19. Zodavva

Texted my ex-gf all the time when we were going out but I found it a bit over the top as there was nothing to say a lot of the time. It was nice to get those little messages though lol :slight_smile: