1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating someone w/ different social/political views?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stuffiscool, Sep 15, 2013.

1. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Would you? How different is too much before you would break up with them?

2. Night Rain

Nope. I wouldn't be in such a relationship to begin with.

3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

If it were just different political views, I think we could make it work if he's not too political, as I'm not very political myself. If he has different social views, hell no.

4. Abbra

It depends on the particular issue. Like, I support gun control, but if I found a girl who was against gun control I probably wouldn't care at all. However, I couldn't be with a girl who was extremely conservative. I don't even think a girl like that would even go after me to be honest.

5. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on the social issue at hand. If, for say, we have differing ideas on racism, hell no. If we have differing views on Syria, maybe I'd be willing to give it a go.

I like guys who don't necessarily think the way I do. It's refreshing. But if he were so radically different as to have insanely outdated ideals on social issues (such as racism, as exampled above) then I'd bet neither one of us would be interested in the other.

6. robotman

I don't think it matters to me... I actually think if we had different views it would be good... I think we would have discussions and it would be interesting... I think it would be boring if you agreed on everything with someone... you would have nothing to talk about *sticks tongue out*

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not having similar goals and values are pretty much deal breakers for me.

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, ultra-liberal Democrat and a Skeletor look-alike James Carville married ultra-right-wing Republican political strategist Mary Matalin. Carville has stated in interviews that they avoid talking politics at all costs.

9. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

As for me, we don't have to agree on every issue. But I would require that they take social justice / feminism / whatever you want to call it seriously. So they'd have to be pretty liberal for US standards.

10. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Depends on the issues. If we agreed on everything, it'd probably get tedious pretty quickly. However, I could never date a racist or a homophobe. I'd like to say I could never date a sexist either but it seems to be almost everyone is sexist to one degree or another...

11. ScatteredEarth

I think that you could make it work. Just don't talk about that shit. Simple as that.

12. Tim

Tim

Different Social Views? No. A few differing would be fine though, obviously. But complete opposite of me? No. Hell no. xD

Different Political Views? Yes. Just don't talk about them in front of me, and I will do the same for him.

13. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My boyfriend really didn't get into the whole "politics" thing, and I'm a political junkie. So much so that I'd like at some point to run for elected office. State Senate would be enough to scratch that itch, I think. The highest I would ever go is probably to run for governor, but yeah, that's something that I have to do at some point.

14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a liberal/progressive, I would definitely date someone that has moderate views, but I would probably have a tough time dating someone with ultra conservative viewpoints. I definitely could not date a racist or sexist person.

15. biggayguy

They certainly get into heated discussions on-camera. There are some issues that would be deal-breakers for me.

#15 biggayguy, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could be with anyone whose differing ideas are well-justified. Disagreement doesn't mean it has to be a big ugly scene; it means one or both sides have to prove why they are right.

17. twink182

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like to tell myself that I would be comfortable with someone with views that are quite different from mine. However, I sometimes wonder if I do this because there are, in reality, so few guys (my age, at least) who are physically attractive to me in the first place. If we also have to be compatible in terms of our social or political views, I could be alone for a very long time indeed!

I am very open minded and I am usually able to see merit in both sides of a given argument. I think, therefore, where I would have a problem is if the person was not also open-minded and flexible. For example, if a person were to have very rigid views and was incapable of accepting that they may not fully understand a particular issue, have all of the facts or have failed to consider the biases of their sources, I think I would quickly grow frustrated.

18. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No. I don't respect conservatives at all. That wouldn't be a good thing in a relationship.

19. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I lean toward moderates and am a registered Independent, so I don't think I could be with someone who feels so sure of their beliefs that they are unwilling to tolerate moderation. Luckily, the majority of people really aren't fundamentalists/extremists and often take much more nuanced views than politicians would like us to believe.

20. 2112

Probably no conservatives. Other than that I really don't care.