1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going back to 1986...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BMC77, Sep 15, 2013.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting idea.

http://mashable.com/2013/09/13/family-shuns-technology/

Not sure I could do this for a year like they plan, but it's an interesting experiment. Maybe at some point I'll try a week's trial.

2. RoguesWolfe

That's actually kinda cool. Though I think I could do it since before moving in with my room mates we didnt have tv, or internet, or smart phones nothing. I was and still am using my vhs player, only different thing really is using my laptop and internet. This would be kinda fun I think.

3. leer

it`s a brave thing to do .but me personally I would be struggling after a few days after a few weeks ad be mugging old people on the street for their mobile phone.

4. twink182

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The laptop and internet is the biggest difference! I don't think even I could do it again, and I've done it once lol!

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as I knew there was cable back in 1986.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is beyond overkill. You don't need to back in time to make sure your kids can manage their electronic interaction. Because really, enriching yourself with the internet is a million times easier than having to go to the library, just so long as you stay away from the objectionable elements XD.

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it sounds fun, and is something I could do, especially if it was coupled, say, with staying in a cabin up in the mountains...I'm sure I could last a good month.

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There was. I gather, though, that one part of the vision was how the family of the man featured in the piece lived then, not just what was available.

I have to agree it's overkill. But...it's an interesting challenge. And if he wrote a book about the experience, it would be a lot more salable because of how dramatically extreme it is than something about "we decided to cut back on Facebook to only an hour a day!"

But those can be the best parts! :lol:

I think it could be interesting to try for a short period, say with that vacation in the mountains. Or even an "unplugged" weekend.

9. BornInTexas

I don't think I'd last more than four days... O_O

Maybe I'm a cyborg with how much I am glued to technology. :lol:

10. RoguesWolfe

Oh now that I've done! Stayed in a cabin in the mountains for a few months actually at that time. No cell phone service nor cable lol. I didn't mind it though, but that was before I really got on the internet...now...hm.

11. SlickyPants

I'd like to think that I could live like it's 1986 for a whole year. Would I want to, no? But if by some strange circumstances, all of our modern technologies like our cell phones and the Internet ceased to function, I think I'd handle it better than most.

It would be a fun little experiment for a week or two but I wouldn't volunteer for a whole year.

12. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I wasn't going into the job I am today, I might be able to do it. I could still listen to The Who, Rush, The Stones, The Beatles and all my other favorite bands on tape. But alas, I'd still have to use Avid *BLEEEEEEECCHHH*. Sorry. Hairball. But still, I can't go a day without telling myself that I have it easy.

13. 2112

I couldn't do it. I need teh interwebz.
    :lol: This was my first thought too!

14. AKTodd

Heh. PBS sponsored/aired a couple show some years back about families spending a year living like people did back in the 1800s. On series had the family living like British aristocracy, with a manor house and servants (who were also the subject of the show), while the other had a family living like they were settling the West or the like.

I was 16 in 1986, and got along just fine without Internet or cellphones or cable. For that matter, for a good chunk of my life we got along without electricity or TV and the second bathroom was an outhouse.

Part of me wonders what it would be like to drop someone who is really into living online into that sort of situation and just watch to see whether they cope or just sort of implode. Hmm.

Todd

15. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well they look really trashy, so I guess they fit the 1980s. (The dad's haircut, alright, he can do what he wants with it, but doing that to the son is child abuse!) They don't sound too bright either.

And why 1986 anyway? That's a totally arbitrary date. I bet people from the 1950s would say that 1986 has too much technology to handle, and then people from the 1880s would say that the 1950s people have too much technology to handle...it's stupid to be a Luddite in this way, the world is always changing, new technologies are always transforming the way we live. Unless they want to live as cavemen, any date they pick is going to be random and subject to the same criticisms as 2013 society is.

16. Illus1

Why 1986? I guess there is this 80s trend going on this year that's why. People seem to have selective memory and keep thinking everything was better back in the day, although there was this study that proved that the economic freedom and wellbeing the early 60s born Camelot generation had is something we'll never see again anytime soon.
    Could I do it? Yes, I did have a month once without post 1986 technology (bust out the old walkman lol) and made it fine. The problem is that everybody else is on 2013 tech and then you get isolated. I mean coming from a generation where picking up the phone and calling someone means you have important things to say, to just call friends on random seems wierd. My 2 cts

17. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For those of you who were alive in 1986, if I could send you back in time, would you be able to survive with the technology from 1986 when you're used to what we have in 2013?

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I could survive. I don't think it would be too hard adapting since I lived through that era once, and I'm sure I could relearn the important skills. Like how to use a library card catalog that uses actual cards.

But...I would definitely miss certain things. I like the ability to find information when I want it on the Internet. Also there is information out there that would not have existed in the average library of 1986.

I'd also miss the convenience of e-mail. Letters were fine, but e-mail is faster, and one does not have to buy stamps for e-mail. On the other hand, the USPS is pay as you go, with no monthly connection charge.

And it's nice being able to have digital contact with people via forums like this.

I'd miss having a cell phone--I seldom use it, but I like the feeling of security it gives me when I go out.

I'd miss DVDs--at least for convenience and selection. Although VHS got the job done.

19. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    this is a stupid idea