1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harsh obituary

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Sep 15, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found this on a website, but a family from Reno, Nevada wrote this obituary for their mother when she died last month:

"January 4, 1935
    Aug. 30, 2013

Marianne Theresa Johnson-Reddick born Jan 4, 1935 and died alone on August. 30, 2013. She is survived by her 6 of 8 children whom she spent her lifetime torturing in every way possible. While she neglected and abused her small children, she refused to allow anyone else to care or show compassion towards them. When they became adults she stalked and tortured anyone they dared to love. Everyone she met, adult or child was tortured by her cruelty and exposure to violence, criminal activity, vulgarity, and hatred of the gentle or kind human spirit.

On behalf of her children whom she so abrasively exposed to her evil and violent life, we celebrate her passing from this earth and hope she lives in the afterlife reliving each gesture of violence, cruelty, and shame that she delivered on her children. Her surviving children will now live the rest of their lives with the peace of knowing their nightmare finally has some form of closure.

Most of us have found peace in helping those who have been exposed to child abuse and hope this message of her final passing can revive our message that abusing children is unforgiveable, shameless, and should not be tolerated in a “humane society”. Our greatest wish now, is to stimulate a national movement that mandates a purposeful and dedicated war against child abuse in the United States of America."

You think my mom will let me write something like that in the paper when my sperm donor kicks the bucket? :wink:

#1 AwesomGaytheist, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very powerful and moving!

3. biggayguy

That seems ungrateful for someone that gave them life in the first place. She could have aborted them.

4. TheStrongestLink

Or worse: murder them.

5. Tic Code

Who knows? Depending on the kind of torture and hell they suffered, they may have wished that was the case.

While it's she brought them into this world and gave them life, by the sounds of it, she took that vigor of life away from them starting in their earliest days. I personally think this reaction is justified.

6. RainyViolinist

We really have no background to justify whether or not she really was what the family said she was. If they are being accurate, then yes, they are completely and totally justified. If they aren't, then they're really selfish and self-centered.

7. Meribor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hear, hear.

Without any examples or way to confirm if they are true, it's impossible to say these comments were justified.

Maybe this woman was gay, and her children ostracized her? I'm certainly not claiming that to be the truth, but why are people so quick to believe anything?

---------- Post added 16th Sep 2013 at 10:31 AM ----------

See! Google! Now was that so hard?

Marianne Theresa Johnson-Reddick Obit: Patrick Reddick Speaks Out About Abusive Mother

8. biggayguy

Okay, I didn't walk in their shoes. Maybe I would feel exactly the same under those circumstances.

9. catatonie

Man I hope so. The first time I read this, it made me so happy.
    I'd love to be the one to write one of these for my mom's husband.
    Just because someone is a "parent" doesn't make them above consequence. A lot of "parents" are terrible fucking people, and I hope the children got a little bit of their own special closure out of getting to be honest.
    For anyone doubting the 'justifiably' of it, read this (seriously all you had to do was google her name).

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As someone who lived with an abusive parent, I think your comment is frankly revolting. I'm pretty sure some of those children wished they had never been born during their darkest moments, which is the worst feeling imaginable. Giving birth did not give her an excuse to be so abusive. Any woman or man can have a child, but to be a "real" mom or dad, that takes clear actions and hard work.

As for the other posters talking about giving her the benefit of the doubt, I ask why would people be motivated to do such a thing and then say that they are trying to help a movement against child abuse? If they were really selfish or self-centered, then they wouldn't care about such things that try to stop such abuse in the future.

I don't care what her background was that may have caused such behavior: once a person is an adult and definitely as a parent, they must take full responsibility for their actions.

11. RoguesWolfe

This lady sounds like my landlords mother....creepy..

12. Capsaicin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't blame them one bit. Abused children can suffer well into adulthood, and it throws salt in the wounds to not know how or be able to speak out against the abuser and for the abuser to be treated like a wonderful human being by people who weren't subject to the pain. Worse yet, to see them excused from their actions and from the emotional consequence because of their status as a parent. It's not just upsetting, it causes dysfunction on often fundamental levels in a child that they have to battle into adulthood if they don't want it to poison their career, their self-image, their relationships with others, and more.

I don't consider the gift of life thing to be a reason to keep quiet when you've been wronged at your most vulnerable by people who were supposed to protect you. Having a child is no accomplishment to respect... raising one is.

#12 Capsaicin, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know anything about the situation, but assuming that the obituary is true, then I'm glad. Death doesn't annul crimes, it doesn't make a person free from criticism. She caused harm, and her family didn't want her to be remembered in a falsely positive light.

14. Sounds like how we'll talk about my grandma when she dies.

15. ScatteredEarth

Nobody deserves that kind of bashing after they're dead. That's just insulting and makes the person who's attacking the dead man/woman just as bad as they.. (With some rare rare cases)

16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, it does not make them just as bad. They were harsh, but not insulting in terms of the disrespect you imply because disrespect can only be done against those who earned their respect.

17. Data

Data Guest

I'm glad they wrote it. If she really was that bad, she deserved to die alone and have everyone who cared about her abandon her death bed.

You get back what you put out, and if this lady was really this abusive and nasty, she got back what she put out.

If I die tomorrow, I'd want my loved ones to miss me. If thet didn't that means I wasn't a good person.

Why should anyone miss or grieve for an abusive, violent person who they hate?

Let God make the final judgement. I'm just glad her kids got their closure.

18. Hexagon

I don't think its fair to start doubting them just because they have the courage to say something harsh. I assume they're accurately describing things until proven otherwise.

And no one should ever be expected to thank their abuser.