1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do people purposefully misgender Justin Bieber?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Techno Kid, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Techno Kid

I am by no means a fan of Justin Bieber (in-fact he does a lot of stuff I find distasteful), this running joke of calling him a girl really annoys me. This is because it smells of homophobia/transphobia. Why can't most people get that no matter how you look or act, if you identify as that gender, you are that gender.

I guess this thread is more about homophobia/transphobia than anything else...

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They're just immature and bored people. I find it really dumb and annoying.

3. Nick07

I think it's because the concept that gender is defined by what you think and not how you were born is something cis/straight people have never heard.

4. Homophobia and transphobia are deeply rooted in sexism.

By saying that Justin Bieber isn't a man, they're saying he's no good because the pervasive and often covert messages we're getting are that being a woman is automatically bad and shameful.

They're insulting him, but really they're being misogynist asshats.

5. Abbra

It's the same reason that people who aren't necessarily homophobic will still call people faggots. Since they don't know Justin Beiber, they can't attack things personally about him. When people want to be mean to people that they don't know, they will just yell things that sound mean. On the reverse side, people who don't like Rosie O' Donnell always make jokes about how she's actually a man.

Some people just aren't good enough to be a jerk and clever with their insults.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah. What really grates me are the dickless wonder jokes going around at his expense. I don't care for Justin Bieber (hell, if Bieber was trans*, I still wouldn't like him, but maybe be more vigilant about his defense) but you give shit to people about their parts and gender and you've got hell to pay.

7. They are sexist assholes.

8. wickerpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not really a fan, but I don't understand these kind of jokes. They're horrible and homophobic. I also think people tend to forget that he's still a human being. The haters are more annoying than the fangirls.

9. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because society is still stuck in this rut of masculine = good, feminine = bad and so calling a man a woman is seen as a valid insult. Beiber is just the biggest example.

It creates really stupid situations. I remember, amongst my group I was usually the butt of all the jokes and the most common, prevailing one was that these two dudebros would always call me a girl and stuff. Funny thing is, once I came out, these two who were always such a team had one of the most positive and the most negative reaction of all. The cool one stopped completely and stopped making jokes of that kind altogether. The other, who was so happy to call me a girl before (to the point of adding me as hist sister on facebook), went out of his way to refer to me as male in every way.

Sexism, homophobia and transphobia are interlinked as they all come under the umbrella of "gender eccentricity" and gender roles. Women being on equal pegging as men is seen by some as unnatural. Gay/bi/pan/asexual people are all seen are seen as unnatural in that it breaks the "tradition" of relationship = man + woman. Trans* people are seen as unnatural due to subverting the idea of gender as physical and what constitutes gender, which is outside many people's comfort zone, for whatever reason.

Whilst I got a bit lost on a tangent, its basically societies position on these groups that causes people to use implications of someone, like Beibs, being part of these groups as an insult. It's stupid, but it is changing, however slowly.

10. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Eh, as Abbra pointed, there are plenty of cases of misgendering in the opposite direction taking place, like calling Rosie O'Donnell a man, and they don't mean that as a compliment even if masculinity is seen as a good thing. So I don't think that explanation really fits.

11. AlexTheBlogger

Look, I hate Justin Bieber. Not because of his voice or his looks, but because he is an arsehole (too lazy to say all the bad stuff he has done).
    But here's the thing: people use "gay" and "girl" as insults just to talk about him, wich shows how our society is sexist, homophobic and transphobic.
    There's nothing wrong in being a girl or gay...

12. Diego89

Not a fan myself but I like some of his songs, I really don't get the"gay jokes" about him and in general people who claim to hate him so bad, I mean yeah he can be an asshole or wtv sometimes but he is an entertainer, and a good one if you ask me, that's all he is for me, so I find kinda pathetic those people who miss no chance to talk shit about him on fb or wtv, like he cares...

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone who hopes to insult JB by calling him a girl is freaking stupid. On what line of reasoning does that work? Obviously they don't insult actual girls for being girls, so even if Bieber were feminine (he really isn't anymore) then how is that the most important thing to target? It must mean that not aligning perfectly to gender expectations is unfavorable.

Trust me, I'm no fan. I think his music sucks, and that he's obnoxious, so full of himself he might explode, and that he's helping corrupt the entertainment taste of an entire generation of preteens. But he has a cute face and was skinny up until a year or so ago, so "Justine Bieber lololol" is what people go for.

I just lament that these stupid people are everywhere. And yet I am doing no better on a number of fronts.

#13 Argentwing, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  14. Valerie

Valerie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, for me, it's because the first time I ever heard him on tv, I wasn't looking at the tv so I only heard his voice. I thought it was a girl until I looked at him. I joked about it for a while but I never really hated on him. I actually think that he is talented although I don't like his music style.

Most people that hate on him are guys that are just jealous because he's rich and gets chicks. haha :slight_smile: Lucky guy

15. Fairylink

I've never really understood why everyone hates him so much. I love his music, but don't know much about him as a person. I know when he does something bad the media is all over it. However this is the case for all celebrities.

16. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The whole thing started because when he started making songs back in 2008, his voice sounded really childish - girly. (Same goes for Miley Cyrus sounding like a boy - watch Fly on the Wall videoclip)
    Then he got all the groupies, the whole fan club called Beliebers, and guys finding that absurd, because he is pretty average and not worth all this attention, would call him a girl to show girls that he is less of a man than them.
    But the joke grew bigger and bigger and people are just referring to him in the feminine gender because let's admit that liking Justin Bieber makes you seem less intelligent - that's why the OP's (and many others') first sentence was "I am by no means a fan of Justin Bieber".
    I think it's just humour, although some homophobic people take advantage of the whole situation to become vulgar and call him a "faggot" and everything else, it's actually what's making him famous so I guess he can't complain can he?

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    IDK about fearing judgment, maybe just of your music taste. But he's no worse than any other pop star out there. Actually I'd prefer to listen to him than Nicki Minaj any day of the week. But I'd prefer silence over both XD.

He just gets surprising amounts of venom from people because he's very young and very successful. Taylor Swift is in his age and success range, but she also doesn't act like a faux-tough guy doofus and she's actually a good musician. Plus, the guys who hate JB also want a piece of her, so there's that. :lol:

18. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, he IS worse. Each artist carries a certain "culture" with them. If an 18 year old girl listens to Nicki Minaj it's more socially acceptable than listening to JB. Nicki Minaj is the female voice in Hip-Hop industry, the girl-power barbie idol for many girls. If the 18 year old girl says she loves Justin Bieber she'll be considered an immature attention queen listening to kids' music. Not to mention what a guy who likes JB will be treated like, lol.

Taylor Swift gets her hate too, people taunt her for changing so many boyfriends and writing songs about them. Also, this "ratchet"-like girl in my school keeps saying "Taylor Swift makes music for little virgins". Everyone gets hate in the pop world; Gaga is ugly, Britney is a drug addict, Aguilera is a whοre, etc etc.
    But I don't think guys who hate on JB are just jealous. I think it's their inability to undestand HOW an average looking guy (most 16-18 year old boys from western countries look like him), gets so much attention and has so many young girls screaming his name and fainting in his presence. When we don't understand something, we hate it.

ALSO, he DOES look like a girl, look at this website about lesbians who look just like Justin Bieber, there's even one who has his voice :lol:
    Lesbians Who Look Like Justin Bieber

19. eatsleepclimb

Yes! So true! Being a girl is an insult, something to be teased about. Most people are just jealous I think. However I really don't like Justin Bieber; he's done some really terrible things

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's jealousy either-- more along the lines of contempt because they don't think he deserves it and continues to show he isn't worthy of superstardom. He's not a rock star, so can't be forgiven for doing stupid stuff because he's "that hardcore" and loved enough that people let it slide.

Most of his fandom is certainly from marketing, though. I think he is (was?) really cute, but give him a fortune in image-crafting and one or two wailing love songs about loving somebody, and you will win over all the screaming girls you reach.

About that site though, there are some HAWT lesbians out there. (!)