1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGTB civil engineers ...are there any in here?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Straight ally, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Im studying civil engineer and...I have never seen a openly gay person who studies or works as a civil engineer... So i just got kind of curious... Where are you people xD

And why? Are LGTB people that few at that career? or maybe the ambient on that career dont motivate you to be open or even study that career(many homophobes at that career).

Any of you who are openly gay civil engineers?

Also, how had the experience be to you, how comprehensive end being your coworkers?

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I knew of one guy in undergrad who was C.E. He was beyond hot, if you like the studly type, and not such a great student. He went on to do something unrelated. However, there is a macho attitude in that curriculum and the vibe among them in the world of work seems pretty traditional and macho as well. The women in that curriculum tend to be serious types. Most of the C.E.s I know got married fairly soon, bought a house, and started making kids. I think that there are some progressive firms and certainly the public sector where a GLB civil engineer could work, but that doesn't shield them from a cold shoulder from other civil engineers who may be more traditional and not like them. However, there would be more civil protections and personnel protocols in place. I think this is one environment, along with closely related ones, where progress in terms of equality will come at a much slower pace. I think that a lesbian who is fairly reserved about her personal life and keeps her nose to the grindstone would probably do better in C.E. than a gay or bi man who won't be able to discuss what his kids are doing when at lunch. My 2 cents.

3. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Yes, i guess is that... Maybe masculine ga guys, but the flamboyant type would have more problems (althought i know a civil engineer , who i dont know if he is gay, but he is effeminate...but then again, that he is the genius who always explain things to everybody, have won him respect... That is the exception i know)... Actually, feminine women in general, wether straight or gay, arent very common among CEs, i only know own delicate feminine one, the other few women are butchy to some degree.