1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polygamy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wickerpark, Sep 17, 2013.

1. wickerpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I'm up for an interesting discussion. I am completely for gay marriage. I've noticed how arguments against gay marriage are all so stupid and illogical. It's obviously not going to lead to people marrying animals or children or siblings. But I've been thinking about polygamy and gay marriage.
    Should people have the right to marry more than one person at once? Is there such a thing as discrimination against numbers when it comes to love? I guess you could say that banning gay marriage is discrimination against one's sexual orientation, which is something you're born with, and that no one is born a polygamist.
    I am all for polyamory and free love. If that's what someone wants to do, fine. But I'm having trouble forming an opinion on polygamy. I know that it can cause many problems, but it doesn't always have to. So, is not allowing someone to marry more than one person at once a form of discrimination? And if polygamy is completely legalized everywhere, what does that really mean for society? Can society function like that, or does it mean total confusion with divorce, taxes, people being used, etc.? But let's say there's a man with more than one wife, let's just say three. It's consensual, it's loving, they're very, very happy, but problems arise because they are not legally recognized. At the same time, is it just the man using them? Also, wouldn't we have to legalize same-sex polygamy, also? And as for discrimination against numbers, wouldn't that mean there should be no limit? It's kind of a confusing issue once you think about it.
    I guess what I'm trying to ask is if polygamy is done appropriately and consensually, should it really be illegal? And would limits on numbers be discrimination? What do you think? I'm really not looking for any kind of heated argument or religious debate, by the way. Just wondering if being against polygamy is the same thing as being against gay marriage.

2. ScatteredEarth

I say live and let live.. If that's what they want to do than who am I to stop them?