1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Language of Invitation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Count Duckula, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Last night, at my school's LGBTQ club meeting, we discussed another way to think of and talk about the coming out process, called the language of invitation. My school's LGBTQ club are trying to get away from the coming out of the closet metaphor because it is inherently negative. The closet represents this really dark, isolated place, and it can be scary to leave because you are thrust into unknown territory. Instead they proposed that we think of it as inviting a person into your truth. We were told to imagine that we are in our room and that whenever we tell them we are gay, we are inviting them into our space. It kind of puts the ball more in our court.

I didn't really explain that well at all, and I'm really tired, so I'm going to stop. Hopefully I made some sense. I just thought it was an interesting discussion, so I thought I'd share and see what you thought.

Anyway, what do you think of this new metaphor? Do you think it's a more positive way to think about it, or do you not care?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is pretty awesome. I haven't come out to many mostly because it doesn't matter much at this stage of the game, and it really isn't anybody's business. Not that I *need* to hide it from most, but why should I thrust my orientation status onto somebody? It's less "inviting them in" than dragging if you tell somebody XD.

A closet can be more accurate though if a GSM individual feels suppressed by larger society, but positivity is nice. :slight_smile:

3. But they don't have to accept the invitation. You can invite people, but that doesn't mean they will show up, or they might show up late, or you may find out that they were already waiting at the door hoping to get an invitation.

That was the problem I had with the analogy because when I first heard it, that's how I felt about it, because I was pretty unhappy about my situation. I guess the invitation metaphor really works better if you have accepted yourself more.

4. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hm, interesting. How do you phrase it so that they can reasonably decline? I mean, you can't really say "Would you like to know my biggest secret? Oh, but feel free to say no."

5. What I mean is, you tell them you are gay, but they may not accept it.

6. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh! Okay, I see. Well, it puts a bit of a positive spin on it I guess (as much as could be done, probably).