1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I get my life back?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MoyashiAlice, Sep 18, 2013.

1. MoyashiAlice

I'm in a pretty bad situation right now. I am taking a super senior year, but only taking one course, as I was supposed to be working two jobs. Unfortunately, I got fired from my first one, and although I got an interview for the second did not get in. Luckily, my parents have saved enough to pay for my bachelor degree, provided that I don't go away to school/ I need to live at home.

Yet there are still many problems. I don't have a job, and since I was fired I'm worried it looks REALLY bad whenever I apply. I don't know how to drive either, as my parents both work late. So, mostly I've been just reading and such. As for uni, I am worried I might not get into nursing... :frowning2: I have some really high course marks, (90's to high 80's mostly) but I only have a 73% in bio. I am taking chem currently.

Any clue how to get my life back on track? Or to find some motivation, since it's getting harder to stay positive...

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry so much about getting fired. Lots of people get let go. But what was the reason behind it? If it's anything ambiguous like "not meeting standards" or something like that your old manager will probably give you a good reference. Just make sure it wasn't for stealing or sexual harassment or anything and you'll probably be forgiven.

I would definitely work on that bio score, and be careful in chemistry. That class is a killer X.X

3. MoyashiAlice

Hi~

Yeah, I was fired for not meeting standards basically. I was polite and didn't do anything really wrong, except I was a little slow I believe.

I can't redo bio as I have taken it twice. Both times during the height of depression which was a bad idea... I am pretty worried for chem. :frowning2:Especially since I have a learning disability in math.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should be able to explain that one to your prospective employer no problem. :slight_smile:

Bio and chemistry are both very reliant on memorization. I found biology to be more about the diagrams, but chemistry was very non-visual. I hated having to remember names of chemicals represented only by their symbols, what reacts with what, how many electrons per energy level, etc. The worst math you'll have to do is addition and multiplication when balancing chemical equations. For me at least, it was all about the memorization, aka brain-downloading XD.

You might consider mnemonic devices for anything hard to remember. The oldest example I remember is "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" for the order of operations. You can use an equally silly sentence for any kind of series like that.

Oh, I almost forgot this: www.khanacademy.org It's a tutor site for pretty much anything. Very awesome. :grin:

#4 Argentwing, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  5. GayNerd

How funny. I'm using this in school these days. :slight_smile:

But still, it's a very helpful site. You should be able to get great help here. :slight_smile:

6. iHateThinking

Khan Academy is a godsend. I just started Algebra II and was completely lost on a few things; it was later stuff that I was "taught" in Algebra I but never actually grasped/understood. My teacher recommended it. Watched these videos and I actually started to GET some of the stuff I was lost on. You should definitely check it out!

Be careful with chemistry; if it's a class you're struggling in you might want to spend more time focusing on it, ask teachers for help, etc. YouTube/Google searches on the different topics you're taught can help you with the mathematical part of Chemistry. RSwordsman is right, it IS a lot of memorization... You can get around things that aren't math-related if you memorize important terms, ideas, concepts, and data and then apply them in classwork/homework/tests. It's how I got high 90s on the multiple choice tests that no one else understood, and flunked the math tests that EVERYONE else passed. :lol:

And as long as you didn't get fired on bad terms or pissed 'em off majorly, the manager/whomever will hopefully give you a good recommendation. Just because you got let off doesn't mean you won't be able to find a job.

I would say, for motivation, try to do hobbies on the side when you have time, whether it be art, gardening, exercise. Keep reading your books because books are great. I sometimes find, as cheesy as it sounds, a few motivational/positive quotes to lift my spirits a bit.

And, I may not know you, but I believe in you. You keep being awesome and you push on and you get the degree you deserve.

Because you ARE awesome.

7. srslywtf

hey... I know things seem bad, but if you look to your left... you will see me stuck in the same ditch you find yourself!

Things can seem insurmountable when you look at the whole problem. I suggest simply taking smaller actions that will bring you closer to your goal. eg, what can you do to increase your chances of getting a job? what about some extra things to throw on the resume, volunteer work, although not paying anything.. looks great to an employer. It shows you're willing and capable of doing something just through your own will, rather than 'because i need money' which is what most people think about their early jobs.

Doesn't necessarily have to be that, but there are plenty of things you can do to improve your chances of finding a job.. Have you been trying to get a new one yet? I wouldn't worry about the getting fired, it was totally unreasonable and people are generally willing to give young people a second chance if they seem genuine.

8. MoyashiAlice

Thanks for the support everyone. :slight_smile: I haven't used Khan academy in a while but have used it before. It is an amazing site. :slight_smile: