1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gnostic or Agnostic?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AmityRanch, Sep 20, 2013.

1. AmityRanch

Whatever religion you happen to pertain to, do you identify as gnostic or agnostic in regards to your beliefs?

I classify myself as a gnostic atheist, for example...

What about you?

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Gnosticism is a pretty ancient belief system, but I don't know if there are many people alive today who adhere to it. Literally the word just means that you have the knowledge, whereas a+gnostic means you do not have the knowledge. I'm not entirely sure what you mean to ask though.

3. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can you qualify what you mean by gnostic atheist? If it's that you assign a really low chance to a god existing, then sure, but if it's that you know (for certain) that there is no such thing, that's untenable.

I'm an ignostic, for the record.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apatheist. I've given up on trying to disprove the existence of god, because it simply can't be done. Yet you can't prove that god exists either, despite the fact that 97% of Americans believe in some form of a deity, although 20% of Americans don't identify with any organized religion.

Yes, my username says otherwise, but I'm an apatheist, meaning I don't care whether there's a god or not. Agnosticism means you don't know, atheist means you say there is none, apatheism means you just don't give a shit.

5. AmityRanch

I know what they mean, dude. Otherwise I wouldn't be asking the question.

Anywho, I'm asking whether you think you are gnostic or agnostic, if you even identify as one or the other.

6. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well I don't know what you mean, dude....and apparently neither does anyone else here. You must elaborate on exactly what you mean by describing yourself as a "gnostic atheist". "Gnostic" is not a term that is often used to modify "atheist"; historically Gnosticism was a very spiritual worldview.

7. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm agnostic.

By "gnostic atheist" are you saying that you "have the knowledge" that there is no god? It's what you suggest. Some clarification would help, I've never heard those two words used together.

8. Fiddledeedee

Gnosticism with a capital G was an early branch of Christianity.

Gnosticism with a lowercase G is a current term meaning "I think it is possible to have absolute knowledge on supernatural matters" or "I can prove deities do/do not exist". Its opposite is agnosticism, which means "I think it is impossible to have absolute knowledge on supernatural matters" or "I cannot prove deities do/do not exist".

Most people who describe themselves as gnostic or agnostic do so in conjunction with describing themselves as theistic or atheistic.

* A gnostic theist believes in a god (or gods) and believes they can prove that that god exists.
    * An agnostic theist believes in a god but doesn't believe they can prove that that god exists. (Sometimes they don't believe that anyone can; they consider the matter unknowable.)
    * An agnostic atheist doesn't believe in gods but doesn't believe they can prove that there are none. (They may also consider the matter unknowable.)
    * A gnostic atheist doesn't believe in gods and believes they can prove that there are none. Sam's got it -- they believe they have the knowledge that there are no gods.

Most self-described atheists and agnostics are agnostic atheists -- they don't believe, but they don't know for sure.

The question is, Whether you believe in gods or not, do you believe their existence is or can be proven true or false?

----

'S a pretty interesting question, and hopefully less likely to result in a religious debate. Personally, I'm agnostic when it comes to most gods, e.g. Thor, but I believe I can have absolute knowledge that certain gods don't exist because they are in contradiction with themselves or with the world around us. I describe myself as agnostic, though.

9. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, that's cleared it up! In those terms I would identify as an agnostic atheist then, since it seems clear there isn't a way to test god currently, and I'm not sure there ever will be, yet I wouldn't believe unless there was overwhelming evidence or god decided to hang out with me (mind you, I'd still be sceptical then, given the neuroscience of NDEs and also veil of perception etc.)

10. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm as agnostic toward a deity as I am toward unicorns, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or the cosmic tea pot between Earth and Mars. Meaning I don't think we can prove that no deities exist, but I don't regard their existence as all that probable.

11. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am an agnostic deist.

12. AmityRanch

I apologize. I didn't realize it wasn't as common of an expression as I initially thought.
    My bad.

Anyway, to answer your question, I'm asking people if they have knowledge of whatever religion they pertain to.

Do they claim knowledge of their god's existence or not?

Sorry for the confusion.

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm agnostic, but if you can prove to me somehow that God exists or doesn't exist, then that's cool. I wouldn't say I'm a full blown agnostic atheist, because I honestly don't know if there's a God or not.

14. 2112

Then I guess I'm an agnostic agnostic..:confused:

15. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Once when I described my position on 'god' someone pointed out that my position sounded like ignosticism. I looked it up and thought that particular label lined up with my views fairly well.

16. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just looked up ignosticism myself.

Well, that's two things I've learned from this thread!

17. AmityRanch

I agree. Ignosticism sounds pretty cool.
    I think that I'll 'convert' to that viewpoint.

18. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Welcome to the Grand Church of Ignosticism, please leave your donations in the basket. :smilewave

19. AmityRanch

Thanks for such a warm welcome.
    *gives $20 dollars*

20. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, in most other things I'm willing to acknowledge human perception probably has narrow limits, so why wouldn't I do it with the concept of god?

I'm beginning to like ignosticism :icon_bigg