1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Berlin inaugurates memorial for gay victims of the Holocaust

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LorenzG1950, May 28, 2008.

1. LorenzG1950

(!) (!) (!)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080527/ap_on_re_eu/germany_nazis_gays

Sorry I’ve been away a while due to work. Yesterday in Berlin, the German government inaugurated the first monument for the thousands of homosexual victims of the Holocaust, a group that was pretty much ignored or forgotten. The cube-like stone monument has an opening where you can watch a video of 2 men kissing :eusa_danc , something that got homosexuals castrated or sent to concentration camps under Hitler. Some 15,000 are estimated to have died. Even after the war and up until 1969, 50,000 persons were prosecuted for the “crime” of homosexuality.

2. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    awesome :eusa_clap

3. PatC

Bout time, I've been wondering if this would happen.

:slight_smile:

4. Étoile

I'm so glad that the victims have been recognized. It's so sad that schools completely ignore them and they were just lost in time. I never even knew that so many gays suffered in concentration camps until one of my classmates told me about it last year.

5. Trumpetplyer23

It's good that the victims are being recognized. It might help open people's eyes to what hatred can do.

My History Class had a long discussion about gays getting murdered in concentration camps, we were on the brink of a same-sex marriage debate, but my teacher changed the subject. Not because of homophobia, but because I would have been arguing for the cause, and this girl I don't like would've been arguing against me. I can't say anything rude/mean to her or I'll get suspended.

6. Bryan

I am really glad they did this. I am a gay jew, so this is an issue close to my heart