1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First gay bar experience

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by redneck, Sep 21, 2013.

1. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw where someone posted about their first time in a gay bar a couple weeks ago so I figured I'd share my experience.

Okay, I started off the day in a bad mood. It finally rained yesterday for the first time in over a month and instead of being able to take my 3 wheeler muddling I had to work (usually off fridays). I get to work and we worked a half day (off at 9pm) so I decided I'd go to a karokee bar I used to go to when I lived in town 7 years ago. On my way there I saw the gay club (had herd of it but didn't know where it was) and said to myself 'maybe I'll go one of these days after I move back up here' and continued on my way. Come to find out the old bar is gone (Not just closed the building isn't there anymore) so I figured 'why wait I'll just go now'. So I went back, I can't believe I wasn't nervous or didn't have to talk myself into it because I'm still in the closet to everyone except one friend, but I just walked in as casually as walking into wal-mart. First thing I noticed was one of the two

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2013 at 03:24 AM ----------

assumptions I made before entering was true they were playing the same annoying techno/rap blend that you hear at every club I've ever been to but a bit heavier on the techno (sorry just not my taste in music). After playing the cover I walked around the corner and my first thought was 'run all these people out of here cause this place is awesome and I wanna convert it into an apartment and live here'. The club is literally a street that was closed down and they put up a roof and a wall at each end. The walls were the old bricks of the buildings that lined the street and the cealing for the first 40 feet or so was probably 20 ft high and was pulled out of a building that was 150yo then it jumped to about 30 ft and looked really industrial (ok so I thought the space was awesome) The only thing I didn't like was that it was only about 15 ft wide but over 200 ft long (I like to people watch and the fact the place was an old alley made it difficult to see the whole room). As the narrow entry hall opend up I saw

2. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    there were about 50-60 people there (in the cramped space it looked pretty full), there was a small stage at the back, there were several small tables along each wall, and the bar was to my right. As I approached the bar I noticed the bartender was topless and gorgeous. I ordered a beer and found a table near the middle to 'people watch' as best I could. Thats when I got a suprise. My only other assumption walking in was that there would be mostly gay men and maybe a few gay women there. Well first thing I noticed looking around was that yes there were tons of gay men and only 4 women in the bar but one was by herself and the other 3 were there with guys (I'm guessing maybe one of them was bi?) Not that it was shocking but I just wasn't expecting it. I sat had a few drinks for about 45 min a couple guy came up and introduced themselves and chatted for a few minutes each but mostly I just people watched. To be honest I had a joyful tear welling upin my eye because I've never been anywhere where gay guys could

3. Ohhai

Aww that's lovely :slight_smile: I'd love to go to a gay bar xx

4. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    be comfortable and be themselves without having to worry what other people would think. I was getting ready to go (my plans when I left the house were to go to work not go to the bar) when I heard them announce the wet boxer contest that would be starting in about an hour. I figured 'why not?' so I hung around a while. Now you wanna talk about entertainment? WOW they managed to get 5 guys up there (not bad for a crowd of 50-60 people) and 4 of them were absolutely gorgeous and number 5 was in good shape just that dude was over 7 ft and had like a 32 inch waist (I wouldn't have complained taking him home just that standing next to the others he looked a bit out of porportion). Here we go. Guy 1 had moves like he may be/have been an exotic dancer. Guy 2 had ok moves and a 'trophie' down there. Guy 3 hot but pretty much a buzz kill. Guy 4 (the huge dude) after watch him dance I thought 'I dont care if you look a little out of porportion take me to your place now'. Guy 5 hot bod, boyish looks, a nice tool, and

5. penguin machine

maybe some day I'll go, but I hate loud music and cramped places full of people I can't talk to, see well, or avoid. I like to people watch too, but bars and clubs freak me out a little. I'm too self conscious to enjoy them. I don't dance or drink either.

In short form, never take me to a bar I will ensure that it sucks.

6. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    pretty good moves (Yea easy win).

After the contest was over I people watched about another 15-20 min then left.

The only thing about the night I didn't like was the MC he would pick people out of the crowd and chat for a bit all night (which is cool cause I assume he was just trying to get people involved) but he had the stereotypical 'gay voice' and kept calling everyone 'girl'. I may be gay but I'm still a man if he had came up to me on the street and called me girl he would have probably hit my fist with his face pretty hard. That and they needed to turn the music down a bit as it was loud to the point it had distortion in it (pet peeve).

All told I had a pretty amazing time and would like to visit again.

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2013 at 04:09 AM ----------

sorry about the multi posts all I have is ps3 and it has a short text limit.

7. The username

Enjoyed reading your story. Glad to see you had a good time. Maybe I should try people watching, hmmm

8. leer

I was 17 so underage but looked older I stayed in the beer garden with friends the place was quite full for a student night most were stood around just talking they had a DJ on the balcony playing total shite music . I did get talking to an older guy took his number met a few times for lunch .I dont go allot at weekends gets a bit mad then

9. pokerface87

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My experiences at gay bars have always been good too, and I generally dont enjoy bars. I am going to one again next weekend. My city doesnt have one for some reason.

10. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I want to go and try a gay bar one day. At the moment I have the impression that most of the people there are all really camp, but I guess I cant really know until I go to one.

#10 JackAttack, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013
  11. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Ah, thanks for sharing your story.

My first experience at a gay bar was quite enjoyable, a trendy gay bar in Hell's Kitchen, I went with a date, enjoyed a free drag show, got smashed on their specialty peach martinis, and then went home with my date and spent the night with him.

They played a lot of pop music mostly, I remember having Britney Spears' "Lucky" stuck in my head that night and all the next day. I still think of that night when I hear that song.

And oh yeah, after a few drinks, I was all over my date with the PDA at that bar, massaging him and making out as we sat on those bar stools, haha no wonder I ended up going home with him. :grin:

12. DesertTortoise

A nice story. I live in a warehouse where queers of many variations outnumber staights 10 to 6, so through my housemates, I have connections to other kinds of scenes, and don't need gay bars (though your evening sounded like a lot of fun). The other night I went to a potluck--a regular group that meets after doing yoga. This was my first visit. Maybe two dozen men, and a couple of women. From casual street cloths to genderfuck faerie drag to full drag. This was a social event--not a sex hookup. We introduced one another holding hands in a circle--had great food. So nice to be in a place were showing affection was perfectly natural... don't realize how UP TIGHT and AWFUL the straight male world is, reeking with repressed emotion--like an emotional prison.
    I mention this, cause of what you said about being uncomfortable with the MC calling guys 'girl.' Ya know, that's a way of being a man, too. A different kind of man. And I don't mean fae and swishy (though I don't mind that a bit). Can be buff and like football and all that stuff... but live a wonderfully, amazinging larger emotional life--that takes nothing away from being a man. After all, you're a man who likes men, and so were all those queers (I prefer 'queer' to 'gay'... which sounds like a word for hetero peeps) at that bar.
    Know you didn't mean you'd get violent, literally (at least I hope not), but were expressing how the thought of being called 'girl' made you feel. Queer guys calling a man 'girl' is not calling a man, 'A girl.' Big difference. It's not an insult, but an expression of solidarity--that we belong to a third way, and don't need the macho bullshit and patriarchal privelege of the oppressors. That we are free to be loving with one another in a way that straight men don't get.
    And hey, we are none of us total 100% male or female. That's a myth the straight world uses to patroll and maintain its strickt borders. Fuck the borders, I say! Men can be men... and like to play dress up, not to look like girls, but to be larger in our sexuality than those restrictive role playing games we're taught are God's & Nature's Law. They're not. May not be your cupa, or maybe you're still kinda inhibited by internalized idea of what a man should be, but don't judge ... or too quickly dismiss what was going on there.
    I'm a man. A really good pool player. Too old now, but loved playing softball and competitive swimming. I've bicycled around the great lakes, run a half marathon. But I love wearing a sequined camisole, shimmery skirt and work boots with my Radical Faerie friends. I'm a man who likes men... in the broadest definition of the word, 'man.' And if one of my queer freinds calls me 'girl,' ... I know what they mean. And makes me feel good. I mean... think what it really means, to live in a world where 'girl' is an insult? Where being a woman, is an insult? Where being a man who loves men, is 'bad?"
    Hugs!

#12 DesertTortoise, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  13. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nice story redneck..thanks for posting
    Glad you had a good time

---
    Never been to a gay bar myself. I will admit to having had three big fears:
    * 'its a gay bar'/'what if someone sees me there'/'what if someone tries to hit on me'
    * I'd be going by myself ()
    * I would not be able to drink anything with alcohol (aint much point in going to a bar if you aren't going to drink :lol: )

(almost went to one earlier this summer though: there was this little event I attended, & its 'after party' was at a gay bar ... but I had too much stuff to get done at home, so had to skip the after party)

14. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My first time in a gay bar ever was the BEST THING EVER.

But my first time in a gay bar in my home town was the MOST INTIMIDATING THING EVER. Until I found the piano lounge, anyway.

15. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first time in a gay bar was 3 weeks ago...Brendan and I went to an OUTspoken meeting and after an hour and a half lecture about pronouns they said our little "afterparty" was to go to the local gay bar or to a Steak and Shake. We got to the gay bar at about 10:00 at night and it was open-mic night. Now unfortunately, it was musical open-mic night, no comedy. This fat chick was singing nothing but Jimi Hendrix and Beatles songs, and so not surprisingly, there was nobody there. It was an hour of my life I"ll never get back.

16. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My dad would tell us a story of certain co-workers playing a prank on the new guys by referring them to a certain gay bar in town (they wouldn't tell them it was a gay bar, that was the point), so to satisfy my curiosity, I decided to give it a visit one night. Nothing special, really. It was small, mostly empty, and besides a few people playing pool and watching a drag queen performance, tame in comparison to what I had in mind.

Now, we do have a couple of wild nightclubs and bars here, and those are always packed and popular with the younger crowd, but not really something I'm dying to go see. Would much rather share a case of brew with a handful of friends while rocking out.

17. Harve

What the flying fuck.