1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think Sexuality "Changes"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by unknown17050, Sep 21, 2013.

?

Do you think Sexuality can "Change"?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  1. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Some believe it does and others believe differently; they call it sexual fluidity and sexual fluxuation; do you believe it is like this?

WARNING: No arguments please, if you have a disagreement, keep it to yourself, this is NOT a debate therefor any arguments of any kind will be deleted.

2. MerBear

depends to me

3. LinkLarkin

I don't believe that is true for everybody. I've honestly been gay since I was a kid and that hasn't changed at all (didn't identify as gay back then but it's pretty obvious in hindsight).

However, I'm sure sexual fluidity exists in some people. And frankly, I'm already in a sexual minority that some people believe is a choice, so what right do I have to suggest that another person's identified sexuality doesn't exist just because I don't understand how it works?

4. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I don't. I believe that you are born with a certain sexuality and that remains the same your entire life. Now, intensity and interest and things like that can vary. But I personally don't believe sexual orientation changes.

The whole idea of sexual fluidity reminds me of those yestergays, hasbians, etc. who say they "cured" themselves, but really are every bit as gay as they ever were. Or ignorant straight people who say it's just a phase, or that gay people are just confused, or can be cured, somehow.

I don't mean to offend anyone, this is just my personal opinion, so, sorry if this offends anyone.

5. GayNerd

No, it doesn't.

You are born with your, uh, interests in certain genders and it is for your entire life. Nothing will change it.

6. Fiddledeedee

I think that some people have a fluid sexuality, and I know that our perception of a steady sexuality can change with time, and I reckon that you can force your sexuality to some extent if you are deep in denial (though that doesn't change it), but I doubt a steady sexuality can change. I don't know much about fluid sexualities, but I expect that it's different and that it's a more frequent swing that may be confusing but isn't the same as a sexuality which has been stable for decades switching.

7. pokerface87

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I do think sexual fluidity exists however. I knew from a very early age I was more attracted to women.

8. justjade

I guess statistically, it's not impossible. :confused:

9. Minamimoto_Fan

For certain people, yes, sexuality is fluid. Me personally, no, I am only attracted to people of my fellow sex, not to say I don't think the female form isn't beautiful, I'm just not sexually attracted to it is all

10. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    You're sexuality doesn't change, but it develops to become fluid to some people.

11. Milhouse

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel as though it may be possible for some people to change orientation, but would imagine it might require something significant happening (say, a head injury throwing off the way things fire in the brain). For the vast majority of people though, I believe our orientation is something that forms at some unknown point between conception and puberty. Again, this is something for scientific research to discover, hah.

12. MerBear

wouldn't fluidity exist more so with bisexuals?

13. LinkLarkin

In my experience, that's where it's most commonly reported, but it isn't unheard of for people to shift from one end of the Kinsey scale and back. Immediate changes are rare, but gradual changes are reported more often.

14. lukeluvznicki13

Not necessarily. People I guess are trying to figure out their sexuality and may not know what they actually are.

15. Just Jess

I think there's a million things that go into who you can and can't love. So yeah I think this could happen to some people.

Sometimes it could be other things. I think the closet probably does have an effect, and coming out of it might mean exploring a little more than you ever gave yourself permission before. Or maybe you were suppressing same-sex thoughts, and then when you stopped, you suddenly found that you could explore how you feel about the opposite sex without hang-ups for the first time ever. Maybe the idea of being the spice in a couple's life, or other things that used to be off limits but you can explore them now, could crop up.

But I don't think it's always that. Orientation is for life I think with most people.

Personal experience, coming out has made orientation a lot easier to talk about. And while I've never found men attractive, I used to like how feminine the thought of being with one made me feel. That's more or less gone away, and the further into transition I get... well it seems the more gay I get. Honestly, and my relationship might have something to do with it, but as wonderful as they are I'm starting to get hang-ups thinking about straight women. I want someone that's going to be attracted to me for who I am and not treat me like a secret or something exotic is how it feels. And as sappy as it sounds, that feeling is deep down and real enough to the point where it can kill fun time. And yeah, any time a dude enters the picture, even some stuff I used to try to think about, it's just a total mood killer now too.

But I don't think that counts as fluidity. It's just me coming to terms with who I am.

I have heard a lot of bisexual people saying they go through phases where it's one gender that just causes them to melt and their heart to skip a beat sometimes, and it changes. I've questioned whether I was, but my sexuality has pretty much always been no boys allowed and this doesn't sound like it describes me.

I could totally see this happening for some people though. I really think sexuality is very different from one person to the next.

I still hate that pardon my bad English pray the gay away shit though. I know I'm preaching to the choir but I do think some people use the term "sexual fluidity" like an excuse or an opening for some really bad things. I don't think you can change this stuff on purpose at all and I think it's wrong to try. The reasons people have for trying are almost 100% because they haven't accepted themselves and are caving in to people that haven't accepted them either.

Just I think coming out means being open and honest, and I'd really like to believe that if I started liking men I'd own that and just see where that ride took me.

It's a rabbit hole though, you start asking yourself questions like that and it never stops. I am who I am and don't much care why I am the way I am.

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some have said they have had fluid sexuality, therefore I believe it exists. I doubt mine will ever change, but I can only speak for me when it comes to this.

17. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not change per say, but in my opinion it can be very fluid.

18. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a real firm believer in fluid sexuality, but I do believe it CAN happen, but it isn't very common.

19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It exists, but what I think is commonly confused for fluidity more commonly is simply people discovering how many grey areas exist within self-imposed classifications. That, "I'd never" mentality that limits, basically, enforced by policing. So while orientation might not change much, there probably aren't too many people who have the exact same preferences at say, 63 that they had at 13, and that should be factored in, too.

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes it can. I went from completely and totally straight to bisexual to completely and totally gay in a matter of 4 years.