1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you blown up a microwave today?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheStrongestLink, Sep 21, 2013.

1. TheStrongestLink

If so, you're a microterrorist.

2. Minamimoto_Fan

Well I haven't ruined a microwave yet, but I have accidently blew things up in it, like putting the time for a 500w on a 1000w at College (That's not exact, but it was the wrong directions, so you get the point :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

3. purplekitty

I never did this, but when my dad was a kid, he would put flies in the refrigerator and then when they were cold and immobile, he would wrap them in tin foil and put them in the microwave. He liked watching the sparks, but he found that the flies did not cook in a visible way. He had better results when he put them into electrical sockets. All that was left was a smear.

My dad was a weird child...

4. Data

Data Guest

I usually take them apart and use the transformer and capacitor to blow things up. MOTs are NOT current shunted and the core is electrically hot, so they're very dangerous to work with. Only open a microwave if you're experienced in high voltages (I'm a ham radio operator).

I have set fire to a piece of gum in a microwave before.

I've also made plasma in one.

5. purplekitty

Wow that's cool! How did you make plasma?

6. GirlWhoWaited

I have a friend who forgot to put the water in a bowl of ramen. That did a surprising amount of damage. Lol.

7. TheStrongestLink

Tell me more... what did it do?!?!

8. RoguesWolfe

I found out as a kid that plastic melts in them, metal is not the way to go, you cannot cook brownies in one...caught them on fire, ive probably caught a few on fire but made three or so explode as a kid.

9. Data

Data Guest

Welp, you use a few pieces of foam, a pickle jar, a wine cork, 2 toothpicks, and a grape.

You cut the grape in half, place the halves a wavelength or so away from each other, and place the jar over the grape.

The microwave energy that is emitted by the magnetron resonates within the gap and the grapes. You get a spark that jumps across the gap, and the heated air is trapped as it rises up into the jar.

This is bad for the microwave because the plasma ball is very reflective of radio energy and it bounces ALL the microwave energy back at the magnetron. It's like putting a spoon in the microwave. The magnetron overheats and the microwave tube burns out.

There are TONS of videos on youtube of the phenomenon so you can see it without destroying your microwave. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2013 at 04:14 PM ----------

I'd imagine either the microwave burned out or the ramen caught on fire.

Microwave energy will only vibrate water or fat molecules. The ramen probably had some fat in the dry noodles and without a large mass of water to help absorb the energy, they heated FAST and caught fire.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a microwave catch on fire on me last year. It turned out that the wiring had a short in it...

11. BornInTexas

Being dumb, I stuck butter with the tin foil still on it in the microwave to melt it. It caught on fire inside the microwave, but that is about as close to destroying a microwave as I have gotten.

12. June Cleaver

Back in 1980 on Daytona Beach in the penthouse sweet we were the first to use my grandma saw her first microwave. She loved to cook and had wanted to play with it. She destroyed some biscuits and eggs first. Then that night we were swimming in the pool below and she looked over the railing saying "Bill could you come up here please!" Grandpa said HUUUA, and this went on for several min until I noticed black smoke coming out of the door behind her. So we ran upstairs to find the above stove microwave in a blazing fire and the door had come off and the plastic liner was drooling out onto the stove top with the worst smell ever! So I went down to the front desk to tell them to call the fire department as the ceiling was on fire at that point and they did not believe me. Well grandpa showed up and they called and half the the kitchen burned down. Oh the microwave looked like a cave inside and stunk the who place up. She had put several small potatoes in it and set the dial for 45min and walked away, oh and did not poke any holes in them either. Back then microwave ovens were rare to find and most did not know how to cook with one. Well my microwave I bought used when I got my first place was made in 1977 and has a browning element in the top and is huge inside and also is shiny stainless steel inside. It still works and looks brand new as I take good care of things. My sister gets a new one from Wall-Mart every year as she blows one a year up some how and mine will outlast me! June

13. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've ruined one before. I put a plate of leftovers in the microwave and forgot that I'd placed a fork and knife on the plate...what a light show! That was a quick $125 though.

14. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was in middle school it became popular to get a small transformer and a battery(1.5v AA). And shock you friends. I told my dad. He's an electrical engineer and brings home some big ass transformer and pluged 4 9volts together in series. There was little amperage but that thing hurt. Almost got a vacation for a few days with that one. Dad had to go to that parent teacher conference.

15. Didn't really blow up a microwave, but my food did.

One time in my newspaper room, I wanted to microwave my curry. I forgot to open up the vents on my lid and the lid popped off and the curry splattered. My teacher made me clean it up afterwards...

16. leer

I heated something up wrapped in kitchen foil not a good idea it ruined all the inside . my brother put an egg in one again not a good idea .

17. RawringTiger

I was lazy so i made microwave spaghetti and i didnt poke enough holes in the wrapper so it blew up in the microwave i dont know if that counts but still :slight_smile:

18. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The grossest microwave I found was in a break room at a building I worked with, where literally every single interior surface was covered in reddish tomato-like grime. It was so disgusting that I put a few layers of paper towels under my food container and never used that machine again.

Also, If you ever try to heat up Campbell's Clam Chowder, it makes a whole lot of noise as if the whole bowl will shatter. I think it's the potato chunks that are exploding.

19. GayNerd

My Microwave is still able to make Popcorn and Microwaveable Chinese Food, so no. My Microwave has not been blown up. :slight_smile: