1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

China or Japan

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, Sep 22, 2013.

?

China or Japan

Poll closed Nov 21, 2013.
  1. China

2.7%
  2. Japan

79.5%
  3. Neither

17.8%
  1. I can guess that many of us are familiar with the living conditions in China and Japan. Based on what you know, where would you rather live in, China or Japan?

I personally would prefer Japan. That's not where my roots are, but China has very severe government oppression and LGBT acceptance in China is pretty conservative while Japan is much more accepting (Heard of yaoi? Nope? Google it). Plus, awesome food there!

#1 anthonythegamer, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2013
  2. puppy1000

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    When I Google China cities I just see clouds of smoke and its always dark...at Japan its all these bright colored high tech looking buildings. Japan seems more fun too like theres all these crazy fun attractions.

3. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    it would take me forever to learn either language

4. Minx

Japan.

I don't need a lot of space to live in - as a lot of space is a luxury in apartments there. The culture and the environment just mesh with me more. Low crime rate, strict gun control etc.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't want to live in either country. China, for the reasons you have mentioned, plus environmental pollution.

As for Japan, even though it it is more accepting/liberal than China, the lifestyle in Japan is actually quite stressful according to some of the people I have spoken with. Social life seems to be informed by a culture of 'extreme' consumerism and fitting into the newest trends and 'norms'. I rather live in a more laid back country, without having to worry about the need to fulfill societal expectations around how I conduct my social life. :slight_smile:

6. puppy1000

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I would also choose Japan because their boys tend to be cuter/more stylish XD.

7. Yep! I totally agree! :icon_bigg

8. Saint Otaku

Japan, or course. But why compare Japan with China? O.O <--- stare of the crazy otaku

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not a fan of open polls, which seem to dominate, even on some very personal issues. While China is of some interest, if I had to pick only one as a tourist destination, it would be Japan, in a heartbeat. I would choose to live in neither.

10. Minx

America springs to mind. :lol:

That mentality seems youth driven though, as all countries have some branch of this in one form or another. I doubt it encompasses the whole country.

11. Ticklish Fish

Hong Kong lol

unless you mean I have to choose inland China vs Japan.
    Which I might just put Japan because I think their medical technologies are a bit more advanced

12. JessicaWolfess

Definitely Japan

13. Japan, no question. I would love to live there.

14. iHateThinking

If I had to choose between the two I'd go with Japan. Just happen to enjoy the country, the culture, the food, etc.

I dunno if I had a third option though, it would depend. I wouldn't mind moving to a country in Scandinavia, minus the fact it's cold.

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Japan, by a long shot.

Just think of all those cute Neko boys! And Sushi, and Asahi Super Dry Beer, and all of the various cultural treasures in Kyoto, and Haruki Murakami, and Anime, and awesome Kimonos, and a love of tube audio equipment, and...

Not to mention, China is routinely rated as among the world's wort dictatorships, in terms of human rights.

16. toushirojaylee

Eventhough my dad inherited chinese blood from his ancestors, I would prefer to live in JAPAN. Latest technologies, gadgets, robots, bright city lights, love their small houses, sushi, tempura, anime, cosplay..Woah. But with China, I just like how they fight, battle and war plans, latest nuclear stuff and tanks etc. Not a fan of their mandarin language. But love their action movies.

17. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Based on what little I know, Japan. Japan's far more progressive than China, and while I know very little about the two cultures, I know more about Japanese culture than I do about Chinese culture, so I'd have an easier time adjusting to life in Japan than I would to life in China.

18. briloco

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I chose Japan. Their economy (despite experiencing an earthquake) is flourishing dramatically. They have a unique history in comparison to most other East Asian countries. Their language sounds more phonetically appealing and feminine compared to Chinese dialects (Mandarin, Cantonese etc..). Japan is the birthplace of anime and manga which is very popular around the world. Their technology is quite advanced and their country is very beautiful. I love the city of Tokyo with all the bright lights and colors, Mountain Fuji is beautiful as well. Cherry Blossom trees are absolutely gorgeous, smell amazing and they are native to Japan. I also love Japanese fashion and J-pop music.

China is an overpopulated, communistic nation but I quite like Hong Kong and Taiwan. I also admire the influence China has on the rest of the world. But honestly Japan is more appealing as a nation. However, because I absolutely love Girls' Generation, South Korea would have had my vote if it were an option.

[​IMG]

#18 briloco, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seeing as China is known for being Communist and mostly polluted, poor and densely populated (in the big cities at least), it doesn't sound like a nice place to live full-time. Japan, however, is known pretty much for being awesome. A very different place, though. I'm not sure I could adapt easily from living in the US my whole life.

20. Linthras

Linthras Guest

^This ^
    I love Japan, been there twice already.

One point though: Japan isn't quite that open about homosexuality.
    It's tolerated, but rarely talked about.