1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I want to write a boooook.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hoppip, May 28, 2008.

1. Hoppip

I need some advice guys (but since it's not exactly life advice, I decided to keep it out of the support/advice section).

So I have this idea for a book... It's a bit clichéed, I know, but it's also half-baked and uninteresting and I need help filling the plot and finishing my ideas. And two heads are better than one!

So here's my idea: (and if you're going to steal it and write an award-winning, multi-million dollar book/screenplay/etc., please.... can i at least have my EC screenname in the credits?)

TITLE: philter
    Time: Modern Day
    Place: Pretty Illinois suburb, higher side of middle class.
    Protagonist: Corbin, teenager. He's a bit like a 2008 Holden Caulfield (but hopefully not too much). Although he dresses as preppy as everyone else, he's cynical, alone and pessimistic. He's very observant and bitter, too. He likes solitude. (Basically, he's depressed, he just doesn't know it.)

Corbin lives in a nice Illinois suburb where everyone is fake and happy and full of money. His parents are usually never home, and as an only child, he is quite independent. He doesn't have any good friends - not even a few acquaintances. He hates people.
    Corbin has a little crush on this girl at school - but then again, so does every guy. And he knows he doesn't have it. He doesn't know her, but he's absolutely enraptured (sarcasm) by her beauty.
    So! One day he hears a ring at the door and he goes to answer it - no one is there but a cardboard box. In it is a love potion!!! ~~~ (ooooh). He half reads the directions when he realizes what he can finally achieve!
    All he has to do is drink the potion and the first person he makes physical contact with will fall in love with him (depending on the amount of potion drank. the more potion, the more love).
    He drinks the potion while at school, and he walks up to what's-her-tits, READY to brush against her arm...

When suddenly...

A footballer jock named (Josh? I want a better name) attempts to catch a football and falls back onto Corbin...

AND BAM. The one kid Corbin hates most is in love with him. And Corbin is most definately not gay. (Hehe.) And Josh is either obsessed with Corbin (more comedic) or just in love with him (less comedic, more serious).

So blah blah blah stuff happens. And slowly, slowly but surely, through their encounters, Corbin realizes that Josh is the only person who cares about him. And Josh is a lot different than what Corbin originally thought. So, Corbin kinda...

Falls for Josh.

But, unfortunately, the cruel tides of fate throw him back! For one reason or another the potion wears off. (I was thinking that Corbin didn't like, KISS him or something within three months). Josh reverts back to normal, with no recollection of his love for Corbin. Corbin is crushed, because now HE loves JOSH but JOSH wants nothing to do with HIM.

So... that's all I got. I don't know how to go from there.

THINGS I NEED:

-Better organization
    -A name for Josh. I guess I'm getting used to Josh, actually, but any suggestions?
    -Is it too cliché? Is Corbin too cliché? Because he used to be like, an emo kid. But I thought that that was lame. So I decided to change him into more 'normal.' Kinda like he's just invisible to the world.
    -Why Josh falls out of love
    -Conclusion
    -Fillers

: D

Anything?

2. RGX Guy

RGX Guy Guest

That's really good! Well to me at least... I'm easily entertained though. LOL
    Its going to be a challenge to make that into a full book but the story line is good.

I have 0 suggestions though... Sorry. But keep up the good work!

3. I would keep Corbin and Josh. They're cool names.

As for the rest... I really like the story. I dunno about the end, but I'll be thinking about it for you. I love the idea! :eusa_clap

4. Alexander

Sounds funnnnnn ^_^

send me it when you have something and I'll proof and stuff.... :wink:

5. PopUpsSuck17

Ugh, books are tough. I've tried writing like seven and I always fail miserably, lol. I like your ideas lots, and I don't really have any suggestions . . .

For the end . . . you said you weren't gonna have them kiss. I think it'd be really dramatic if they DID kiss and then love potion wears off right after. And then there would be heartbreak and we'd feel all sad :frowning2: But I wouldn't know where to go from there, lol. Maybe have Josh fall for whats-her-tits and then Corbin could meet Josh's amazingly sexy best friend? . . . should you find a happy ending necessary :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But write your book the way you want! I was just spouting ideas :slight_smile:

Love what you've got so far!

6. Hoppip

Thanks for all the support, guysss!

I like to stretch out my writing when I write. And use a ridiculous amount of imagery. And I describe things a lot.

So far I have 5 and a half pages, 10 point font, double spaced...

About Corbin hopping off of his roof at midnight, sneaking into his house to go to sleep, then waking up and leaving his house for school.

He doesn't even GET to school. He just left his house.

5.5 pages. 10 font. Daaay-um. I over-describe. Haha.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One day, a youngish man went up to Mozart after one of his recitals. Excitedly, he said, "Mr Mozart, I'm looking to write symphonies. Can you give me any pointers?"

Mozart looked at the young man for a second. "You seem rather young. Wouldn't it be best if you started out by writing ballads?"

"Oh," said the young man. "Well, you were writing symphonies when you were eight years old."

"True," said Mozart. "But I didn't have to ask how."

In all seriousness, just write. Don't worry if you've got a book, or half a book. A short story or an epic. Just write. The story will tell you where to go, and how long to be. At least, that's always been the case with me. I was sure I had a one or two page story once - it ended up being thirteen pages, and a hundred plus pages. I've also had huge anthologies peter out after two chapters. :slight_smile:

You'll know what to do when you get there. Don't worry about organization too much. It's the 21st century. You can go back and alter things - you're not scribbling on parchment. :slight_smile:

Lex

8. Lily

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Brave guy sharing your idea! I like it though. The kiss idea is good. But you need something to bring them back together or your readers won't like you! Trust me on this. Filler is the hard part. just think of little things. Like for instance when Corbin (like the name by the way) and Josh start falling in love. Little things make it up. But don't over do it with the detail. I would share an idea with you but I don't want it stolen. I have yet to become a millionaire with one of my books! But any way. Make up things your characters like doing use some things you like. Its always been said to write what you know. Its the truth. Describe what your characters look like. Show them doing activities. If your having trouble with ideas...start looking for things that inspire you. Music books games. Stephen King once said if you have no time to read you have no time to write.

I wish you luck and know this it takes time.

oh and always have a back up copy...I recently learned that the hard way