1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you/have you travelled alone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JackAttack, Sep 24, 2013.

1. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Just wondering if anyone would or has travelled alone before, either in their own country or abroad. I would, but surely there is a lot more danger if you go alone. Is it more boring to go by yourself or do you feel more free?

Also, I dont mean travel to the local shop, I mean actual travelling like getting a train for 400 something miles or hiking up some mountain etc.

One of my mates has gone Thailand by himself and has made friends out there. I recently spoke to someone else who, when he was younger, went biking through France into Spain and then Portugal by himself.

2. Hexagon

Yeah, a bit. I want to go walking with a tent somewhere sometime when I have some free time. People don't understand why :frowning2:. But I like being alone, I can become very philosophical and happy, in a way I just don't get when with others. And mountains and wind will probably amplify that.

3. Siarad

I went to Austria for a fortnight alone when I was 20 but Austria isn't exactly the wildlands! It was pretty nervewracking nonetheless having to organise everything for myself and make sure I didn't miss trains, coaches, etc or get lost!

4. Ohhai

I've always wanted to, but I'm too scared... Actually, I traveled to Leeds alone (which is 2 hours train journey), and it was fun, but also quite lonely in the hotel alone xx

5. LinkLarkin

I went to Tenerife alone a couple of months ago. It was sort of-ish a business trip so I did have colleagues while I was there, but all of the travelling was done by myself.

6. kylo

I have traveled quite a bit alone. I took a road trip out to California when I was 20, and I've drove out of state other places but California has been the longest trip I've taken alone so far. I found it to be one of the best experiences of my life so far. Theres just something about driving by yourself for 3 days seeing the country, you have a lot of time to think, and I recommend it to anyone who loves/wants to travel yet doesn't necessarily need someone to tag along with them. :slight_smile:

7. Pocky

I've been considering doing Japan alone. Flights have been quite cheap recently and I've been working my arse off to pay off a few debts and save.

Recently though I was asked if I'd be interested in visiting the US (including a White House tour) with a friend who has to go over there next year. It will cost me a lot more but I'm giving it some serious consideration.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been flying around Australia alone for quite some time. Having relatives as far north as Townsville means that it's necessary. I'm also likely to be going to Switzerland alone (to visit a relative, but I'll be autonomous) for my 18th birthday, too, which will have to be way more free.

9. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to San Francisco on my own. Turned out a friend was going for a while when I was there,so we got a hotel room together, but the trip was organised and mostly spent on my own.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And everybody loves San Francisco! I hope you had fun.

For me, almost always. People I know aren't interested in places that interest me (they're popular places, really), don't have the same time off, or may be short on cash, so I just go. I started by going all around the U.S. and then worked my way to Europe and South America. I love it. It's really liberating. The only part that gets a little tough is one too many dinners alone over the span of a trip.

Once you do it a few times, it gets easier and easier.

---------- Post added 24th Sep 2013 at 10:46 PM ----------

You're not kidding, about the thinking part ...

11. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love traveling alone. I used to have a VW bus and traveled across the US and up and down the East Coast by myself. I love the freedom. No one else s agenda and your forced to meet new people.

A couple days hiking by yourself is a good way to get your mind right as well.

Might want to plan that trip another time. White House tours have been ended do to sequester. Congress will be shutting down the rest of the Federal Government shortly.

12. prism

I moved to NYC by myself a few years ago. I didn't know anyone in New York when I moved here. I remember people telling me what a bold move it was, but I wasn't afraid at all (I wasn't even that excited, to be honest).

If you're an adaptable and flexible person, travelling alone is a wonderful experience. :slight_smile:

13. Pocky

This will be later next year and is a personal invitation to my friend from the (now former) US Ambassador to Australia, Jeffrey Bleich. It includes the oval office etc.

Regardless of whether or not tours are run, the trip is for something else my friend is attending so rescheduling isn't possible. It's not like a tour of the white house is the high point of the trip, it's just an interesting addition. I don't really care whether I go there or not.

14. Emulator

I haven't yet, but wouldn't mind. In fact I'm quite looking forward to travelling alone when I get the chance. Somewhere further would be an ideal location.
    True, there are dangers of travelling alone, but there are advantages for those who don't like anyone else tagging along with them :slight_smile:

15. monotone

I traveled to San Francisco by myself to meet my mom there.

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have travelled extensively on my own, I rather prefer it, there are no negotiations about where to go, and I constantly have to navigate, get lost and find my way again. Lonely? Not at all, I find it therapeutic to get reacquainted with myself, I contain multitudes...so we keep each other busy...

Best way to meet new people too, I can't count the number of times I have had casual conversations on European trains, for example (everyone faces each other in those cabins, quite conducive to meeting someone).

17. AKTodd

I've traveled alone for work several times, and go to the other side of the country to visit my family every couple of years or so. Plus one or two other trips. Not a huge fan of travel on general principles. Don't enjoy driving and riding a flying human cattle car for hours on end is not a thrill. But it's the price of getting where I'm going.

Todd

18. method

Yo! I absolutely recommend any travelling you can get done, especially when you're younger you have more time and opportunities to get away.

Having lived a sheltered life, the danger aspect of travelling alone was something I was acutely aware of. I did some research online though and lots of people reported back that they felt safe travelling alone by just being sensible and taking reasonable precautions. I was in awe of this one petite asian girl who dropped everything for two years to see the world on her own, including stops in a lot of places even I would be uncomfortable visiting in a posse.

I chose to go to Canada and the States as it seemed like the 'safest' of my options (I also just really wanted to go to Canada). Starting small, you'll be able to build up your confidence travelling alone, and once you start having lots of cool experiences you may find that fear of danger fading away.

Do it!

19. ScatteredEarth

I've traveled back in forth between FL to PA alone with family waiting at the airport if that counts. And other than that I have my own plans for Winter.

20. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I dream of and plan on visiting someplace far away and less known, like Almaty or Bucharest. The only problems are time, money, and resources. At heart, I'm definitely a solitary explorer, but being so darned sheltered, I haven't even traveled alone from one part of the state to another, so that should probably come first, just to get the feet wet.