1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

National/International Coming Out Day?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BryanM, Sep 25, 2013.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So if you didn't know about it, National Coming Out Day is coming up on October 11th. It's a pretty big day on the LGBT community calender, and there are festivals and celebrations of it worldwide, spreading information to the LGBT community and its allies, and encourages the process of coming out. I was wondering if any of you all knew about it, or now know about it and intend to celebrate it somehow. You can talk about any past or present plans or anything, really :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I believe that I'm going to come out to the four people that I need to come out to, plus I think I might make a Facebook post about it, so with no unforseen barriers, I can be fully out on the 11th. I guess we'll see how it goes, though.

So, have you all done anything for NCOD or plan to do anything for it? :grin:

2. lukeluvznicki13

I didn't even know it existed ;o
    I will definitely use the day to come out to more friends and possibly family members. But I am taking it slowly x]

3. Hexagon

I suppose I'll have to do something about this. I've found myself completely closeted at my new college.

4. Harve

Can you really hide that you're transgendered to your friends, day in, day out? Not a rhetorical question, just wondering!

5. LinkLarkin

I might come out to some friends. It depends how I'm feeling. It's completely coincidentally my half birthday, so as it's on a Friday I was half considering throwing a party and then revealing then it's not a half birthday party, it's a coming out party, but I kind of gave up on that plan when I realised that I hate everyone and everything. But I might go through with it if I'm feeling more sociable by then.

6. Fiddledeedee

I used NCOD as a chance to come out on Facebook last year. Months later, I discovered that my sister had done the same thing independently of me, which was amusing. This year? Not going to do anything.

7. ScatteredEarth

Had no idea it existed. Probably not going to do anything for it though because there's only really 1 person who I 'need' to come out to.. And I am NOT planning on coming out to my father anytime soon.. Maybe 18.. or 19.. or 20...

8. Hexagon

Most definitely. I haven't told anyone I'm trans in three years IRL. I was talking about sexuality. There is no way in hell I'm coming out as transgender. The college doesn't know either.

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've heard one transwoman describe living stealth as "leaving one closet just to find yourself locked in another". It really makes one wonder what IS healthiest for a person who finds themselves in such a position.

10. Hexagon

Perhaps it differs from person to person. I don't know. But now that most of the transition is behind me, it doesn't feel so much like something I need to share with people if I'm to be open. Just something in my past. I'd tell my partners, ofc, and perhaps some friends that got I get really close to. But being fully out, no way. I'd fear for my safety, for one, and I feel I'd be seen differently.

I went to an LGBT youth group a year ago, and when I arrived, I decided against coming out. I just said I was bisexual, and left it at that. I've since heard some comments that make me glad I didn't, mainly just general ignorance and an unwillingness to be educated on the subject.

#10 Hexagon, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  11. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I might use this as an opportunity to come out to my wider family and everyone on facebook. And if it goes badly? Pokemon X and Y come out the next day, so who cares?

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have anything planned for this year. Last year I did a ton of coming out. This year, I am almost 100% out, so there is not much coming out that I need to do.

13. All41

I think I might do it. I've never really told anyone so I'm really scared

14. Cerith23

I'm not out at all, and still questioning my sexuality, but I've been thinking about telling people at least that. I think it'll depend on the day...

15. RainyViolinist

Yay! Pokemon makes everything better :lol:!

I probably won't, but I'd hope to come out to my parents by then. I don't think I'm there just yet though, so maybe next year :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :slight_smile:!

16. Ian85

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was thinking of creating this topic myself, asking if anyone else had anything planned for the day. :slight_smile:

I have been living completely open and out now for 5 years, except to my extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents) as they all live in a different province from me. I've been putting off and putting off coming out to them, simply because I haven't seen much of a point. I haven't had any significant boyfriends that I've wanted to bring home for Christmas, etc., so I didn't really see much reason to stir the pot - my entire family is very conservative Christian. But, last time the whole family got together, there were a few comments made about girlfriends and the like, which were just awkward for me, and probably more awkward for my parents (who know, but probably don't want the rest of my family knowing).

As such, I've spent the past two weeks composing an e-mail to send to my extended family to come out to them on National Coming Out Day. I'm a little nervous, but even a negative reaction from everyone would have very little impact on my life (as I only see them once or twice a year - and living on my own means that if I don't feel comfortable going to family events, I don't really have to). Hopefully at least some of them take it well; I'll keep y'all updated!

17. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meh, I'm basically out everywhere so I think my job here is done. That is unless it's drilling it into my family's head that I'm queer.

18. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't possibly comprehend how I could get any farther out of the closet, at this point, haha. Which is funny cause at this time last year I had never talked about being gay to ANYone, not even once. But, yeahh, like Daydreamer said, I think my work in that dept. is done, haha.

19. Tic Code

Honestly, I don't think I'll come out to anyone else this year. Maybe next year, when I'm away at college.

20. purplekitty

I didn't know about this. I'll mark my calender! I'm going to try to come out to at least one person by that day.