1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sex Education

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Renge, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Renge

Here's a few a question .. How many of you have sex education in your school? What's the purpose? How does the teacher teach you? With movie? o.o My country doesn't have any. And do you think it's good or not to have a sex edu? Why? .. isn't it like more of them would do it in a younger age since they know how to be safe ..

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's sex education, but it's pathetic. They don't mention gay sex at all (and homosexuality is only discussed in the "lifestyle" part, forget anything more), and the rest is straight sex and birth and STI's. They don't like "offending" conservative parents, but they're fine letting us have to learn about sex first-hand.

3. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, we got sex ed her twice once in 5th grade(9-10yrs) and again in middle school(12-13yrs) both were awkward as hell. Its more informative the second time there was a video but really they teach you the basic mechanics and the second time was scare tactics it seemed. To me it was information I did not want at 9 and afterwards I didn't feel more educated I learned everything I needed to know and more from my friends...I guess for some it could be good but really I'm not sure.

---------- Post added 26th Sep 2013 at 03:35 AM ----------

This too unfortunately^^

4. ScatteredEarth

We don't have a class dedicated to it if that's what you're asking, but we were taught about sexual awareness in 4th grade, 5th grade, 7th grade, 8th grade, and 9th grade (Biology, could vary depending on what grade it's taken in your state)

Our class ended up having this giant debate over gay sex and seeing as I wasn't in a shithole school, everyone seemed supportive/didn't care about the subject and pretty much said "live and let live"

This was not the same outlook at the next school I went to. Just saying.

5. Zac

Zac

Was pretty much wear a condom, don't get pregnant... Lol

6. nichison

We have abstinence only sex ed at my school. Because abstinence is a totally a realistic goal for teenagers.

7. Silver Sparrow

My school's health class is actually pretty good compared to others I have heard about and my health teacher is good at not being gender specific.

8. Donnerschlag

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    We had one in my 9th grade. Our teacher teached us on how to use condoms, about safe sex, STD's and contraceptives. Had one session once where he discussed about masturbation and techniques how to make it more pleasurable.

9. BiPenguin

I don't know what sex education consists of my children's schools now. When we lived in Queensland, I listened to what my eldest child was being taught in high school and it was well short of what should be taught.

Sex Ed today seems to concentrate on using a condom to stop pregnancy and the spread of STI's. Nothing about the changes the body goes through.

We have a rather liberal household though and all four of my children had begun their education at home before they started their first year in school.

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in college and looking through the course catalog, we have Basic Health Concepts I, II, and III, Human Sexuality, Psychology of Human Sexuality, and probably the same class you got in high school, Human Sexuality Education.

In high school, you had to pass a test that the district wrote on the sex education course when you took health class your freshman year. You didn't get a say in that.

11. Mysz

The goal of my sex ed classes in middle and high school was to tech kids that lots of people have sex, but that if we ever did we'd probably end up with an STD/I or pregnant. No mention of gay sex at all, though there were a few questions about anal.

12. Ohhai

We had sex ed. It was literally 'don't have sex. Here is how you put a condom on. Here, have a condom. Don't get pregnant. But we all know you will, this is a chav school'. And here I am, I got pregnant at 17 :lol:
    Anyway, there was nothing important. Nothing about having the right to say no, respecting yourself and same sex partners, not even love was mentioned.

13. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Sex ed? I thought that only happened in movies. :S

14. TheStrongestLink

Absolutely untrue! It also happens on TV shows!

15. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, but it was pretty rubbish. Basically just pregnancy, protection and STIs. Not bashing that, they're all important and better than nothing, but it was very limited.

Orientation? nothing. Gay relationships and homophobia? nope. How to handle sexual relationships? not much worthy of note. Religion vs sexual urges, consent, differing ideas on the subject, tolerance, all either not mentioned or covered very briefly and simplistically. A lot of the other stuff they told us was pretty much common sense.

It would have been a lot better if it had a broader scope than "here's how not to get yourself/someone else pregnant".

16. leer

we had classes 15-16 when someone from local health authority would come talk to us taught us about condoms STDs god it was piss poor several of my mates were dads before they were 16 & pregnancy rate was surprisingly high:rolle:. so the classes really worked:dry: not a word about same sex relationships sort of got the impression they were saying GO FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF .

#16 leer, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  17. Siarad

Sex Education is still very poor in the UK and is essentially going backwards - Several 'academies' have been allowed to reintroduce the Section 28 rules of sex education and forbid teachers from talking about or acknowledging same sex relationships.

18. purplekitty

I took a sex ed class in 5th grade, 8th grade, and 10th grade (10, 13, and 15 years old). Each time, males and female were taught in separate classes. In fifth grade, they just covered anatomy and emphasized that if an adult touched you "down there" that it was okay to tell someone about it, as well as how to avoid getting kidnapped by perverts. 8th and 10th grade were a little more in-depth. They talked about diseases and how some of them are spread. They went over anatomy, menstrual cycles, briefly covered the stages of pregnancy and what to do/what not to do while pregnant. They talked about how to get out of an abusive relationship. Then they had this abstinence only program where they tried to convince everyone not to have sex until at least legal age (18). They briefly talked about condoms, but they never talked about dental dams (a term I read about this week on this forum). And they didn't talk about which birth control methods/pills were more effective. They didn't talk about abortion. They didn't mention gender identity or sexual orientation at all.

I think they covered some good things, but I would have liked it if they had talked more about some issues. But they didn't cover some things because I live in a conservative area and I'm sure many parents resented that their kids had to take it at all. I do think that sex education is important. Some kids will probably have sex anyway, so knowing how to be safe, as well as how pregnancy/menstrual cycles work, makes it so that people will know more and not end up getting pregnant and jeopardizing a young person's life. I think that teaching kids about sex is better than them discovering it for themselves because otherwise they might learn their lessons the hard way.

#18 purplekitty, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  19. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    we had nothing of interest, mostly naming the parts of the organs, nothing about protective gay/lesbian sex. and then came the baby birth picture.....

oh god never again​

20. Hexagon

Sex ed? What is this?