1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controversial trans* question #1: On trans* and Bodily Integrity Identity Disorder

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SFSorrow, Sep 26, 2013.

1. SFSorrow

I've got two questions that I've spoken about a bit with friends but not really anyone who's known much about the issues, so I'd like to get thoughts from people who do know what they're talking about. I'll ask them in separate threads because although they're related they're not on the same topic. I don't really agree with the views but when I've thought about it I've had a hard time coming up with totally convincing arguments against them.

What is the objective difference between trans* folk having sex reassignment surgery (SRS) (hopefully that's the right term) and people who have bodily dsyphoria about other parts of their body, such as people who want to have their limbs amputated? It's called Bodily Integrity Identity Disorder (BIID). This question was prompted because I recently read a news story about a woman who wanted to be paralysed from the waist down so purposefully had accidents to try to do so, and was trying to find a doctor who would sever the spinal nerves for her.

How do you refute the argument that the difference between people with BIID and people who are transgender is only one of degree and not kind, and that both are more deserving of therapy rather than surgery? One obvious way which I can think of that they differ is the studies that find transgender individuals to have brains more similar to the gender they identify as rather than their physical gender.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Second question here:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-...ans*-question-2-gender-roles.html#post1696244

#1 SFSorrow, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. SilverGirl

Re: Controversial trans* question #1: On trans* and Bodily Integrity Identity Disorde

interesting, i was thinking about the same thing yesterday!

i remember reading about BIID a long time ago, but after yesterday's therapy session for some reason i was wondering the same thing as you, i dont plan on doing SRS though so i didnt give much thought to it, im interested in what other people have to say and ill take some time to think about it later to see how i would answer it

3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Re: Controversial trans* question #1: On trans* and Bodily Integrity Identity Disorde

That's what I was going to go to as well, although I'd be interested in seeing case studies of people with BIID and seeing if there's something about their brains that makes them feel the way they do.

4. Hot Pink

The main difference is that not all transgender people want to have SRS. Also, barely anything is removed in SRS. Many people assume it's a "snip snip," but that's actually not the case. The only thing removed during the operation are the testicles. Everything else is used for reconstruction. In terms of MtF surgery, anyway. I'm not well-versed on FtM surgery. Comparing it to an amputation is extreme and completely dissimilar. Think of it as turning an outie into an innie.

5. SFSorrow

I can see where you're coming from, but my question isn't so much about the physical fact of the removal of body parts, more about the psychology that creates any kind of dissatisfaction with a person's physical being.