1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controversial trans* question #2: On gender roles

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SFSorrow, Sep 26, 2013.

1. SFSorrow

My second question (first one is here: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-...-integrity-identity-disorder.html#post1696240) is more political, and is about traditional gender roles and transgender individuals.

It's often said that the world should be more diverse and embracing of people who don't fit into the rigid categories of male and female, but by having sex reassignment surgery aren't trans* people reinforcing the gender binary even more strongly?

As I understand it this is related to the radical fairy approach that's been discussed on here a bit recently of breaking down gender boundaries. It's an approach that I have a lot of sympathy with. I've thought about this because a friend apparently thought it bizarre that when I crossdress I keep my normal short, shaved hair and never wear a wig, but I made the point that women can have short hair too, and that he was being unduly restrictive in his conception of how women should look.

Hopefully people see what I'm getting at.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The problem with this is that transgender people see themselves as the opposite gender. I see myself as male, so I want to become male. I hate being seen as female. I'm a more feminine male, but I still see myself as being male. So, I'm not even looking at gender roles, I'm looking at how I see myself. And I see myself as male.

3. Hot Pink

Gender identity and gender roles are not the same. Just because someone is transgender, doesn't always mean they go to extremes. A lot of them do at the beginning of their transition. They want to be as unlike their natal sex as possible. Later, they calm down, and realize it's okay to be a little masculine--in my case--sometimes. Women aren't always feminine and men aren't always completely masculine. People are more complicated than that. I allow myself to be myself, which means sometimes being masculine and sometimes being feminine. Although, I'm feminine most of the time, but I don't completely adhere to female gender roles. I don't wear dresses or skirts or makeup. I'm feminine in how I act and talk, though.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

The problem has more to do with a brain/se mismatch as opposed to fitting into a specific gender role.

I identify as male. Brain's structured to take in tetosterone and recognize male anatomy (hence why many transmen experience the so called phantom penis phenomenone- Their brain is wired to recognize a penis, differing from a biological woman's vaginal contractions or clitorial stimulation. I've had this a number of times). Without the correct hormone, the mental health of a transperson can be compromised (leading to symptoms that resemble depression and anxiety, among other things.

I for instance, conforming to gender roles, am feminine enough that I'd be better off as a woman according to binary society. Artistic, quiet, not physically powerful. But I'm not a woman. Male brain. Female body. Hence- I'm an effeminate male. :slight_smile: