1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Society's Homophobia: Does it get to you? How to deal?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DrkRayne, Sep 27, 2013.

1. DrkRayne

I know may seem like a dumb question, but I meant not the one you may get from people you know, but the one from strangers and people in the media?
    I understand the homophobia from people I know (like my partner's parents) because it effects them personally, but not from strangers.

Yesterday my girl and I attended a charity event. A fundraiser for the LGBT community here in reference to getting marriage and adoption rights. I’ve been scanning the news looking for the articles mentioning it.

Thing is, when reading one article, you see more and you see the comments.

Why are people so mean? Why do they have such hatred for people they don't even know? Its sad.

I’ve been out a few years and I still can’t wrap my head about the homophobia in our country. In my state. I was reading the states defense to the lawsuit for gay marriage and...I was hurt.
    Why do so many people hate us? What have I ever done to receive the vicious looks when I hold my partner’s hand? What have I done for others to say we deserve death or that we destroy society?
    I go to work, come home, eat dinner, wash dishes, go to my nephew’s sports games, go out with friends. Watch TV.
    I am no different that anyone else….except I come home to a woman instead of a man. so why are people so cruel.
    And I have it easier than some, I'm a femme lesbian so people don't know I'm a lesbian unless I say something. I walk down the hall at a client, and sometimes I wonder "how many people who are here would hate me if they knew?"

I mean, these are people who don't even KNOW a gay person and they put all this effort into harming people they don't even know.
    Normally I ignore it....but sometimes it makes me want to cry. It's gotten in my head after that fundraiser last night.
    How do you deal with?

2. lukeluvznicki13

I just try to hide from it and make out that I'm not bisexual.
    Especially where I live, there are many judgemental people here x.x

3. Ohhai

I ignore it... I say it doesn't bother me, but I guess that the way I hide my sexuality means it does affect me to some degree xx

4. Aussir

Honestly? I have better things to do in my life than fill every waking thought with homophobes and their dislike of us... I tend to just live my life and ignore them.

I don't make it a big thing to go out there and tell everyone about me to begin with, simply because my private life is none of their damn business.

Some people fear the unknown, fear anything that is different... some are just downright sad idiots that vent the frustrations with their own lives by bullying others.

Homophobes may or may not change their view in the future but the tendency is that if those views are deeply rooted, they won't change.

The best we can do is move on and focus on those who accept us and love us as we are, and those that help us being accepted by the rest of society and get our rights recognized.

5. PyroSpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm a masculine guy so I don't really have to deal with anything different.

Though if I was more like the "stereotype" gay, then I'm sure it would have been different since I live in north carolina.

"Gender: Male / Sex: Female
    Orientation: By Gender: Hetero / By Sex: Lesbian"

WHAT DOES THIS EVEN MEAN!?

6. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i dont know. it bugs me too.

this is what I think though, it may not be true (maybe not at all) but if it even slightly makes sense it seems not as bad or stupid.

those who are really homophobic tend to be the people who were popular in high school and college and are stuck in their glory days. during those times they felt everything was perfect and in control. now that they dont have their rosy shades anymore they realize they arent
    everything anymore and thinking society is going down the drain so homosexuality appears to be in the center, its just a scape goat for their world not being the way they wanted it to be.

7. Aussir

Means that I'm transgender (FtM)... and depending on how people "label" me, I can be either a Straight Male or a Lesbian...

*hands a brain* here... free of charge.

The rest of my opinion of you can't be printed here.

#7 Aussir, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  8. I just try to ignore it, or challenge them.

He's a man who was born female who is attracted to women. There are nicer ways to ask that question. Calm down, dude.

9. DatChickBassist

Out Status:
    All but family
    I can pass off as straight easily, but I have a preference for girls so it makes it difficult sometimes. I get angry sometimes that I have to hide my sexuality just because of someones prejudice.

10. PyroSpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you.

11. Aussir

Quite so... my Kinsey is 0 :lol:

Indeed... he would have got a better answer.

I must admit that I was quite thrown off by the fact that someone from LGBT community doesn't seem to know the separation between gender and sex. It threw me off more than the way the question was made actually... :confused:

#11 Aussir, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  12. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I simply laugh it off because what they think/have to say is generally funny as hell. It doesn't bother me, as long as they are not threatening me, then they are entitled to their own opinion. Some people are afraid because they think that we pose a threat to society, funny right? Aren't they the ones doing the bullying? It doesn't make any sense to be honest because at the end of the day, we are all human.

13. Siarad

I feel very strongly that we are living in the past when it comes to Homophobia - people who support gay people in theory get drawn into debates about 'how far is too far?' when it comes to Homosexuality when the question should really be "Have we got far enough until people don't have to 'come out' about their sexuality, don't have to think about it, just date people they like (of neither, either, both genders) until conclusions emerge naturally of whatever nature is true ('mostly women, mostly men, a bit of both - "my type? Androgynous women. My celebrity crush - Sigourney Weaver. etc) We're not there until people don't have to confess to who they are, they can just be it. Till then - it's a personal decision - get as close as you can to who you want to within the current system and otherwise quietly get on with it, or keep fighting for true equality - neither are right or wrong - just different takes on life. For me personally, I desperately want true equality to be how the world is right now, not in the future and it hurts me deeply that it isn't and that my sexuality is something I have to confess to and come out about rather than something that is accepted. If I get to have the wife and kids I long for, I want my children to have the opportunity to be whoever they are in the world and it seems that if I want that, I have to fight for it. I have to believe that participating in that fight will allow the children I might have not to have to.

14. enigmeow

What drives me crazy is when people you thought were "cool" begin to spout the same homophobic dribble about same-sex marriage is some slippery slope to pedophilia. You have to challenge to produce their own ideas and reasons.

15. blueberrymuffin

Yeah, it's important to "rise above it" in public but in private those barriers come down, and it does get to me at times. It's the same old thoughts i've been asking for years, "What did i do to them? How can half the people out there hate me for just being myself. It completely ruined about 6 years of life" and so on.

Not to mistake, these are occasional thoughts only. How i deal with it is usually just switch the thoughts to how much progress we've made, that soon the homophobes will be shunned. Because, let's face it, most homophobia comes from heterosexuals, it can also help if i contact a hetero friend, not to whine about it but just talk. I usually feel better after that.

16. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having 20 years plus on you I recall a society that was homophobic.

Its pretty darn gay embracing and LGBT tolerant now days... So due to where I have been I see where we are today to be a lot more hopeful and happy for LGBT.

Sure we have the occasional screamer screaming some profanity, or groups like Phelps Church of Love (and hellfire and damnation). But in general the whole slant of society as a whole in the USA and other western nations is far, far better than it was 20 years ago.

Heck with legal marriage springing up everywhere, with DADT being replaced with an open door policy, one can say that LGBT have actually won.

17. Hrantou

The way I see it, everyone is gonna be hating on something. Even 200 years from now, when homophobia is mostly gone, you're still gonna meet those few who look at you like "ew"

So I ignore it. And in my experience so far, most people stay out of my way about it. Life is short, and even shorter for some others and I'm not gonna spend it on my neighbors who like to whisper about how gay I am.

18. Chels

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't say it doesn't bother me, just as I can't say I don't at least try to defend not really myself, since I'm not out, but the LGBT world in general and I try to "talk some sense", or at least to get to a compromise with whoever. But I'm learning to let it go, if people want to be close minded and live and see the world in that way, i won't let it phase me in the long run: it's not gonna change who I am, if anything it's just gonna change how I see them.

19. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's utterly idiotic, which is the case 99% of the time, I brush it off.

20. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends. To be honest? I'm more afraid of it than anything. I get a lot of hateful looks and comments when I go out, and that bugs me, but it's not really what worries me..sticks and stones, ya know? It's just that I live in a small, extremely bigoted, Southern town with a LOT of rednecks..so there's always the worry when you go out that someone is going to take it to the next level.

I dunno, it's just something I have to live with, for now. Hopefully I can get to a more open minded area, soon, but in the meantime I try to be as careful as possible when I go out.