1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noticing mentions in threads that nerdy guys are in demand

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In the "what is your type of girl or guy" thread, some mention nerdy guys. Let's keep this amicable and fun, but I'm trying to wrap my head around what nerdy entails for most of you.

To me, it's a quieter, humbler, studious look, often with glasses that complete the picture. It, by no stretch of the imagination, means unattractive. It doesn't have a tech or other connotation, to me. They can be low-tech, too.

So, what is a nerdy guy and why do you find them attractive? I'll admit there are definitely some I find attractive. Unless they're socially inept, they're also easier to get along with than someone who requires adulation.

2. Hexagon

Intelligence and often, a desire to discuss intellectual topics. And I don't see why a nerd would be ugly.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to have that look...then I got contacts.

4. lukeluvznicki13

Nerds can be really cute sometimes without them noticing haha x]

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hexagon:

I think that's an antiquated concept. There was/is a cult movie called "Revenge of the Nerds." In it, the attractive girls were dismissive of some the nerds, as in "Ew, get away from me, nerd," largely for their appearance, as depicted in this movie. While I haven't heard anyone say that IRL, I've noticed some displeasure and squirming when some girls thought negatively of guys for a general lack of coolness. Ditto for cool guys who didn't want to associate with them for many of the same reasons. But, yeah, there can be some nerds who, while not quite hot, can be good looking enough.

6. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I classify nerdy as not a visual style, but someone who isn't afraid to fawn over things like TV shows, games, books etc. I'd like to date that kind of guy because I'm also nerdy by my definition, so I think it'd be a lot of fun to be nerdy with my bf :3

7. RainyViolinist

I, being nerdy myself, would like to be with another nerdy guy, maybe a little more normal than me though, because then we could just embrace and bask in each other's mutual nerdiness and poke fun at each other, as well as be able to have intellectual conversations :slight_smile:.

8. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I'm nerdy yet only considered attractive to one!

9. AmityRanch

I agree 100% with your definition of what a nerd is, so, I guess in a way, I am one.
    That being said, I can't really say I'm attracted to other nerds all that much.
    I'm not a huge fan of the soft-spoken type.

10. Oxelotl

My definition of nerdy is having a strong interest usually in a variety of topics, and being able to talk about those topics in detail and enjoying yourself, and having intelligent conversations about those topics (and others). Looks don't matter because there are nerdy looking people who are massive idiots. Personally I think I'm a little nerdy and I would love to be with someone else like me (not as insane as me), and just talk about weird nerdy stuff.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, so I'm a nerd, and always have been. No wonder I get along with them.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there's a bit of a difference between nerds and what's being talked about here. A nerd is someone who is incapable of regular interaction, is annoyingly obsessed with a very specific topic, and commits many faux-pas, as well as possessing some bad personality traits such as arrogance or elitism.

The "nerd" idea that we've currently got is just smart people. There's a difference, I think. I know (and wish I didn't know) several nerds in the original sense of the word, but they're definitely not what we're talking about here.

13. monotone

Haha, your orientation is "horndog"?

14. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think the word then would be "geek", no?

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I think "geek" is a far better word. I consider nerds as stupid-smart (able to do something like complex algebra, but incapable of conducting a conversation without getting on everyone's nerves or embarrassing someone).

I'd say I'm a bit of a geek, but I'm definitely not a nerd, and most people who call themselves nerds aren't.

16. Pocky

Yeah definitely.

Geeky is the more non-conforming, bespectacled type whose interests could be anything from art to computer programming. They're just happy being themselves and most of the time are accepted and pretty well regarded.

Nerdy is the neckbeard, annoying type who has the delusion of superiority and ridicule those who don't have the same intimate knowledge of their topic of interest.

Now...what about dorks? Or dweebs? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

[​IMG]

I think this sums it all up.

18. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OKAY.. Okay, okay.. I hang around with these kinds of people (They're also in my family), and I've grown up with them. So. Here are my words for each "definition".

A dork.

A geek. Actually, it's more accurately describing a fanboy or a fangirl. And even then, there are different levels of each.

A non-conformist.

This actually describes a hipster, in some indirect way. For those who might still not quite understand what that is, a hipster is someone who doesn't do something because it's mainstream or does something because it's not mainstream. But because of what they do, they end up having this elitist attitude that comes off as ultimate arrogance, while they seek out "the best" and shun everything that's mainstream because that's usually not "the best", especially in music nowadays. But what they don't realize is that that kind of stuff is all subjective. They're trying to find something that's "The best" with an objective mindset, when they're searching for something subjective.

A nerd, however, is someone who likes to learn. Simply put, that is what a nerd is. It's not "someone smart" because anybody could naturally be smart. But in order to be a nerd, you have to naturally like learning things that most people simply despise (such as math). A geek can also be a nerd at the same time. A nerd can also be a hipster. Or a non-conformist. A geek can be any one of these, as well. Somebody could be all four. But no "nerd" or "geek" or "hipster" is the same as every other.

For one, they all have different interests of each other, and different degrees of them. My sister is a HUGE fan of Sherlock, to the point where she eats, sleeps, and drinks it. I on the other hand, am a very big fan of Sherlock and I'll get in on the jokes, but I'm not completely obsessive over it. Some nerds or geeks are Homestucks, while others can't seem to wrap their head around why someone would read something like that. There are geeks that like video games, and (*gasp*) geeks that don't.

Most nerds and geeks and even dorks I know are very friendly and have the lowest egos and self-esteems I've ever seen for one big reason: They're the ultimate outcasts of society, and they know it. They've never been able to fit in with the "regular" or "popular" crowd, and because of that, they've been shunned, bullied, etc. just for being different. The generation I see this most common in? Generation X, the generation of my parents and their friends. They're truly the most selfless people I know because of this. They don't want to be the "popular" crowd because that crowd has done things to them that they never want to see done to anybody, period.

19. Pocky

Beat me to it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Love your work!

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people