1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I feel motivated to go to my new job?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aptiva, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I got hired for a new job quite recently, something that I have been hoping for for a long time. I had been searching for a while because I want some money so I can freely buy lunch, snacks, pay for my car and save for a new and expensive computer.

But now that I have the job, I feel awkward when I go. Last Wednesday, I went for training, but since it was after school and there wasn't a lot of time, they couldn't train me, but because I wore the uniform they gave me (I didn't have to wear it) they asked if I would like to work for 3 hours and get paid for it. So, I agreed to it. I did not like it one little bit.

Tomorrow (Saturday) I have to return at 11:00 AM for the formal training, which I really do not want to do. I would much rather go to school and do tests than go there. There are a few reasons I don't want to return.

First, I felt extremely awkward when I went and did stuff on Wednesday. I didn't like doing what I was doing and I was very uncomfortable. Not necessarily nervous, but uncomfortable.

I don't know what I'm to be doing when at work. I work in the produce section of the grocery store. I thought it would be easy when I applied but it most certainly is not. Counting the stock of lemons, apples, kiwis, limes for example is very difficult. I would much rather work in the regular grocery section than the produce, bakery or meat sections.

Can someone please help me? I don't know what to think and I'm stressing out over it because how much I don't want to go.

2. Pocky

It's completely normal to feel out of your depth when starting a new job, regardless of what it is and how easy it might seem at first.

It happens with pretty much any job, but the good thing is that training tends to take the edge off that.

I started a new job this year, completely different from anything I've ever done and spent weeks having no clue what I was doing or why I was there. I kinda felt like George from Seinfeld:

[YOUTUBE]-zpOVmhkEaQ[/YOUTUBE]

Anyway, just go a few times. Your co-workers will show you all the tricks and tips and it sounds like something you'll pick up really quickly. Plus, if you stick around you will eventually have the opportunity to do what you actually want. If you leave, they won't be very willing to re-hire you if you change your mind.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but pretty much any job open to you at 16, unless you're a genius who already graduated college and can smash protons at CERN, is going to suck. Working is what you do for money. I've taken that nebulous discomfort to be a constant whenever I'm on the clock.

You can, however, make it suck less. If you have the opportunity to organize your tasks into any sort of routine, it makes the effort required much less. It may even be mindless enough that you can divert your attention elsewhere, like waiters/servers can daydream while rolling silverware in napkins.

Being friendly with your coworkers also helps a ton. A lot of discomfort at work for me comes from the feeling of loneliness, but if you realize you're in the same boat as somebody else and can bond based on that, you will feel much better. :slight_smile: