1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do you wish you came out earlier?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Britishskittles, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So recently i have been talking to a mix of people in the lgbt community who came out different ages ranging from 11 to 25 and i know there are people who came out a lot later its just those are the ones i meet being at uni, at first i am jelouse of the girl who had the guts to come out at 11 and was so sure at that age , but than realise how hard my life was as a teenager and being openly a lesbian at that school would have been torture. Its easy to say i wish i had come out to myself and my friends earlier than late teens so i would be happier with who i am today, but there are reasons i didnt come out earlier i dont think i was equiped to eal with it any earlier i just wish i was that 14 year old who just put there middle finger up to homophobia . So what do you guys think ? is there a time thats too early to come out ? do you wish you had come out earlier ?

2. LinkLarkin

I don't regret not being out at high school... coming out at college would have been okay but wouldn't have made much of a difference... but I really wish I'd come out earlier at university. Like, at the start of my first year preferably. I feel that I may have missed out on some experiences because of it. But I guess I just need to make sure I can have those experiences before I finish. Better late than never!

3. pokerface87

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to one friend telling her I thought I was a lesbian, when I was 13 and her reaction was enough to scare me from telling people for a long time. She said it was "gross" and "nasty" and to "get away from her". I should have not cared, but the problem is at that age my self esteem was quite fragile.

4. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely do. I've known about myself for as long as I can remember, but I never had the courage to say I was gay until I was 17. I knew my sister was gay since I was 12...I dunno why I didn't tell her earlier. I guess I was convinced I couldn't handle being gay, and I'd just live my life alone...and then seeing her with her gf made me realize what I would be missing out on.

5. Ohhai

I do and I don't. Things are working out okay, so I guess it's not bad that I've come out now. But maybe if I had done it earlier I would have had an easier time :/

6. Siarad

If wish I had joined the LGBT society when I went to university. I might have had the opportunity to meet other gay people and maybe even have relationships. That seems almost impossible to do out here in 'real life' and when your focus is on work, etc.

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was out in middle school, so that's whatever. But, I do wish I was more vocal about being trans* when I was a kid and maybe then (highly doubt it) that my family would have done something.

8. LILuke

I don't know if I wish I'd come out earlier, but I DO wish that when I told my best friend in Seventh Grade that I thought the boy with the locker across from mine was cute and he responded by asking me if I was a you-know-what I'd told him to fuck off and not let people like him dictate my life. So it's not that I wish I'd been out younger, but more that I wish I'd been open with myself when I was a lot younger.

[For the record, we stopped being friends after eighth grade]

9. biggayguy

I wish I had come out in my twenties. It's hard to stay out all night clubbing when you're thirty-five.

10. Split Arrows

I've been thinking of this lately and I am pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to handle it when I was in school, hell I can barely handle it now some days lol.

11. Night

Night Guest

Absolutely. I came out when I was 14, and I desperately wish I came out to everyone when I was 12.

12. Yeah, I really wish I had come out earlier instead of waiting until I was 19. I know that's pretty young to begin with, but I could have made so many more friends and I might have even had a boyfriend by now had I been out by my freshman year of college.

13. BiPenguin

I simply wish I wasn't so scared. My fear of being who I truly was saw me miss out on some awesome experiences.

14. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Yeah, I wish I had come out to everyone when I knew, 15. Less secret-keeping. But I wasn't ready for others to know yet.

15. starfish

I didn't come out until I was 28. I do wish I had come out when I was 20 or so, and enjoyed being gay in college. I also wish I had moved away to go to college. If I had done that it is likely that I would have come out.

C'est la vie

16. LadyApp

Yes, I wish I would have done it earlier. Bravery is something you should act and not learn with years. I came when I was like 24 or 25 years old and it was just because I let the world make feel ashamed of how I was. But nor anymore!! I am a left handed person, so from the very beginning I was being spotted for being different, I embraced it and thought "screw the world, I am going to be me and if you can't accept it then that's your problem".
    Hugs!!!

17. Hrantou

I wish I could have just slapped myself and accepted I was gay and would just be happy with who I was. That would have solved A LOT of my problems growing up. And being more open I think would have been better than hiding who I was to everyone, including myself.

18. 2112

I wish we didn't have to "come out" and could just start dating whoever and no one would care.

19. BiPenguin

Absolutely. Spot on. :thumbsup::eusa_danc:eusa_clap

---------- Post added 30th Sep 2013 at 03:07 PM ----------

Absolutely. Spot on. :thumbsup::eusa_danc:eusa_clap

20. Pocky

Although it might not have been possible with the people I was hanging out with at the time, I wish I had come out at 18 and done a few other things differently.

I don't think there would have been anything spectacular about being out in high school. It would have been nice to be honest with myself at that time so I could have at least found some gay friends and do a bit of experimenting, even if I was in closet.