1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Just Curious] Is Canada really that important? [Bernier Affair]

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by InaRut, May 30, 2008.

1. InaRut

So recently a little scandal has happened in our (and by our I mean my) lovely countries parliment. And the news has been all over it like flies to a bug zapper. New speculations and beliefs are reported everyday all over Canadian news net works and it makes me wonder what's worse the fact that Bernier left confidential documents in his ex girlfriends house or what the media has done to this story.

For example, according to the news, CSIS (our version of MI6- James Bond reference) might have involvement in this story. And the ex-girlfriend may or may not have given some of this UBER top secret confidential intelligence to the hells angels because she use to date a biker... HELLS ANGELS guys!

Really, it's quite funny. Apparently now other countries are embarrased at Canada because of the actions of Bernier. Canada was even on the front page of some Roman town's newspaper? WOW! That must mean like Canada and Bernier are being talked about all over the globe. Right guys?

So let me ask you, the people of EC, Who has heard about the Bernier affair? I assume most Canadians would know about it because you can't turn on a TV in this country and not hear some new speculation they have conjured. But what about some of you who are outside Canadian Borders?
    Could the media be stretching the truth? I find that hard to believe. (!)

Anyways, before I make myself sound somewhat naive: It's not like I'm saying that what happened isn't a bad thing. And I see reason for their to be caution. I respect the fact that after this came up, Bernier resigned. What I am saying is that the news is going a little to far with what they know...and what they "believe."

:tantrum:

2. Beebo

:icon_redf I think canada is important...

3. 24601

I'm fairly up to date on current events, but I look more on the U.S. side of things, truth be told. So, no, I haven't heard about it. That doesn't mean Canada isn't important, though - you guys have the potential to be the world's next oil giant, what with all that oil in Alberta and all. Achieve that status, and half the world will kowtow to Canada.

Oh, and I just did a search on the NYTimes website (which is what I generally read), and there was only one really short article about it. So, to directly answer your question, I guess the Canadian media is blowing its global significance up a bit.

#3 24601, May 30, 2008
    Last edited: May 30, 2008
  4. Bryan90

I am paying 12,000 dollars for a semester in university, so Canada better be important... :eek:

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is a bit of an embarrassment. But it is nothing really out of the ordinary. If you compare this to other scandals or 'affairs' in other countries in particular Italy, this one pales in comparison.

When it comes to the media stretching the truth, absolutely. The media has a talent for exaggerating facts and the course of events. After all this is what keeps people tuning into the news and keeps up the ratings. In a week or so this is going to be ancient history or as soon as the media finds another juicy story to hang on to for a few days. From what I have seen so far on CBC and CTV and read online it is all a bit hyped up and made into a huge story. Is it interesting, yeah to some extent. But it always good also to read between the lines.

Well at least it puts Canada on the map (even though the story is a bit embarrassing)!

6. nanoman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's such a shame-- He's such a handsome man. :lol:

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's hellaciously important to the people who live there. And isn't that enough? :slight_smile:

Lex

8. SlickyPants

I'm a little embarrassed to admit it but I did not hear about this. I don't really watch TV and I guess I somehow managed to avoid this topic coming up in conversations with people.

9. Andrew

I havent heard about it either.. Dont worry ^^

10. dictionary

Canada Ey?

havent herd of it.. what is it?

11. InaRut

Hahaha I wasn't saying Canada wasn't important guys. I'm just saying Canada isn't so important in other countries as the media tried to get us to believe. That no one in the other countries really knew about hay-wire ministers and lost (the game) NATO briefs.

12. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    canada has a lot of snow it blanaces the lots of sand and desert here so yea its important

13. InaRut

*Glares at Rdude*

Well there isn't any snow right now in Ontario thank you very much...
    Just crappy weather (southern Ontario anyways)

14. panda

Some of the lack of interest might be that this group of politicians is really boring.
    In Pierre Trudeau's day Canada was known around the world.Margaret Trudeau hanging with the Rolling Stones.
    Even Chretien with his mangled English had more star power that anyone current.
    What Canada needs is a charismatic leader who can attract world wide attention.

15. InaRut

Such as me...

16. jazzrawr

*glares*

its 20 degrees celcius today in southern Ontario, thank you very much!
    *grumble grumble* snow all year round...pfft...*grumble grumble*

17. InaRut

*Grumbles along with JazzRawr as he gets out his imaginary snow shovel that shovels imaginary snow*

18. Bryan90

I think it's more of the country than that of the leader... Apparently the only countries whose leaders often become the centre of attention are: America (urgh.. duh..), Russia, and UK.

We'll see, one day perhaps when America goes into a deep DEPRESSION, while the world continues to grow, one day when the saying "when America sneezes, the world catches cold" doesn't hold, one day when people start looking north towards the very diverse and welcoming Canada, and one day when Canada has a number of witty leaders (Phil?), people would start noticing us.. :thumbsup:

19. InaRut

Woo! Maybe my older brother would do a better job though. He's more pollitical :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

VOTE MELCHERS!!! For...Liberal?

C'mon if you vote conservative we'll be stuck with another Harper. DO YOU WANT ANOTHER HARPER?

20. panda

PHIL W. HEAD OF THE WALRUS PARTY

He's got my vote!!:thewave::music::thewave::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride::goodluck::angry::angry::beer::beer: