1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaydar and married people

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by biggayguy, Sep 29, 2013.

1. biggayguy

Have you ever come across someone that sets your gaydar off like a five alarm fire even though they are married? I had a poetry writing professor that seriously set mine off. He was fascinated with gay people. He would talk about gay related topics frequently in class. He also had a bit of a lilt in his voice and earrings. Yet he said he was happily married. He is just very confusing because he likes to talk about gay topics so much. I told him on Facebook that I was gay. He seemed happy for me but had dozens of questions. IMO he may feel trapped in his marriage.

2. aznboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    He could be bi.

3. biggayguy

Yes, he could be bi'. However he seems to have almost an obsession with how and why gay people act the way they do. At times I was wondering if he was trying to bait people into coming out in his class.

4. LILuke

Is gaydar an actual thing? Because if so I think mine is malfunctioning. :/

But then...I am Bi. Do Bi people get Gaydar too? I think we should, it's only fair. Do I need to complain to customer service???

5. biggayguy

My gaydar doesn't function all the time but if this teacher is a Kinsey zero I'll eat my hat. There is no possible way. He could be Richard Simmons' brother.

6. Ticklish Fish

Why, if I don't get extra credit I won't come out anyways lOL

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He think he's probably bi, but more gay than hetero.

I didn't have such a teacher in college, but did in grad school, when people may have taken a break and gone back after working for a few years. I had this professor who was older, Southern, very evangelical, married, and a grandfather.

Everything about him was kind of creepy and not real. His voice was affected and just plain peculiar. He would gasp with delight at times. Students would look at each other with disbelief. One time I went to see him in his office to discuss a research project and he derailed the topic into discussing the importance of family. He didn't know me, didn't know anything about me, and must have zeroed in on the lack of a wedding band. I think he probably went to grad school married. He was also lazy because he was tenured. One event like that can change how you feel about someone. I kept my distance from him and never took another course from him.

---------- Post added 29th Sep 2013 at 06:47 PM ----------

Of course bi people have it. However, it malfunctions for everyone at times. I think everyone has it. Look at how many parents pull their kids aside and sort of recommend that their kids aren't as tight with some kids they suspect to be GLB.

8. LILuke

Someone needs to teach me how to turn it on then, unless someone is so flamboyant their their homosexuality has taken on a physically manifest form to slap me in the face I'm usually pretty clueless. >><<

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, it's largely about the type of eye contact exchanged. Can't explain it. For the parents I described above, it's usually because someone has some unconventional ideas, unconventional interests, and an unconventional manner - that is, to those parents who have tighter boundaries around what they think is conventional.

10. LILuke

I guess it's something I'll just get more accustomed to over time. To be fair, prior to a few weeks ago I hadn't really hung out with that many gay guys, so I probably didn't have much of a frame of reference to go by.

11. blueberrymuffin

Yeah, even though we only saw each other at thanksgiving, could tell my married uncle was gay. He has 3 kids too and finally came out this past year. However unlike you with your prof, i saw him around the wife.

Being interested in topics really is not much to go on. The most vocal gay supporters (and opponents) i know are hetero. It's a hot button issue that people want to learn about and discuss. Especially if he's not met many gay people, i think that would explain all the questions.

Mannerisms and especially looking at guys in a sexually interested way are the best indicators in my experience.

12. Lindsey23

Ha ha ha, I think I should complain too. Although now that I'm looking for it I'm starting to notice some people. I saw this one woman recently who looked totally feminine. She walked like a man though. Her hips didn't move at all. I smiled at her and she smiled back...I don't know though, I have no way to confirm it.

13. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Totally. A guy I know at church who is married and has several kids was the one who first made me think about coming out. He has no noticeable stereotypical gay mannerisms or speech patterns, but he sets off either my gaydar, or my hope! He was always very friendly and conversational with me (which hasn't been my experience with straight guys in general), and made lots more eye contact than I've come to expect. We're still very much just casual acquaintances, but as we've gotten to know each other better, the eye contact has gotten more and more pronounced, and he's also extremely physically friendly with me. He waves to me if he sees me walking around town, and also makes a point to initiate conversation in places like the grocery store--often calling out my name if I don't notice him there. I actually make a point to act more flamboyant around him and wear my more "gay" looking clothes when I know I'm going to run into him, to check his reaction. Definitely has not scared him off one bit, and he's as touchy-feely as ever. Might just be his personality, but a part of me really hopes it might be more than that.