1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Vote] Spirituality Vs Technology

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nicvcer, May 30, 2008.

?

Which is better to spend our time on? Evolving spiritually or technologically?

1. Spirituality

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. Technology

22 vote(s)
    62.9%
  1. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

I realized today that we are evolving as a system (the human race) technologically, but we are not evolving spiritually, or at least there is little to no emphasis on the importance of evolving spiritually.
    For the human race, which do you feel is more important to evolve? Technology or Spirituality?

Feel free to discuss!
    D

2. Alex

What do you mean by spirituality? Religion or? im not sure :slight_smile:

3. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm a technocrat all the way.

4. Beebo

I think we need a balance, look at Menonites, they might be evolving spiritually, but they have cut themselves off from technology, and in turn, anyone who uses technology.

In the same way, if we only evolve technologically, we might be seperating ourselves from nature, and the human experience: powerful emotional experiences, social connections and of course, love, relationship and art.

This argument is like. Science vs. Art.

#4 Beebo, May 30, 2008
    Last edited: May 30, 2008
  5. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

I would briefly describe spirituality as the "soul" of our bodies, consciousness. Evolution of spirituality would be using our consciousness collectively on Earth, instead of separately. And using this collective influence to make a positive impact on our world.

I am not religious, so there is no beginning and no end in my opinion. No purgatory no punishment no reward. I feel our souls and our brains are capable of much more than what we think they are capable of. This also means this has nothing to do with religion, just a feeling I get. A feeling we all get, or perhaps we don't all get. That part is for you to figure out.

This is comparable to technology. By having a collective, for example, "the internets", we have evolved technologically. Some people would say technology makes the world a better place, and are happy when new technology is introduced, such as compact discs, and they feel that this is how we will make our world a happier place to live.
    But there also exists evil technology, such as nuclear weapons. This makes technology very dangerous and threatens our existence, as opposed to collective spirituality which may help the world immensely, but has no negative drawbacks. Or some people believe spirituality is BS and would not change the world, so they focus on technology instead.

Here is how a friend of mine describes spirituality:

"I feel that there is something huge that drives our entire existence
    kind of like a big animal I guess
    and we're all tiny cells, a part of it
    tiny, TINY cells
    but very unique and special and NEEDED for everything to work

right now we can only see and touch the physical things
    but on the inside
    something we can't touch connects us all, it's what we all really are
    underneath it all, we are the same. Everything is everything
    I am a tree outside, the bird in the tree, you, my mom, everything"

I'm not looking to offend anyone, and I realize from the wording that this may sound like something religious. Perhaps it is, I mean you have to believe in it to understand it. But it isn't a defined religion or anything, unlike Christianity for example, or at least I don't look at it like that. I could go on for a while, but the jist of it, in my opinion, is that spirituality would be void of cons, unlike technology, and I personally feel that we should be focusing more of our efforts in that area instead. But I'd like to see what the rest of you think.

6. Beebo

does that mean I was way off with my post?

7. PatC

hmm, I spend hours on my computer, and think quad cores are sexy:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

8. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely technology! :slight_smile:

9. panda

Spirituality .Ommmmmmmmm.

10. PatC

Just thought of something: I have to go sit through Sunday school tomorrow for confirmation classes. Yeah, I make sense like that:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

11. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

Spirituality. I don't think that much people now adays take the time to appreciate the beautiful earth that we have and how wonderful life can be and that all these...materialistic things don't make someone happy.

12. PatC

I beg to differ.

13. LOVEjames

I think we have enough technology, but not nearly enough spirituality. I consider myself to be fairly balanced, but it's a pretty recent thing. I've started depending less on technology and more on spirituality. :slight_smile: I'm very at peace with my spirituality, and the balance that I have with technology.

Personally, I wish people would stop looking at spirituality as something that's 'weak' or whatnot. Also to understand the difference between spirituality and religion. Because I can understand the negative connotations that come with being in a religion, but to be spiritual is a whole different thing, in my opinion.

14. LOVEjames

<3 My opinion is that materialistic things don't keep someone happy. If I'm ever feeling down, I can rely on some spirituality that I find within myself, and not my MacBook.

15. thepinkk

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I dunno, my macbook does kinda make me happy.
    But it can't make me anywhere near as happy as sitting in a sunny meadow and closing my eyes.

I think spirituality is amazing, and frankly I wish I had some.
    Technology isn't natural... it's making us depressed.

16. Alexander

Spirituality is great for what it is, and so is technology. Find the happy medium, ya know? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Balance in all things.

17. Brandford

I agree completely

18. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Technology. It's the core of our society, and it includes far more than just cell phones, computers, and the other various things people connect with technology. Technology is the reason we've progressed as far as we have, but I can't think of a single helpful thing that spirituality has contributed. If anything, ditching technology in favor of spirituality is often more restricting than beneficial. Tech all the way.

19. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

I'm technology. Since I want to major in the Biotech field, having advanced technology will definitely help.

20. Steam Giant

Me too, through and through! :thumbsup:

It's through our technology and science that we're able to understand our existence. Of course, there are plenty of questions left unanswered, but you have to realize that humanity hasn't been around for very long, and we've only just developed the technology that allows us to scry into the way things are.

It's my belief that, if our species is going to survive for any real length of time (for example, beyond the point that Earth is capable of supporting life), we're going to have to evolve...a LOT faster than would be naturally possible. We will evolve through deep analysis and alteration of our bodies, either through bio engineering or through cyborization (or, more likely, a combination of the two). This is both our salvation as a species and the key to our eventual understanding of existence.