1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missouri man has sex with 300 people; infects dozens with HIV; told them he was HIV-

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chip, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So this article tells the story of a now-35 year old man, David Magnum, who has been HIV positive since 2003, and who has estimated having unprotected sex with over 300 people since 2003.

At least one of his partners, after being asked by Magnum to bareback, specifically asked Magnum if he had any diseases, and Magnum said no (knowing full well this was false.) That person is now HIV+.

Dozens, possibly hundreds of others are now HIV+ as a result of their bareback sex with Magnum. Most of Magnum's partners he met off of Craigslist.

I post this as a reminder: We have a lot of people here who talk about hookups on Craigslist or other hookup sites, and probably a few dozen posts of people who, in the heat of the moment, had unprotected sex with someone they didn't know and had met off of Craigslist or another hookup site.

It takes only a few moments to transmit the HIV virus, and, while no longer a death sentence for most, it is still a lifetime of expensive medications, nausea, medical complications, and treatments. And it's completely preventable, by the simple act of using condoms each and every time you have sex, no matter the circumstances, and by perhaps being a little more thoughtful about who you hook up with and how often you do so.

2. BornInTexas

Re: Missouri man has sex with 300 people; infects dozens with HIV; told them he was H

Thanks for the reminder, Chip.

3. BiPenguin

Re: Missouri man has sex with 300 people; infects dozens with HIV; told them he was H

I don't know about over there but I do believe that he would be guilty of a criminal offence in Australia.

4. June Cleaver

That is why hook-ups are just not a good idea these days to bareback with a stranger. I just don't get it other than he must have looked really hot and healthy! June

5. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

And that's just it... most people who are HIV+ "look healthy" and would be utterly indistinguishable from someone who doesn't have it. And as described in the news story, he freely admits to barebacking with everyone, and even to lying about his status, because "he was afraid of being rejected."

So the moral is, even when someone says they're disease free... you can't always trust them. And 25% of the people currently infected with HIV don't even know they're inftected, according to recent statistics.

BiPenguin: It's illegal here as well. The guy is in jail on $50,000 bail on felony charges. In California, it's attempted murder.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Thanks for the thread/post, Chip. I knew that the news was following the arrest and trial of a guy who deliberately infected a couple of people (women, in this case) was charged with a felony and jailed. How he himself became infected was not clear or I didn't glean that information. The last I heard, he is still in jail and alive because I'm sure the prison is likely providing the medication to keep him alive.

These stories make the news and are shocking. Like these are those of "angels of death" who infect people in the course of their work in the health care industry, sometimes in nursing and sometimes even in dentistry. These cases are very, very rare, so there's no need to be ridiculously concerned, though the whole idea of someone like this is very disturbing.

A person should never believe what someone tells them about their HIV status. That's why safer sex is the way to go, either through protection or sexual practices which carry a lot less risk.

7. Ticklish Fish

from reading comments, this is a person replying to people who were bashing victims:
    im going to stop reading about stupidity that only gay men gets HIV. remember if you have good relation with straight people, warn them on random hookups too :slight_smile:

(on topic of safe sex, can I just get potential sexual partners to provide actual documentation for proof? I never have hiv test before so i dont even know what the paper test result looks like)

8. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Well, if we're talking about HIV, even going with someone to the testing site, watching him take the 10 minute test, and seeing the test results for yourself would not be a reliable indicator that he is HIV-. Why? Because of the latency time.

All of the standard screening tests are looking for antibodies to the virus, not the virus itself. When someone is newly infected, it can take anywhere from three to twelve weeks after exposure for that person's immune system to develop antibodies to the virus. And worse, at the point when the person is first infected, the virus is replicating with enormous speed, because there are no antibodies to restrict it... so viral loads can become very high very quickly, increasing the risk of transmitting the virus to someone else.

So, in other words... when someone is first infected, they will pretty quickly have very high viral load, which will make the risk of transmitting the virus to someone else much, much higher than after antibodies form... and all the while, that person, if they get tested, will show negative on the typical HIV screening test, because the antibodies haven't yet formed.

So unless you go with someone to get tested, see the result, and then lock them in a room for 90 days, and get a second test at the end of that time... you have no way of knowing if that person is HIV-, or if they are recently infected, at high risk of infecting you, and testing negative because they have no antibodies yet.

There is a more expensive test (about $350 a pop) that tests for actual viral load, that is pretty accurate (about 97%, i think) at about 21 days. But due to cost, it's not widely used.

Finally... think about this: Anyone who is willing to have random sex with someone they just met off of Craigslist or one of the many hookup apps... is also going to be at much higher risk of having HIV (not to mention syphillis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, herpes, or another STI) simply because they are likely doing this regularly with others... and unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of people who regularly hook up do not always play safe, in spite of what they may tell you.

I've had many conversations with young people who have fairly frequent sex where I ask about whether they always play safe. Almost invariably, the answer is "Yes." I ask again, saying "So, every time you have sex, in every situation, you always use condoms?" And most of them still say "Yes." And then I ask a third time, usually something like "So there's no circumstance in the past 4 or 5 years where you haven't used condoms when you've had sex?" At which point... most of them admit that they've had unsafe sex. And usually, at that point, the dam bursts and they admit that they have unsafe sex occasionally, fairly often, or sometimes, most of the time. Sadly, in spite of in-depth conversations, education, and nonjudgmental encouragement about the importance of playing safe... a significant number of those people, a few months to a few years later... are HIV+. And it's needless.

They're just convinced that it will never happen to them, or they don't do it enough for it to be a risk, or that they only have sex with "healthy looking people" or they "trust their partner, who wouldn't lie to them."

I don't like to preach about this, but it is just such an important topic that I feel like continuing to have this conversation regularly will help at least a few people to think twice when they're in that situation of making that decision, and take the extra 30 seconds to put the condom on... and potentially save a lifetime of difficulty in the process.

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yikes! I'm a firm believer in being careful, and having safe-sex. Plus, I've found I like toys better than the real thing...more variety, and the idea of barebacking is actually kinda gross to me, personally. Though I like most everything else!

If I recall, I think the disease takes a while to show up on the test...so one could be infected, and not test as such. Maybe this has changed?

Edit: @ Chip, thanks, you cleared up my question!

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people