1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you act when someone suspects you're gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by resu, Sep 29, 2013.

1. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, like everyone knows, gaydar is far from 100% accurate. However, I would like to know what you LGBT guys and girls do when you are the focus of another person's attention. How do you show that you're interested in them? This is mainly directed at people like me who are still in the closet and the other person is an unknown stranger or acquaintance or even someone you suspect might be gay.

In my case, I recently have become much more comfortable with the idea of coming out since I am finally far from home for graduate school. I have started befriending some guys I had crushes on, some of whom I'm certain are straight, but others who keep giving the "gay vibe" are much harder to deal with. One of my crush-friends is a guy who lives nearby and rides the same bus, so I make it a point to always get on at the same time (though sometimes I miss it) and talk to him.

2. Hexagon

I tell them, mainly

3. Praetor

I usually try to befriend them, smile, give them plenty of eye contact, show interest in what they have to say. I usually stay away from getting too "touchy-feely" until we know each other a bit better. Any physical contact is something to be very careful about - testing the waters with small gestures is good to get a feel for how comfortable the other is.

But in all honesty, if I'm interested in someone, and I think there is a possibility they may reciprocate, I'll just ask them to a movie or something like that.

For same-sex relationships, there's of course the added complexity of figuring out their orientation. Usually eyes are a dead giveaway. If another man has any interest in you... he'll let you know in his eyes. The obvious ones will just look up and down and check you out, less obvious ones will look directly at you, and the shy ones will always try to avoid eye contact because for those split seconds they do look at you, they get very flustered.

Don't rely too much on stereotypes like mannerisms, because they aren't always spot on. Think of them more as supplemental evidence of one's orientation rather than a direct indication.

4. prism

[​IMG]

Fortunately, the people that I've genuinely crushed on have always professed their feelings to me first. I can initiate physical contact, but I shut down when it comes to verbally expressing my feelings.

5. BiPenguin

If someone suspects I am gay and they ask the question, how I reply depends on how and why they ask. If they're just being mongrels, I don't really answer the question or even better, I reply; "Why, do you want some?"

If they are not being mean spirited, I just say that I'm not. It's the honest answer for me.

6. timo

Nowadays I usually confirm their suspicions.

7. Pearcheese

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Depends on the person. If it's a person that I've just met, I'll just tell them nope. It's not a lie because I'm figuring out where I stand and I can't really answer the question with any certainty, nor do I feel the need to confide to a relative stranger that I'm questioning.

My friends have never asked me this question before. I suppose if they would ask me now could give them a bit of an explanation. Dunno about that for now though.

8. Ohhai

No one ever suspects I'm gay -.-

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here, despite my new-found freedom to act and dress as I please...doesn't bother me anyway. I tell those who need to know.

10. Night

Night Guest

I act normally. Usually if they're really curious about my sexuality they'll ask questions like, "Do you have a girlfriend? Why not? You're just deciding you don't want one? Tell me why you don't want one!"

They usually try to push it out of me. I almost never tell them straight up because if they want this, they're gonna have to work for it.

11. Tic Code

Nobody thinks I'm gay at all :|

12. LILuke

No one has ever "Suspected" I was gay [or Bi for that matter] so much as accused. So usually my responses have been along the lines of "No, fuck off!" >><<

13. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm just kinda like "Umm, duh?". I don't try to hide who I am, anymore.

14. Colours

I'm usually straightforward about it, but last weekend I was at a party with some friends who I'm not out to, and there was this man who got all offensive saying he would never wear the red trousers I was wearing and that I was probably going to rim someone when I went home. He asked if I was gay and I denied. It really annoyed me though, if it wasn't for my friends I might have lost my temper.

I came out to my friends afterwards though, so I guess the fella helped me in a way.

15. Miss Loopy

[​IMG]

Just me? Just me.

16. blond

:roflmao:

17. robotman

No one thinks I'm gay either :/ and if I suspect that someone is gay and try to flirt they think I am just having a laugh and not being serious because no one thinks I'm gay *facepalm*

18. BiPenguin

Man, if only wasn't so fearful of being me when I was in my late teens and early 20's for I was asked out by so many fellas of my age group at the time. Well, asked out on dates and asked for just sex. I must have been glowing with gayness.

19. LILuke

Uhh...I...umm...

*Backs away slowly*

20. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Too few people accuse me of being gay. If anything I have been boldly asked by too many gay men if I am straight.

I take straight acting to the nth power - or so it seems.....

(sigh) this might be why I spend so much time single....