1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going with my heart. Deferring from uni and moving out of home!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sully, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Sully

I'm 20 and have been out of school for almost 2 years. I spent one year working and traveling and this year at uni. A lot of my friends have moved out of home, and I'd mentioned it to myself and others as a slight possibility, but an improbable one.

Only in the last couple of days has it really sunk in that this is what my heart is kind of yearning at me to do! It's about midnight at to moment and I can't sleep because of it! Two of my very close friends are looking at getting a house together and we've all said that we'd love to live with each other. I don't think I can just let that opportunity slide.

The plan would be to take the first 6 months of next year off to move out and work at the same time, save some money and then resume uni in the second half of the year.

I'll talk to my mum tomorrow, she probably won't be pleased but she'll just have to deal with it. Other members of my family will be irate! Mainly my sickeningly homophobic, catholic grandfather, whom to be honest I harbour no affection for but has been very generous over the years.

As I said, I can't sleep. I think this is the first time ever I've really felt like my heart is telling me to do something!

PLEASE!! I need some soothing words of wisdom from any and all right now and I know there's some very wise people on here!

#1 Sully, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  2. Nick07

:slight_smile: if you feel like this is what you want, go for it. Make sure you three have some clear arangement when it comes to paying for the living. Money can break any friendship.

good luck :slight_smile:

3. Sully

Thanks, we'd have a lease so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

4. monotone

It's great that you're willing to go with what you feel is right over what your family thinks is right.

Good luck!

5. penguin machine

There's a lot of learning that will come about by just being on your own. Don't bother going to school if you're not ready to invest an enormous amount of money into exactly what you want to do with your life. It's so easy to believe that happiness and success correlate with an education but it's just plain wrong. Happiness comes from within, success comes from commitment to and achievement of your goals. People either do what they love or what they're good at. Few people do both at work. Your career path can be either or, but you have to find time in your life to do what you love. What you love doesn't feel like work. Ever.

6. Sully

Thanks, that means a lot. I'm fortunate that I know exactly what I want to be doing career and education wise, so I don't have any fear of not returning to it. At the moment though, I think with all the personal stuff going on (relating to sexuality) I feel like I need to do something that'll change my life.

7. penguin machine

Don't be too tempted into completely unsettling your living situation because you think that one huge shift in lifestyle will automatically suit another. Sometimes changing one's place in the world doesn't leave a lot of time for changing oneself. I think you'll have a great time, just don't expect it to be easy. I know that sounds patronizing but, hey, have a good time and be careful. :slight_smile:

8. Ohhai

Best of luck xxx

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope it goes well.

We call these sabbaticals a "gap year" or something like that in the states. They can be therapeutic, or even necessary for someone's sanity, after high school or after some friction with the family. I wish I would have gone to college about 2 years after high school.

Please make sure you do go back. Most people do, but some don't. Good luck.

10. Sully

Thanks all. After finally getting to sleep after 1:30am, I finally feel sane!

We refer to them as gap years as well. As I said I've already taken one and this time it'll only be half a year. As far as going back that really isn't worrying me at all. I truely think that once I move out I'll be a lot more commited to uni. Not to mention that fact that I won't have to travel 2 hours each way to get there!!!!

11. Sully

Well mum wasn't particularly impressed with the plan, that was expected though :/

12. Sully

God my mum's amazing. She called me just then and said she's supportive of whatever I want to do (whether or not she really likes it) and she's happy to help financially to make sure I'm not rushing into anything!