1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got this in an e-mail.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GuitarGirl1350, Feb 26, 2007.

1. GuitarGirl1350

This is seriously effed up.
    I got this email from Human Rights Campaign and pasted it directly into here.
    ----

Dear Jack,

In Detroit last week, 72-year-old Andrew Anthos was riding on a city bus and was asked by a fellow passenger if he was gay. The passenger then followed Mr. Anthos off the bus and attacked him with a metal pipe. Mr. Anthos died from his injuries Friday night and according to media reports, police are continuing the investigation without any solid leads.

Under the current federal hate crimes statute, federal authorities have no jurisdiction to assist in this investigation, even if local authorities were to request that assistance. It’s past time for a comprehensive federal hate crimes bill and we cannot stand by and let one more person go unprotected.

Take action right now and urge your Representative to become an original cosponsor of the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act.

Our legislators must hear from us on this issue quickly as the right-wing extremist group The American Family Association (AFA) recently sent an email to their membership urging them to contact their Representatives to oppose any hate crimes legislation. In their e-mail, they claimed that if this legislation passes:

* "Polygamy will be legalized."
    * "Employers will be forced to hire homosexuals."
    * "Landlords will be forced to rent to homosexuals."

It is appalling to think that in the face of such recent brutal violence, any group would actively call for the defeat of hate crimes legislation. Yet the AFA continues promoting their hate-filled rhetoric aiming to shut down progress that would help deter violent attacks on people because of who they are.

2. nisomer

yea i got the same email. i read about the story a while ago though. but seriously its so stupid that gays and lesbians are not included in the hate crimes prevention act.

3. GuitarGirl1350

I was more referring to the tragic boycotting of the protection of our citizens by the american "family" association. But yeah. Let's hope it passes.

4. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    not sure about "Polygamy will be legalized" though to be fair

5. Will1975

Will1975 Guest

Unfortunate that people still hold these bigotted views... :icon_sad:

6. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

I also subscribe to HRC emails, got that one a while ago. Terrible, terrible story and even worse aftermath.
    :tantrum:
    It disgusts me that this "AFA" is asking the government to ignore people being brutally murdered and all because of their beliefs with religion. And don't for a second try and convince me AFA is not a christian or catholic etc. group. America is bigoted to the end, even their slogan discriminates. "One nation under God", it's practically encouraging narrowed mindedness. No offense to any americans here, hate your government and it's morals, not you.

7. GuitarGirl1350

Don't worry, I hate our morals and government too. Our country is riddled with hypocrisy.
    And no, the legislation says nothing about polygamy. I've read it in it's entirety and it's just adding to the civil rights and protection act. I wasn't sure what you meant though, JamieUk.

8. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Umm, i mean not to speak for him. So don't take my word on it. But i think he meant that the legalising of such a bill could lead to proceeding bills that encourage polygamy. I however see no connection between the two.

Maybe i misunderstood, and i don't recommend you judge him on what i've said. Until Jamie has had a chance to explain in his own words, we should reserve judgement....unless he takes more than 48 hours, i get impatient so then we'll jump 'em:lol: . Just kidding.

9. Qu_

Qu_ Guest

Honestly, their definition of a family is a man and a woman with lots and lots of kids. So they obviously support the emotional scarring of divorce or abuse or parents that don't love each other, as opposed to two loving parents of the same sex. But whatever. People will wake up one day. I don't really hate our government, and I see it as having room for improvement.

10. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    I really agree with you Kelly. I got the same email, and I think its completely atrocious that we have a government that allows a sort of society to develope that breeds crimes such as this. Of course, we cannot blame the government entirely, since there will always be hateful people in the world...but I still can't help but feel like if the government was harsher on the perpetrators of hate crimes against gays, a lot of this might not happen.

It would be so nice if all us gays of the world could form our own country, free from hate, violence, and poor fashion sense. However, even if this fantasy were feasible, we need to stay and fight it out. If America is going to remain the leader of the free world, America needs to be free, and the only way that will happen is if us gays have the determination to stay and win equality for ourselves and for all.

*thunderous applause at the well-worn yet true cliche*

11. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A couple of things. AFA and others use the idea of "leading to polygamy" and their other favorite "slippery slope" as fear tactics. There is no logical connection between GLBT people being included in hate crimes laws and polygamy sprouting up and running rampant. (On a side note, polygamy was fairly common in the Old Testament according to some Bible passages so why are they so scared of that?) They say things like this and gullible people believe it without ever thinking critically about it or getting the facts on their own. They believe what groups like AFA say without question, which is sad and dangerous.

The fact is that religion is included in hate and anti-discrimination laws and people choose their religion. I choose to be Christian. No one chooses to be GLBT so it has more merit to be included than religion does.

AFA also likes to scare people into believing that if GLBT are included in the hate crime laws then they could be arrested for spouting their anti-homosexual lies which they say are Christian based. In reality, they mis-use and mis-understand the Bible and do not show love toward their neighbors the way Jesus would, and a true Christian would.

We don't live in a perfect country, but I am thankful for the freedoms we do have and I'm glad to be in the US. I'm not saying the US is better than any other country, but some good things have come from our form of government. We could learn a thing or two from other countries, though. I hope for a better future with the Democrats as the majority in the house and senate.