1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas for School LGBTQ Club?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tzoa, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Tzoa

Hi everyone!

I recently joined my college's LGBTQ club, which was just reformed this year. We're having trouble coming up with relevant activities, though. We talked about a movie night, but that's about it. A couple years ago, when this club was last active, they had a prom, but it was such a huge flop, no one's interested in trying that again, unfortunately. I love a good dance, but they had spent hundreds of dollars and only sold ten tickets, so a dance is out of the question, at least for this term. A pride parade is out, too, as our city just had ours and it was so close to the beginning of the term, no one could go. :frowning2:

Does anyone have any ideas for low-budget events we can have? Thanks in advance!

2. Tzoa

3. puppy1000

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    haunted house
    ice breaker games
    ice skating
    secret santa
    water balloon fight
    laser tag
    hide and seek in the mall but have to turn on your cell phone to full volume and people can call you
    volunteer work
    swimming / pool party
    party at someones house
    bake sales
    go to a fancy restaurant

4. Silver Sparrow

Would this be events that involve the whole campus? If so: movie or TV show night (LGBTQQI* related), book readings, author speaking/some speaker, fundraisers, shows. If you can organize things around LGBTQQI* related days, that can also be good, as it's a good way to come up with ideas.

5. Tzoa

It's a very small school, and we would open events up to everyone. Book/author readings would be cool. Thanks Silver Sparrow! A lot of the ideas you brought up, puppy, would be cool, but at the last meeting everyone wanted to focus on ideas that were "relevant to the club". Not sure I care toooo much about that. LGBTQ events are great, but I think that it's enough to offer a safe, fun place for everyone, regardless of sexual orientation. So I think I'm going to suggest laser tag, anyway.

Thanks again!

6. Ashley

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My GSA made purple T-shirts for Coming Out Day last year. Mine says "Closets are for clothes".

We also had a movie night. The movie was about a boy bullied in school for being gay. You could sell equality merchandise like bracelets or keychains or something, and then use the money for another social event. Another big thing a lot of clubs did was participate in Relay for Life.