1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RoguesWolfe, Oct 1, 2013.

1. RoguesWolfe

Anyone else socially awkward? Or just do weird things when meeting people? Not really sure how to explain this besides using examples of what I do. I guess I'm also kinda wondering if anyone else does what I do. I know I cannot be alone in this. Soo I guess a list of stuffs I do and yeah I dunno. I haven't slept yet, and was curious.

Stutter around people ( sometimes even friends).
    Make random noises if things get too quiet.
    Playing with my hands a lot.
    Randomly dancing to just fidgeting when around others.
    Speaking so low that people can barely hear me.
    Cracking random jokes.
    Using different accents, sometimes in the same sentence.
    Making random faces at people.

Usually I'm really quiet and shy...but it's weird now that I've gotten older. It's like I am starting to not care anymore and just do random things, sometimes without thinking just to entertain people. But then I have my days of not speaking at all. I'll also talk about the most random things just to not make things awkward. So....anyone?

2. BiPenguin

Don't worry yourself too much about it. I have the problem of not knowing what to say, etc.

3. RoguesWolfe

I try not to worry about it. Most of the time I am in that mood where I don't have a care in the world. But then every now and then I find myself not being able to fit in even with my own friends because of it. In a way though I was also curious as to what others had to say, but hey thanks ^-^.

4. Hrantou

Man, you sound A LOT like me. I stutter, play with my hands, random dance (a lot), crack random jokes, use different accents (mostly british) and make random faces at what people are saying all the time.

I'm very socially awkward when I first meet people. But the more we hang out the more I get comfortable, and the more you get used to me :grin:

5. RoguesWolfe

Dude I usually use a British accent a lot XD. That's kinda awesome though. I've been told ( well when I'm in a comfortable mood) by my friends that it is like they are watching a cartoon. Like I'll go on these random rants, make weird faces while doing it, do some weird hand movements, all while going through different accents.

6. Pearcheese

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm usually quite loud and outgoing, but most of the traits you've mentioned apply to me too :slight_smile:. I suppose it's possible we're both weird in our own way, but that's not a bad thing. I wouldn't worry about it.

7. monotone

I do a lot of these as well.

It might actually end up in your friends liking you even more, ironically.

8. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are we twins or something? I don't stutter, but I do have the wonderful speech impediment of cluttering, which is a total bitch, and probably why I spend most my time on the internet.

Being awkward in social situations is never fun, I know. But I always think it's funny to see their reactions to the weird fidgety shit we do :grin:

9. Purrnalist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds very familiar... I stutter and fidget, play with hands and sleeves and pens and papers whenever I'm around people, sometimes even friends. I just feel generally awkward because of many things mostly because of the way I look and sound like. Then again, I can switch into the talkative mode when I enjoy talking and conversations a lot.

10. Pocky

Definitely relate to the speaking too quiet thing.

I never feel a need to 'fill in' silence though. Really I'm just quiet which I don't feel is like the real me. It's just that anxiety barrier that stops me from saying things that are on the tip of my tongue.

11. Skyline

Challenge accepted. Let's see, here's how we match up.

Stutter around people ( sometimes even friends). - YEP.

Make random noises if things get too quiet.

Playing with my hands a lot. - Sometimes.

Randomly dancing to just fidgeting when around others.

Speaking so low that people can barely hear me. - Yeah, especially when no one has said anything for a bit and I try to break the ice.

Cracking random jokes. - I don't joke very much :dry:

Using different accents, sometimes in the same sentence.

Making random faces at people.

12. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm.. Let's see.

Stutter around people ( sometimes even friends).
    Check.
    Make random noises if things get too quiet. Nope.
    Playing with my hands a lot. Double-check.
    Randomly dancing to just fidgeting when around others. Check.
    Speaking so low that people can barely hear me. Check.
    Cracking random jokes. Check.
    Using different accents, sometimes in the same sentence. Nope.
    Making random faces at people. Half-check.

Oh, and the only time I'm ever good at public speaking is if I've put together a presentation and I know what to say besides what's in the powerpoint. I've thought of making scripted videos so that I don't have to explain everything in person to large groups of people.

Some other things I've done is fallen asleep in front of friends, forgotten what I was talking about, and hummed really softly.

I also try and keep away from large groups of people, in general. I just don't like crowds. But this past month has taught me how socially awkward I really am.

#12 Jinkies, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  13. LadyLuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Its something that is really common. I spent some time having counselling last year and apparently those sorts of things can be linked to forms of depression :S
    Have you noticed that when you get like that if it is when something has upset or is bothering you?

14. RoguesWolfe

Usually when I'm upset I'll get really quiet, if I can't take it I'll just snap at them. But the random dancing, movements, accents, and such are usually when I'm in a good mood, bored, or hyper, it just depends though. The only thing I know is being bipolar, maybe that has something to do with it?

15. GirlWhoWaited

I do most of those things. And I make obscure pop culture references that no one understands. :slight_smile:

16. Chels

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm definitely socially awkward. Being around a lot of people that I don't know or that I'm just not comfortable with makes me nervous and I think the shift is really obvious. I go from chatting to almost shutting down completely. I don't do it on purpose, I just can't really help it, and suddenly find myself without anything else to say, my brain just goes blank.

But I never really paid attention to what I do, if I fidget or grind my teeth, or any of those little things. I guess I do on some level, maybe I just don't really realize it.

17. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm, well that list isn't comprehensive for me. But...

I do occasionally stutter, though this is usually because I overthink what I'm about to say too quickly :S
    I mutter a lot. Think out loud sometimes too. There've been lots of times people haven't heard what I've said.
    I don't crack jokes in the joke-y sense all that much. My kind of jokes are mainly injokes threaded through a conversation or just taking the piss out of current events, so I'm not really one for one-liners anyway.

My main problems are running out of things to say (happens a lot, awkwardises lots of conversations) and large groups. I cannot operate in a large group, if I find myself in one I have to talk to one or two people in a sub-group to talk. I'm sure it's really common, I know a few people who are the same way. It seems like a kind of vicious circle though, the less you engage with groups the harder it becomes to begin.