1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think biphobia from people within the LGBT community is unacceptable ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

I once had a bi guy for a boyfriend, he was sweet, fun, cute and he was a good boyfriend for me (we split amicably when a long distance relationship was seen as something we didn't want, we are still friends and skype etc.)

Anyway when we were an item my gay friends said stuff like "He will leave you for the next cute girl who walks past"; "He is just a gay guy in denial", "He will cheat on you for the first girl who tries" , "He is just greedy" , nonsense like that.

Why are some people so cruel to bisexuals? I never understood it

2. Zac

Zac

I guess because they don't get it?
    My brother has said bi people are greedy but I think it's rubbish. You can't help it if you're attracted to both

3. blueberrymuffin

Yeah it has to do with ignorance, thinking bisexuals are hyper sexual and sure to cheat on their partner, or that bisexuality doesn't even exist and so they are too weak to come out as gay. It's especially pathetic when it comes from within the spectrum. You'd think we would learn to not judge. Some of them need a long chat with someone who is bi.

4. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Yes, because not of just ignorance but of a double standard as well; "Oh us homosexuals exist and we're not in denial anymore! But you Bisexuals, you guys in denial and needs to realize that." -_-

5. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^^ mmhm. I think it's kind of funny, although mean.

6. LinkLarkin

Biphobia from anybody is unacceptable. But it is particularly hypocritical coming from the other letters of the LGBTQ community.

7. DrkRayne

I wrote a blog on this. I can't stand bi-phobia. It angers me. I know lesbians have a giant issue in the community with bi-women

This is part of what I wrote in my blog

We need to quit being so upset with bi people. We don't support them. We confused bisexual with whores or heteroflexible women and men

8. SlytherinGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    DrkRayne, your post really struck a chord with me. It's almost like you read my mind and frusturations. I've never cheated, been promiscuous, and don't feel the need to be dating both genders to be satisfied in a relationship. Or any other nasty thing people have said Bisexual's do. Out of all the letters, I've always felt that we are not truly accepted. I have been ridiculed by Lesbians, they've said all the things that you mentioned straight to my face. At first I was incredulous, thinking, "I struggle just like they do. We both face Homophobia, we should be supporting each other." And then of course that isn't the case. Of course, I know not all Lesbian's are like this, and I know it. Still, I never thought I'd have to be dealing with Biphobia and Homophobia both so frequently. We occupy the difficult middle ground, and I couldn't escape from it even if I wanted too.

When I used to say I'm straight, it felt wrong. If I tried saying I was Lesbian, that would also feel wrong. Because I am neither, and I know there's nothing wrong with that.

What you said about Bi-Racial people also caught my attention. I've met several, and a lot of them could understand how I felt. They often felt like they did not belong to either race they were a part of, and they were often feeling left out of both. With Bisexuals the situation is similar, and I still feel that way unfortunately. Even though I've known who I am for years, I still feel this way. And it can be horrible at times. Everyone LGBT needs to stand together and support eachother, not tear eachother down in private.

9. Chels

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This pretty much sums it up for me. I've never really had this problem simply because I'm not out to a lot of people, but I still feel like of all people, homosexuals should be the first to understand how it feels to face biphobia.
    A lot of them fight for equal rights yet, when it comes to bisexuals, apparently those rights don't apply anymore. I think we're all on the same boat, no need to point fingers.

Just like DrkRayne said, it feels like we don't really belong to either of those groups.

10. lukeluvznicki13

I think that's terrible /:
    Yeah bis are often discriminated, bullied and main fun of like they can change their minds on liking a gender in 5 seconds etc...its really sad and I do hope that if I do come out to more people in the future, that they don't make fun of me x.x

11. Lewis

Yes. Biphobia is something I will not tolerate. If somebody has the potential to cheat regardless of whether that be with a man or a woman - they will do it anyway.

A gay person is just as likely to cheat as a bisexual person. I do not know how some gay people have the audacity to question the existence of bisexuality when being gay has been questioned so much in the past and continues to be questioned now.

It shows that we are all capable of prejudice, regardless of what we have been through in our own lives.

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Biphobia is never acceptable, and those in the queer community should especially know better. Why does it exist? They feel threatened, envious, confused, or self-righteous. Maybe we remind them of a time they were still coming to grips with their sexuality, or of heterosexual privilege, or their own shortcomings. Whatever the reasons, it's still prejudice and needs to be called out if our goal is equality for all LGBT.

13. GirlWhoWaited

I'm both bi-racial and bisexual. :eusa_danc I've spoken out a few times about my feelings on biphobia. Even if it's hard for people to understand, it shouldn't be dismissed or seen as a threat. DrkRayne, thank you for your support and powerful words. They are very touching.

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    + 1

Biphobia not ubiquitous among GL folks, but it's definitely noticeable.

15. Ohhai

I don't get it, it's pathetic!

16. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A few thoughts based on observation, not that it makes it any more acceptable:

-Some gay people in a relationship with a bi person may feel insecure, because of the sheer number of potentially attractive people their partner is exposed to (the bi person can be potentially attracted to about half the population vs the gay whatever percentage 10% or so)
    -Some gay people irrespective of their relationship status may feel jealousy towards bisexual people (or group at large), again because of the sheer number of people a bisexual person may find attracted to
    -Some gay people may find jealousy because a bisexual person has the option to pair up in a relationship that is much more accepted by society in general (how many times have we heard someone say, in explaining their orientation is not a choice that if they could change and become str8 they would, because life is so much simpler)
    -Thinking of the entire spectrum of non-cis-hetero population as one community might be oversimplifying things just a bit...

17. Hrantou

I find it funny that a lot gay people, who are so looked down upon around the world and have a long way to go for equality, can be some of the most judgmental and shallow people around.

It's ignorance. Honestly, if someone is gonna cheat on you or whatever, its because they're a horrible person, not because they're bisexual. Its hypocritical of the gay community to be bi phobic then turn around and cry that no one gives them equality.

18. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's never acceptable, no matter who you are. I don't necessarily think homosexuals are less likely to discriminate against bisexuals though. People tend to conveniently forget about how they've been treated and anything out of the ordinary will disturb certain types of people, no matter how much discrimination they've received themselves.

19. GayTornado

I don't get biphobia within the gay community at all. Just because they are bisexual doesn't mean that they are a slut. It just means that they are attracted to more of the population. I don't get it... we are supposed to be people that don't discriminate, especially about what we've been through or what we will go through, but we still shun our brothers and sisters that need as much help as we do/did.

20. Hexagon

Yeah, its unacceptable. Enough said, really.