1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Coming Out a work a smart decision?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by visible, Oct 1, 2013.

1. visible

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, I've been working on myself lately, trying to be as free as possible. And I got to thinking that about being in the closet. I'm out to all my friends and family, they don't particularly like my lifestyle, but they're alright. They make dumb comments, and I brush it off. But I remember that feeling of a weight being thrown off my shoulders. It was like, alright, they know, and I'm still alive. I could then go about my business.

Now when I go to work, I'm constantly trying to figure out what people are thinking, maybe they know. It's a huge distraction and it leeches off into my me time. I'm thinking about just letting the cat out of the bag and free my mind.

Are the repercussions bad?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you work in a state where there are no protections from being fired if it is found out you are gay?

Even if it were illegal, you need to somehow figure out what people think about LGBT issues, but only the ones that count (those in a position of power over you).

If there are no obstacles, it still seems to me that it is no one's business unless they need to know (marriage for example, benefits etc.).

Sorry, when it comes to workplaces, there are several potential minefields you will need to avoid.

3. Miss Loopy

Reading this, I was just like "Hell yeah!" but now I've read this, I'm a little uncertain.

Can't believe that can still happen in such a developed country but hey... kind of disgusting...

4. visible

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'll have to check the IL laws. I've pretty much stayed away from the subject with people, but in other words, it's pretty dicey?

5. Tiny Catastrophe

I came out to the people I work with and one girl actually came out to me after that lol. It kind of just came up in a conversation everyone was having about relationships and someone said "he" referring to one of my exes and I kind of just said "she" and they were like "oh okay" and the conversation continued. The company I work for is not allowed to discriminate based on sexual orientation. Made sure I found that out when they hired me so for me its not a big deal but like everyone said, you should definitely look up the laws where you live.

6. visible

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's 2013, I can't believe this is still a problem. Knowing me, I'll eventually get tired of evading the subject and just say it. Maybe, hiding is just a crutch. I don't know

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, when it comes to workplaces and money, people get a little...funny. Caution is advisable, but so is the freedom to be yourself. As with much in life, it's your task to find the right balance...