1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think we need more Visibility?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by visible, Oct 1, 2013.

1. visible

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've been thinking for awhile about why the world is having a hard time with the LGBT community, and in turn why many of us are constantly unsure about ourselves, or closeted. (Including myself) I think it's because we don't have enough visibility, and I'm not talking about the straight actresses playing LGBT roles. I'm speaking about everyday, aren't they so cute, kind of scenes. The world needs to see that we're not aliens.

How? Majority of the world owns the mainstream media. The haters aren't necessarily thawing out. So how do we make ourselves seen? Better yet what will it take?

What do we need to increase the visibility of the LGBT community? :bang:

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Isn't this already happening? Compared to only a decade ago, a lot of shows are having gay characters. But, ultimately I don't really like when they had a token gay character as if checking a box for appeasement. I like when the characters can stand on their own and just happen to be gay.

3. dazedanconfused

It's pretty much out there if you ask me. At least gay and lesbians are!

Bisex and trans people are not far behind :slight_smile:

But when I turn on the news, open a book or a magazine, LGBT is everywhere. I mean, it's more popular than ever!!! I can't turn on the radio without hearing "Same Love" on every radio station lol. And that's great!

Plus look at what congress is doing with same sex marriages. It's more out there then people realize. Heck, the other day I was trying to use same sex marriages as a topic for a social issue/change paper but went with something else because I realized I was just trying to stir shit up. >:slight_smile: but were seen, at least I am. And on top of that, it's attraction more than promotion.

I know newly un-closeted people who feel the same way as you. In time, you'll feel that the skin fits just fine and that it's doesn't matter who sees what and who doesn't. At least that's been my experience. It's almost like having on socks. No one even cares if I'm wearing them, and to be honest, neither do I!!

4. 2112

I think we have enough "visibility", but not all of it is good. A lot of gay characters in TV shows are stereotypes. I have nothing against effeminate gay guys, but we're not all the same. I don't think I've ever seen one that was just another character who just happened to be gay. It needs to be a little more realistic.

5. Split Arrows

You should watch Torchwood, then :icon_wink

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LOL, I was thinking the same thing!

7. Ohhai

I don't know how to become more visible than we already are...

8. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not visibility that is the problem...people hiding behind religion and resistance to changes in society are the problems these days.

9. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think tv is the answer. I would like to see gay couples walking down the street or whatever. I never do for some reason.

10. LILuke

This. I think that's a step that our media has yet to take as a whole, but you can see a slow gradual shift in that direction.