1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do gays/bisexuals have better spelling than most people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BearLover, Oct 1, 2013.

1. BearLover

BearLover Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Nearly everyone on this website has really good spelling. I know that this bisexual man in my life has really good spelling he even uses quotation marks all the time and perfect punctuation. Most people in society, especially on my facebook friends list have terrible spelling, they don't use punctuation either, half of their sentences don't make sense because they write it so poorly.

Even I am really picky to what words I use and I hate spelling things wrong.

Apparently one sign of spotting a homosexual is when they are picky as this is a feminine trait, some of them even talk clearer than straight men, just take a look at this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVMCfIfakJQ

He talks in a way that is really clear, you can just tell he's gay.

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Western World, and at least the U.S., seems to use the word articulate in a derogatory manner at times. Let's build some stereotypical linkages. They say that G/B men tend to speak earlier, score better on verbal tests, and thus excel at academic pursuits. They are also more represented in literature, journalism, public relations, and media type jobs. If a straight Senator or news commentator with a family is on TV, his being articulate is not criticized. If someone G/B, or thought to be, is in a conference room or making a presentation, albeit not affected in any way, their being articulate may be criticized behind their back, and sometimes even to their face. I've gotten snide remarks about it to my face, so I'm sure they've been made behind my back. Couple that with neat and thorough work correspondence. It's not a feminine trait. It's just not a grunting, macho trait, even though clarity facilitates better work for everyone.

3. Sarcastic Luck

No. I have plenty of straight friends that spell things just fine.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    + 1

I do too. The smart ones.

5. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also have a gay co-worker whose emails make me cringe due to the horrific spelling and grammar mistakes. The fact that those emails go out to customers is downright embarrassing.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's more the nature of this site than the abilities of the users. It's a little more formal, and it's much easier on EC to concisely explain something with clear English than do it multiple times, as you can on Facebook.

Most people who seem to have terrible English on-line aren't actually nearly as illiterate as it seems.

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    U M3aN lYK3 DiS?

8. Aussir

I know plenty of straight people that can write/spell properly. It's a matter of education really... and maybe even some intelligence.

These days, kids don't learn anything properly and teaches have to keep them "floating" for fear of hurting the poor darlings' feelings or make them feel stupid or some such. I grew up at a time that if we didn't know our shit properly, the teacher would land on our heads mercilessly.

If I want to I can typ lyk dis 2. However, I find that way of writing an absolute aberration and don't even use it on text messages.

Also, don't even get me started on the crap with "they're", "there", "you're", "your". "where", "we're", "were" and so on... :tantrum:

#8 Aussir, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  9. iHateThinking

no u meen to spek in dolan.
    dolan spek is de best spek.
    ---
    I dunno, it's a variety. I have one gay friend who's pretty darn intelligent/articulate, and another who uses "u" and has god-awful sentence structure. It's probably just the forum itself.

Honestly, I've been around people who use Dolan speak so much I can speak in dolan without an issue. Though I think it might be a contributing factor of my feeling of a deteriorating intelligence. :lol:

10. chartreuse

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes wee defanetly hav beter speling then strate peeple. And are grammar is perfict to.

But honestly I don't think that is true. It's a stereotype. Your academic capability is not related to your sexual orientation, so I don't know why that would have any effect on spelling and grammar.

11. BearLover

BearLover Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    But nearly everyone on this website has good spelling, I don't think gays are educated more, they are just more careful of what they write, straight people most of the time just don't care about spelling. Other forums usually have people with bad spelling all the time. The stereotype of gay men being more flamboyant and caring more about their appearance (for example quickly looking in the mirror to sort your hair.) is probably true. It's only a stereotype and it doesn't apply to everyone but stereotypes aren't usually made up.

12. LD579

Confirmation bias, plus the atmosphere and culture of this forum, likely serve to have perpetuated that LGBT+ people are better at spelling. I'm quite sure that's not the case, or even if it were, not on such a noticeable level.

For example, in text messages and on facebook, sometimes I use word shortcuts and skip out on letters and/or punctuation. On here, I'm much less likely to do so.

13. Ticklish Fish

everyone on this website have good spelling because it's enforced? idk

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's somewhat true for the ones who are really noticeable that way, but probably not for the ones off the radar screen, such as truck drivers, school sports coaches, and production manufacturing managers.

Stereotypes don't offend me because some are observed frequently, often within the GLBT community and for radar purposes, and psychological and media studies evaluate patterns in preferences and attitudes. That G/B men like disco and dance music more than straight men, relatively speaking, could probably be quantified.

15. Diego89

I don't know but for some reason I find good grammar to be sexy... Don't even ask!

16. Hrantou

Aha so do I! Sorry but if I meet a guy and he spells like a kid who just got his first cell phone, its a HUGE turn off.

There's just a huge difference between "i luv u" and "I love you."

Now I don't think it's gay people who are better. I think its just the person.

17. Chels

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Amen to that.

I know straight people that have perfect grammar, just as I know some homosexuals that make me cringe whenever they write something. I don't think it's related to their sexual orientation.

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All right, so I watched the YouTube. His issue isn't about his clarity, it's about his inflection. It's affected and camped up, so that it fetches viewers. I'd bet that he speaks somewhat like that as a baseline, though, say he was selling you a dress shirt in a department store.

However, what he said was sort of correct: the clues are either in the eye contact, or in who you catch someone looking at, as a recognizable pattern. Not 100%, though, but in the 90+% range!

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    IDK if bi has anything to do with it, but most people I know consider me a walking dictionary. The video might be onto something. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'll typically find that on forums, the spelling and grammar is superior to that of other social media. It fucking annoying to discuss matters that affect us all with someone who writes along the lines of: "ohemgee like rite??? i totes no wat ur saying bra, ecwality fo all!" and other such horrors. Facebook is where that shit belongs. :l

There's also that nice recommendation that no one under the age of thirteen joins this site. Although I'm sure lots of people don't follow that, it does filter out some hooligans.

I don't know if homosexuality has anything to do with it, but wouldn't this well-spoken theory tag female LGBT members as more straight? I don't know, just tossing words around.