1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on the legalization of weed?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, Oct 1, 2013.

?

Legalize marijuana?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2013.
  1. Yes

64 vote(s)
    70.3%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Don't know/don't care

11 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. Who thinks that weed should be legalized?

The way I see it, if booze and cigarettes are legal, then weed should be too. Weed is not as dangerous as cigarettes and alcohol. Also, marijuana is used for medicinal purposes in just about less than half of the U.S. No one has died from THC overdoses because you need to smoke tens of thousands of joints in order to be at risk from dying.

I strongly do not believe that weed is a gateway drug. If anything is a gateway drug, it's tobacco. Most drug abusers were cigarette smokers.

The bottom line is: Just legalize marijuana and tax it like tobacco.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe in banning the sale of marijuana, alcohol (for drinking, that is), and tobacco, as I think that they are terrible and harmful. However, banning the use of a drug doesn't do anything but make people scared to get help for addiction. Treat it like a public health issue, not a crime.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely, think of all the money we'd save. We never learned from the result of prohibition.

4. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not into marijuana, but I couldn't care less if it's legal or not.

5. 2112

I agree :slight_smile:

6. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone wants to privatize the sale of marijuana and tax it. That may make it more palatable to some voters but I think its a really bad idea. Last thing you want is corporations trying to increase their marijuana sales. Instead I like Uruguay's approach. They allow the sale of marijuana in state run facilities. You are also allowed to grow 2 or 4 (can't remember)plants for personal use. In addition they allow for coop's with a limited number of members. I think it was 25 or 40. This allows a variety of ways to get your weed but while a grower could make a good living running a coop no one is getting rich off of it. Last thing we need is Joe Camel selling weed to 14yo's.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know and I don't care that much. Articles that are pro and con abound.

Since its use doesn't interest me, I haven't read up on it where I could make an informed judgment. Some friends and acquaintances may like for it to be legal, though. If my doctor one day prescribes me medical marijuana, I'm sure I'll be reading up on it in a hurry.

---------- Post added 1st Oct 2013 at 10:16 PM ----------

That's a new one to me. And this is for recreational use?

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it should be legal.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm generally opposed to consumption of drugs for pleasure, but legalization might be worth it to put a hurt on the gangs and cartels.

10. imjustmeok

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Should be full legal everywhere. I'm an adult and I should be able to choose what to relax with when I get off work. I drink alcohol because that's all that's legal here. I smoked weed when I was younger and that is what I would choose today but it's illegal so I drink alcohol. I would much prefer it if weed was legal then I could give alcohol the boot.

11. Hexagon

In favour of legalisation. Politicians are stupid if they think making something illegal stops it happening. It just makes it more dangerous.

12. imjustmeok

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Agree. The only thing dangerous about weed besides smoking and driving is getting arrested for it. Jail is hell. Legalize already.

No one tokes up and gets angry and fights. They do drink and get angry and fight.

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm still totally for the legalization and taxation of marijuana. You could grow a complete, well-oiled business and market off of it, opening up thousands of jobs, making many people who are in heavy poverty into very wealthy people within a few months or at least putting them in the middle class, and evening out the economy significantly. Marijuana is consumed in more ways than just smoking, so you could have farms like you'd have for tobacco, but then you could also have factories that bake them into foods. Put a label on them to not give them to kids, and you should be set. Furthermore, there are tons of people out there still looking to get into advertising. This would give those people a great opportunity for that. There might even be jobs created to preserve the quality of the weed. Designated places to smoke weed that are ventilated well might be put around so that people who don't like the smell of weed don't have to.

And then we know how good it is as medicine. My guess is that jobs for putting it into different forms or with different medicines might be created.

But then what about schools? Shouldn't kids not smoke weed in schools? Well, yeah. But that's for the school to make that rule, then. "Don't smoke weed in school" much like "Don't use you phone in school, or you'll be sent to the Dean". Something that's embarrassing and easily avoidable. Done. I'm shocked that people like Obama and Biden talk all this much about creating jobs and not supporting the legalization of marijuana when really, if weed is legalized, that would be an easy move on 2 big issues, killing 2 birds with one stone.

I just find it really silly that on a drug we keep finding a vast majority of positives over negatives, we have it illegal and those who smoke it are put in jail, when really those people haven't hurt a soul and could really benefit from working in a market that sells it.

14. BiPenguin

I don't use it but yes, it should be a regulated industry. All this underground industry has seen this innocent plant full of health benefits be bred into super plants that has grown so toxic that some cause mental health illness. Regulate it. Tax it. Sell it.

---------- Post added 2nd Oct 2013 at 05:33 PM ----------

Banning alcohol. Hmm, ever hear of Al Capone?

15. Joanne

Banning stuff like this doesn't work, its not the laws job to tell us what we can and can't do to our own body and life.

16. Ohhai

No. Not good at all. People down play the long term affects of marijuana, and don't realise quite how dangerous it is.

17. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No-one lives in a bubble. All drugs will affect not only the user, but the people around them. Not to mention that simply saying you can do whatever you want means a massive burden to the public health system once the result of the drugs gets bad.

Simply banning the consumption of drugs is never going to work, but by no means can the government be tolerant of drugs.

18. Beware Of You

Well since its less harmful than tobacco and alcohol then it should be.

As long as it is used in moderation then you should be ok

19. imjustmeok

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You have to remember that most people enjoy substances in moderation. The people that overdo marijuana would overdo anything they use. Exercise, caffeine, work, booze, etc. Alcohol is legal and we all know what it does when abused. It's horrible. Cigarettes kill as well and they are legal. Marijuana is much safer than either of those.

Remember the key term: moderation. Don't look at something as if it will be used to its max. Look at it as if it will be used responsibly. Because most adults will use it responsibly. The only legal drug that is really really bad today if used moderately are cigarettes. Those things are death. Even alcohol if used in moderation is better than smoking cigarettes.

20. BiPenguin

All this carrying on about weed that we see going on yet the silence on alcohol is deafening. In Australia, alcohol is the number one driver of assault, domestic abuse, causes more road accidents than speeding, killer of human organs, etc.