1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Dances?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tic Code, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Tic Code

Since Homecoming is just around the corner for my school, I thought I'd ask your opinions on school dances. When you were/if you are in high school, did you ever go to Homecoming or Prom? If you did, was it usually fun or was it awkward? Did you dance all night or were you a wallflower? Did being gay and the complications of dating/finding a date affect whether or not you went?

For me, I've never been comfortable with going to dances. For one thing, I'm just really self conscious, so I feel awkward going to them, plus I can't dance to save my life. All of my friends want me to go, but I feel even more awkward since most of my friend groups have couples making up a majority of the group, so I feel like an awkward extra wheel, even if someone else in the group that is single. I'd definitely want to go if I had a date, but obviously I really want to go with a guy, but I can't since I'm closeted (and I'm pretty sure my crush is straight). I don't know. I find that with stuff like this, the biggest thing keeping me from going and having fun is probably myself.

What about you guys?

2. 2112

I won't go, and probably couldn't anyway.

3. TheMailman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This, this exactly.
    However, tonight I'm actually going to give in to them, and go to the first dance, since, I dunno, about two years ago. I have no idea what it's going to be like, but at least my crush (Who knows I'm gay, is on of my friends and may be gay himself), is going without a date too. In fact, most of my closest friends are going date-less. But I'm awkward and can't dance either. Well see how it goes.

4. Hexagon

I hate dancing and I hated school.

5. Pocky

I would always hang around with a group (guys, girls or usually a mix of both) and eventually I'd end up getting "matched" by someone else...with a girl of course.

Wasn't a bad thing but there was little of the obligatory grinding and whatnot :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. BiPenguin

I didn't go to my school graduation dance. Wasn't interested. I only attended a few school dances in my first year of high school and never went back for another. Just not my thing.

7. Hrantou

For me most of them were fun when I was a freshman/sophmore (just started high school) Me and my friends were all new and it was something we all never did and we had fun. Dancing was no big deal since everyone looked kinda dumb dancing anyway.

I know what you mean about dates though. The more formal dances like Prom were made for 2 things really: Big groups of friends, or dates. And being gay, I could never take a date that I actually wanted. And my friends paired off after a while into couples, which made me the 5th or 6th wheel, which is no fun.

My advice: If you wanna go, then go. It can be a fun experience. But if you really don't want to go, then don't go. All the talk of "It's high school! You'll never do this again!" is bullsh*t to be honest. Its just a dance. My friends used to make dance nights into other hangouts. Like on dance nights we would all go to a movie or stay at a friends house and sleep over and play games or whatever. That can be just as fun. Just a suggestion.

8. mkchoco

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I personally don't like dances at all (i'm awkward, i don't really "let loose" so dancing is weird, plus the loud noises and music) so the only reason I would go is if I were going with a date. Just me. The friends i'm out to tell me I should still go with my (most likely straight) crush as friends but I'm a girl so I guess that's fairly normal
    maybe if your crush is going you can go too and just hang out?

9. prism

You should go at least once. If you absolutely hate it, then don't go next year. :slight_smile:

I didn't plan on going my freshmen year of high school (I wasn't a fan of school dances), but a boy asked me to go with him a few days before. It was fun! Find a few friends to go with and leave together if it sucks.

10. Strathclyder

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I never went to any school dances. Never felt comfortable with that sort of thing.

11. justjade

Eh.... Well, I never went to prom, but I went to homecoming twice, and then when I was in college, I was asked to a dance by a guy who was still in high school. He was my best friend at the time. That last one was the only fun one because we (sort of) started a mosh pit, but then the principle broke it up. I never went to prom because it was one of the many things that was unreasonably expensive, and I was told by my parents that I had to go, but I had to pay for it all myself. Yeah, fuck that.

12. DakotaInPlaid

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to prom as a Freshman because I was too nice to turn the guy down. I pretty much hated it. It was overcrowded, loud, and really awkward. My date wouldn't dance at all, and just knocked the whole thing and made fun of everyone. I dance with my friends for one song and he literally bashed me about it. I won't go to any dances this year, or for Senior year next semester. It wasn't worth all the trouble.

13. Chels

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Bless European schools that don't have proms.

If they did, I wouldn't know who to go with, and I'd find it extremely awkward, being always the 3rd, 5th or 7th wheel.

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went, had dates, and danced as little as possible. I love fancy events and dressing up, but hate dancing and rap music. Those last two make it a "glad I went but glad it's over" kind of thing.

15. Bolin

I never went to dances...wasn't popular or attractive enough.

16. nichison

I went to my homecoming dance my freshman year and hated it, i just cant handle lots of people and lots of noise. It dang near drove me insane

17. TheAMan

I took my girl best friend with me to Homecoming and Prom and had a blast! I even got to see her make out with another girl which was like the best thing ever! So if all else fails just ask a lady friend to go and dance with you.

18. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was too shy and never went to school dances except for one Freshman "lock-in", where a guy (a semi-friend and a jock) I had known from elementary school literally dragged me to dance with some upperclassmen girls, including one I knew well because we were both in marching band. It was very stressful since I didn't know what to do and I got out of there as soon as I could. Even though I was (and am still) in the closet, I could never bring myself to feign attraction to girls.

19. Californiacoast

I found myself in highschool loving the dances. For one, I was a really good dancer. Most dances were after football games, and I played football. I always had a date with a girl, but many times spent the night with my jock friends after the dances. Prom was fun, but I made it clear to my date no sex was coming. I cant imagine bringing a guy to the dance...this was Mississippi after all. I was so far in the closet. We all were.

20. SurprisingDanny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah I didn't go, partly because it didn't sound that interesting to me, because it seemed and everyone told me that it really was just an excuse to wear tuxedo and dress up and take photos.

The other reason would that if you wanted to take a male date tot the ball, you had to go sign a form at the headmaster's offce confirming that you two were in a relationship and not just cheating to save money on tickets (which is kind of crap considering the straight couples who went were mostly just friends...) and I didnt have a boyfriend.