1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who is greatwhale?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by greatwhale, Oct 2, 2013.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings folks,

I’ve noticed that there’s this full member here at EC who goes by the name of “greatwhale”. He doesn’t seem to have had the sense to capitalize the G, for some reason, but, it is what it is….

He’s got around 2700 posts and 66 friends. There’s this other member, Nick07, who actually quoted him in his signature!

He lives here in EC’s cyberspace eternity, dispensing a little wisdom from time to time, sometimes a little humour (he thinks he’s funny) and he’s on this site pretty much every day…I’m just wondering who this guy is? Is he even a guy? The pictures...right…well, that could be anyone….

Still, “he” can write a decent sentence, or come up with something he’s read somewhere that’s pertinent …what a show-off…and he’s so sentimental sometimes, don’t you think? He’ll even inflict us with his poetry, or try to impress us with his languages. He’s so weird…I mean, who converts to Judaism? What was that all about? And he’s always using three dots to make a point…

Some of you have called him “Mr. Whale”, or “GW”, or even “g-dub”, but who is he (or she, or it)…really? I mean, the guy who came up with that name, and who keeps writing under his name can’t possibly be anything like him, could he? I mean, nobody’s like GW…I have it all figured out: he’s someone’s persona; an offshoot of someone’s best self, divorced from all the other crap that normally comes as a package deal inside one body.

People here at EC seem to respect him, look up to him or ask him for advice from time to time. I guess he’s pretty impressive sometimes, God knows he impresses me…I wish I were more like him…someone’s best self, expressed in words. I wish I could live up more often to the advice he gives to others. He seems so sure of himself, so together…I wish I were that guy...more often, instead of the tired, often confused, horny and procrastinating slug that I can be.

No. I haven’t lost my mind… :dry: I just wonder, with this strange Forum technology, if ever I were to meet any of you in the flesh, whether you would see GW, the GW in your minds…or someone else entirely…and who is that someone else, exactly? :icon_wink

2. kresukun

You're messing with my brain. :lol:

But you are a person that anyone can talk to, good or bad. You are just a good dude to us all. (*hug*)

3. Hefiel

Rumor has it that greatwhale is a robot from the future, from 2803 to be more precise, to read books like "We've had a Hundred Years of Psychotherapy - and the World is Getting Worse." after the first Alien invasion destroyed all sources of knowledge and media in 2587. He's also been seen participating at a Pride Parade in Montreal, likely to study the behavior of humans in this day and age.

It's just a rumor though...

4. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Yes!
    Own your weirdness gw! I love my Dancing bananas &....too!
    (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(*hug*)
    Your a friend-brother-sanity bringer on EC. How many times have you helped straiten out my head ? Lots! I noticed recently how many times I have used the word strait but never in the context of sexuality. Being mature I laugh to myself everytime. See I can tell you that and know you won't judge me!
    Btw- I like me better on EC too! (*hug*)
    Ps lots of people convert to Judaism. It has many beautiful traditions.

5. biggayguy

If greatwhale is female I don't want to know. I have a serious crush on his persona.

6. Ticklish Fish

most non-troll people on the internet tend to be genuine and who they are online, so i wouldn't mind.

though if you speak with a canadian accent i might have trouble with some words.

7. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dear Mr. Whale,

You are truly dear. But the questions you raise, I ask about everyone...in real life as well as online (ok, replace "if I met them in real life" by "if I really got to know them", but it's the same idea).

And yes, I ask the same questions about myself. Am I *more*...or *less* myself online than I am in real life? An idealized version of myself? And if so, is there any harm in that? At least we have this opportunity to be idealized versions of ourselves...the very best of what we have to offer. Yeah, not safe standards by which to choose a life partner...but that's not what most of us are looking for here.

What I'm saying is that if you're less of a person offline than you are here, then you're *more* of person for being here. I certainly hope *I* am (ok, I'm projecting...I'm probably less well-known and less well-regarded here than on another site, but the principle still applies, dammit).

And if the Fates ever conspire to give us that long-desired real-life meeting space or Empty Closets Convention or whatever, then we'll get a chance to see if people would recognize us. I feel we mostly would. Some physical details might surprise us, but I think we'd move past those quickly, because we're used to connecting on a different level from the physical anyway. Would we recognize your personality? I dunno. Would you recognize mine? Not sure...I'm pretty introverted by nature, but that doesn't come across in a place where the only time you know I'm here is when I'm talking. But I think we'd all enjoy ironing out those epiphanies.

Anyway...you sound like you might be a little down on yourself at present. If so, please know you have *at least* 66 people from whom to seek comfort.

Love and respect you, whoever you are,
    -- Annika

8. Gen

Gen

I saw greatwhale reading We've had a Hundred Years of Psychotherapy and the World is Getting Worse, so I read We've had a Hundred Years of Psychotherapy and the World is Getting Worse. @_@

Even I can't resist an opportunity for a Mean Girls reference....

9. Split Arrows

greatwhale is someone who always has something pertinent and thought-provoking to say.

Any thread that I jump into, whenever I see your avatar, I just know that something good is coming!

10. RainbowMan

Sometimes, I feel like a completely different person on EC than in real life (or even in other places online). For instance, here I'm totally out (duh) and a generally helpful guy, but if you were my friend on Facebook, you'd think I was straight (and Facebook certainly does, showing me ads for single women - NO THANKS! :grin:). If you knew me in real life, depending on who you are, you might know the real, gay, me. You might know the guy who loves baseball and doesn't have a significant other. You might know the IT geek. You might know the guy who likes board and card games. Of course, nothing says you can't know more than one of these people simultaneously, but I honestly can't think of anyone (except perhaps my best friend) who knows all of them.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think GW is the real deal. I'd bet he's much the same in real life - philosophical, intelligent, and humorous - as he is on screen.

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much for your compliments dear friends.

In a way this thread was a way to address those compliments and their effect on me.

So I tried something called "goofing on the precious self", an idea I've read about with regard to a way to address the problem of ego and the more pernicious forms of narcissism that pervade our thinking. The writer, James Ogilvy, called it "narcissism degree zero", whose best examples were Muhammad Ali ("I am the greatest!") and Norman Mailer (his book cheekily entitled "Advertisements for Myself"). Here's how Ogilvy describes it:

"Narcissism degree zero achieves a benign annihilation of self through a self-involvement so thorough that the nothingness, the nihil at the heart of the self, cannot fail to be discovered. Narcissism degree zero swallows its own navel. By setting itself high on a pedestal of exhibitionistic display, narcissism degree zero renders itself purposely vulnerable to incendiary laughter and ridicule. It is a dangerous game that deconstructs the Goal of self-realization even as it appears to construct a monumental ego."

I've been getting quite a lot of compliments on this site in response to my postings...and it has started making me nervous...chiefly because I was beginning to like it a little too much. Some of my first threads mention my ego as enemy number one; it has been partly responsible for keeping me in the closet, this separation of my "true" self from a created self that was above all this coming-to-terms business...

I really enjoy all of your responses, and I really enjoy the compliments as well. But my chief pleasure is giving you all something to think about...

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    GW, since you have woven in the concept of narcissism, what is narcissism to you? People are using that term a LOT lately, with reference to politicians, white collar criminals, and entertainers. A narcissist, in my mind, requires a cluster of features. It can be entitlement, arrogance, indifference to the plight of others, vanity, a lack of empathy, and then some. Since I can be a little hung up on appearance, I'd safely say I have a vain streak. However, I wouldn't call myself a narcissist. For me, the main event is the completely lack of empathy for others, because some people, either through conditioning and/or deep wounds, have come to develop this mindset. So, in your estimation, what is a narcissist?

I'm off to the gym. LOL.

14. Miss Loopy

... are you saying you're not a whale in real life?

Wtf GW, how could you lie to us all?!

15. Spaceman

Since you brought it up GW... who's the young stud in the profile pic?

16. lukeluvznicki13

17. GirlWhoWaited

I know! I was so impressed that he could type...

Honestly, though...(ellipses are awesome) people compliment you because you give good advice and are a genuinely decent guy (from what we get to see). I get your point, but no one expects you to be perfect in real life. Unless you moonlight as a supervillian, you have nothing to worry about. :slight_smile:

18. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

OH! You mean that GreatSap!!! The guy that's so in touch with his emotions and - more often than not - ours too. Not to worry, the next time you wander into my winery, as I pour you a few tastings and we get to talking, I'm sure you'll exhibit at least a few of the many facets of yourself that you share so generously with us here in our virtual closet.

We are all multifaceted and I think on EC we expose them all - our fears, our joys, our desires, our wisdom and our vulnerability. I'm certain most of those spill over into the everyday world as well. You just don't have the benefit of a perpetual digital record of those tidbits of wit and wisdom you let fly in RL to prove it to yourself.

---------- Post added 6th Oct 2013 at 11:49 AM ----------

:lol: :eusa_clap :badgrin: :grin: :roflmao:

Damn! If greatwhale is female I DO want to know, 'cause that's the only hindrance to my own serious crush.

:wink: luv ya anyway, ya greatsap!

#18 Dragonbait, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2013
  19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ha. It's GW. I thought that guys in college who sort of had hair with that sculpted look were lucky. Mine was both wavier and messier.

20. Miss Loopy

Time for a GW fan club?