1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bitou, May 31, 2008.

1. bitou

bitou Guest

Do you think that Higher Education ( 4 years college and more) is important in a way to have a success in life?

I do, I stronly believe that real Education start in college. It does not mean that the secondary education is not that important. I think that secondary edutation constitut a base that we must have in order to succeed in college.

2. panda

Yes. These days a college or university education is almost mandatory for getting a good job and a decent wage.
    There are other ways such as apprenticeships .

3. Blitzkrieg

I am a strong believer in a college education. These days the job markets are so competitive that without a college degree, it's a lot harder to find a decent, well-paying job.

4. musicgirl112233

5. Bryan90

Education -> High Starting Wage (True)
    Education -> High Starting Wage -> High Wage -> Success (False)

It really all depends on what you want to do. In a few circumstances where you become a sole proprietor, you really don't need a 4 year university education.

And sometimes, if you really know what you want to do, enrolling in programs and courses is better than getting a degree (i.e. farming... )

6. sexyalex

I will have to disagree with you.

education starts from birth and NEVER stops.:dry:
    however, to have sucess in life, u don't need to go to collage so to say. or have a collage education to make u smarter. YES one may say, collage certificate will look good on ur resume BUT, ideolisim is key in the corporate world today and it is no longer than man with the most experience or the most collage cirtificates that gets the job, it's the man who has the most originality and be of highest asset to the organization.

However, to make big money, auditors might recommend that you do an extra course, in ur feild, specialize, get a BSC or Phd. but this is only to raise your pay. and not in all cases, while in the public sector where ur paid base on qualification, in the private sector your paid base upon performance.

so i will have to disagree with you today. sorry :slight_smile:

My goal is to be a young entrepeneur in the fashion industry...and personally, i would rather employ an immature high school graduate rather than a first degree student from Yale! because while the high schooler will have out of the box thinking, the degree student might have a filterd knowledge of sector (only what he or she learnt in collage). and beleive it or not, it's the art of re-invention and creativity that creates productivity in almost any business; especially in the fashion industry (style comes, and style goes...then comes back again with a twist).

Alex.

7. davo-man

It completely depends on what you want to do in life. For instance, people who want to become an electrician shouldn't go to university. It'll be a waste of four years in which they could be starting their career. They should be trying to get into an apprenticeship.

Conversely, if you want to get into a career such as law, then yes, you definately need to have a degree. I'm doing Computer Science, and while you might get an IT technician job without a degree, you aren't going to become a top-level IT/IS manager without one.

So, in many fields I think a degree definately boosts your chances of getting a good jobk, but in other fields there's simply no point

8. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    College is the best way to get a degree and most likely a higher paying job but not all the time. And college isn't for everyone, which is perfectly fine. That's the individual's choice to make. :slight_smile:

9. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my sociology modules was on Education. :grin: twas pretty boring really.

The education system is a chain that links together. Everything is important as without it your chain breaks and you can't go further without it. Over in UK we have GCSE's until 16, and then we have the choice whether to go onto Advanced Levels (or other qualifications) or whether to leave education. We spend 2 years constantly hearing about GCSE's, and when you leave and do A-Levels they are never mentioned again. If you have them they're not important, but you can't get a good job without them either. If you want to have a good job then you need to pass school, college and university (or school and college for you international peeps). The education system is meritocratic so those who work hard will be rewarded. It is also designed for people to fail as not everybody is meant to pass these exams otherwise the boundaries for these lower paid jobs that people must do start to get pushed up.

It's a carefully thought out system, and it is rather unfair that it is designed so that some people fail. Education as a whole is very important because it isn't designed so you can pick which area you want to do. You need to do them all and pass them all. GCSE's will be useless to me when i am at university, but i wouldn't have been able to progress to A-levels without them, which means i wouldn't be able to go to university in the first place.

10. darkestknight

I'm in College now! :grin:

11. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

Even though I am going to college, I feel it has nothing to do with success. It is the size of our will which determines our success.

12. bitou

bitou Guest

I think that to contribuate in this society , you have to be educated. Education is not only to have the greatest work , it is also a better way to help us understand the society. Education open the door of understanding others. Education gives built in us a spirit of creativity, and critical thinking. Those who are less educated , sometimes are more stereothipical, judgemental , and sometimes limited . I think , the more you know , the more you learn , the more you try to understand the better you are .

13. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Education in linked to success a majority of times, in my opinion.

14. Alex

We dont have college here, but 9 years in basic school is mandatory, and then 3 years in "gymnasie" is nearly required for everything except practical stuff like electrician or garbage man.
    And i believe its very important, countries wont be succesful unless their people get educated, and thats a proven fact.

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The education part of college helped whip my brain into shape better than it was in high school.
    The time I spent with my dormmates changed the gawky, weird, insecure kid into the fun-loving gargoyle you've met on these boards.
    The actual subjects taught? Less important than those two.

Lex

16. To me college is nessacary,
    but in all of the careers I see myself pursuing.
    Some people can take a career route that needs no college education what so ever.
    So I think it depends, on the personality and career path they choose.

17. htfaul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just finished my sophomore year of college and I absolutely think its necessary both for success and the experience it gives you.

18. sexyalex

i resent that! check urself young man

i know many poeple who never went to collage and they contribute greatly to society. In jamaica, in the last election..the opposition used the stunt of saying the prime minsister did not have a doctorate and so she was not fit to be the leader of a country.

and right now poeple regret voting him in. yes that same fat man who said on BBC's HardTalk that he will never allow gay to be appart of jamaica's cabinet and inciminated homosexuality in jamaica more than it already is. and he has a so called Phd. and what? is he so called "educated" enough to know that homosexuality is not a CRIME.

what u don't know is that collage education does not put a value on someone's intelligence; and while there may be people out there who go to collage and work hard and actually do come out and don't even have a job because they are labed in the working world as "over qualified" individuals, some of them BUY their way out of collage or buy their degrees or masters.

seriously, we need to wake up.:dry:

19. jayy237

education needs to be rethought

not just because the current system doesnt suit me - i guess in a strange way it does. but because i think it should focus more on life skills/morals/a way of thinking. doubt it could ever properly happen but no religeon should be taught in school, rather a set of values that are enforced and that peopel abide to. a more liberal society but one where people know there are consequences for their actions

the way to improve society is to improve peoples understanding in how the world works and what is and is not acceptable, not making sure an extra 2% of people a year can do trigonometry a little bit better

suppose for that system to come into play though everyone has to think the same way. and if everyone thought the same way, we may aswel go staight to communism

20. eclipse

eclipse Guest

A higher education so far has done more than just, well, enhance my span of knowledge. I've gained incredible amounts of experience in my profession that I would not get anywhere else, even if I were to launch right into the field of which I desire to work in. The great part about attending a college is networking with other individuals who have similar goals to yourself. Everyone wants to get a leg up on society, and thus you help each other achieve that goal.

In addition to professional advancement, there's also the personal and relationship experiences. I'm in a community of people that has no issues with the fact that I am gay/bi (I still question that sometimes) and I've been able explore my sexuality without fears.

So yea, a higher education tends to be pricey, especially if you go to a private school like I am currently doing, but the benefits in my opinion are incredible.

Keep in mind, every school has a different goal and that's why you should take the time to find one that properly suits you, should you choose to attend a college or university. I couldn't be happier with my choice. I'm in a sprawling urban environment (Boston), full of young college students and am attending a school that fits my professional, educational, and personal needs. Don't just choose a school because it might look good on your resume. Choose one that you'll be happy to actually live at and accept as a new home.

Wow. I kinda got worked up on this thread, but school is really important to me, so that just came rolling off the tip of my fingers :grin:

#20 eclipse, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2008