1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you meet your partner?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Siarad, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Siarad

For those lucky enough to be in relationships (for the purposes of my question - with the same sex) or who have had relationships - how did you meet your partner?

I am finally at the stage of coming out that I would love to have a relationship now (having avoided the truth about my sexuality for so long) but I have no idea how people ever manage to get into same sex relationships. In my town (the largest UK town that isn't a city) I know about seven lesbians, four of whom are in relationships with each other (to clarify, I mean two couples!), two of whom are colleagues and I don't fancy them anyway and one of whom I really do fancy but she is taken. I am going to a local Gay Book group, which is where I met three of the seven lesbians but it is definitely and rightly a friendship group not a dating group. I am trying the online dating thing and got quite a good conversation going for a while with a woman but I've not heard from her in ages and my experience of online dating is that people seem to drop in and out and it never actually leads anywhere.

I'm sure that dating is difficult for straight people too but at least they have a much larger chance that the people they fancy are at least into their gender!

So, sorry for the mini-rant/moan but I am fascinated to know how people in same-sex relationships managed to meet and get things going.

2. Johneh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Me and my partner stayed on the same street for nearly 15 years but we didn't really know one another. Then I signed up to gaydar the dating website. I wasn't expecting much from it. Well my partner had just registered also and we got talking. I noticed from his email address that it had the name of our street in it so I asked where he stayed. Then a couple days after we met up and we have never been apart since. :slight_smile:

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We met I think the first week of high school, and got involved romantically two years later. Neither of us knew the other was gay! It wasn't until he said to me that he was gay that we took that step, at which point I just kissed him.

And now we live together. To almost everybody else, we're "college roommates."

4. DrkRayne

Online. Craigslist. We are both lucky neither of us were killers. LOL.

We were both in the closet when we met. 3.5 years later were engaged :slight_smile:

5. penguin machine

I met my boyfriend on a dating site, it was fairly straightforward. We got to talking, he liked my attention to detail and my careful grammar and spelling, a fairly unusual sight on the website we were using, and eventually he gave me a phone call. We stayed up talking all night for several night that Christmas, (Our first call was on Christmas eve I think) and within a matter of weeks we had a date planned. We went to a museum in Toronto, hit up a fancy restaurant, and spent a night at his house watching movies. I went to visit him for several more dates after even longer phone conversations, and then I asked him out. That was 8 months ago :slight_smile:

I also wrote a blog post all about using a dating site. It's basically just what worked for me, so I suggest it to anyone who's willing to try their hand at the online dating world :slight_smile:

6. Ohhai

I met my ex on Facebook *cringe*

7. leer

he's a friend of a gay mate we met @ an elbow gig nearly a year ago fantastic night out . it was months before we got together

8. pokerface87

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We work together. I always said I would never date someone I worked with...well, what do you know.

9. AKTodd

I'd just moved to Virginia because life in Arizona wasn't working. My best friend lived here and kept trying to get me to move here, even offering to let me stay rent free with her and her husband until I got established. Eventually I took her up on the offer.

Within a few days of moving to VA she introduced me to the internet (this was back when dial-up was the only option if you weren't a company and the internet was in its infancy), specifically chat rooms. I started chatting in different rooms, eventually landing in one titled 'Gay VA'. Started talking with the people there, particularly one guy who had an odd screen name. I asked about it and he explained it was a mix of state abbreviations of places he had lived. In the course of that he mentioned he'd gone to the University of Az. So we had something in common. That led to more conversations over a couple of days, a phone call, and a meeting for dinner that ended with me getting home at 4:30 the next afternoon :grin:

I moved in about 3 mos later and the rest has been 16yrs of history.

Todd

10. maracont

The awkward area between bible belt and large city
    Well my friend invited a friend of his to our Skype call and we sort of hit it off.

Oh you say I haven't talked to him for months?
    Oh and I don't know if he's gay?
    And he lives in CANADA!?

Oh in that case I'll get back to you on that when I can.:icon_bigg

11. Virus

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok first , it's awesome now you're coming out. (Grats for telling people. ^^)

Well , I'm single. Last week Thursday I had my heartbroken. qq Nob.

But anyway yeah I met my ex bf in Gay pride Swansea. We were aaaall a little drunk and I saw his wings , they looked awesome so I asked could I have them. Now I have them. ;'3 (Obviously had to make a way of convo to get them)
    So yeah anyway , that started pretty much everything off , started talking / raving for God knows how long. Gave each-others numbers out , text the next day , met up regularly and then got together for 2 and a half years.

We broke up cause people kept telling us one is cheating on the other and it's ridiculous , he was with me most of the time when he apparently cheated. > [] <
    But yeaaa paranoia got to him , I couldn't deal with it soooo single. QQ

Moral of the story : As long as you have a hand with fingers , you should be fiiiine.